[eTools] ...and Netscape

Geomancer

First Post
Any chance that eTools can be used in conjuction with Netscape 6.x or am I going to have to bite the bullet and reinstall IE? I've seen the posts about the IE updates that will be needed and am not relishing the prospect...

Thnx.

Tarek

Explorer
I.E. 6.0 & E-tools

E-tools requires IE 5.5 or later to print and I think to generate stat blocks (although I could be wrong about the latter).

Unfortunately, E-tools calls IE directly, and you cannot substitute Netscape Navigator.

I would suggest getting IE 6.0. Fortunately, you don't have to use IE 6.0 for anything other than E-tools; you can tell IE to NOT make itself your default browser, and even if it ignores you, you can always go back to Netscape.

Tarek

smetzger

Explorer
gariig said:
I'm curious....what is so bad about IE??

Its not Open Source and MS has proven untrustworthy when it comes to reporting bugs and security leaks. Not only that but MS has gathered personal information in the past without and in fact against the permission of users.

I think someone had at one time figured out exactly what DLLs where needed for e-tools.

If you do install IE and don't use it. Turn off all Active-X in IE. That will greatly increase security.

gariig

First Post
smetzger said:

Its not Open Source and MS has proven untrustworthy when it comes to reporting bugs and security leaks. Not only that but MS has gathered personal information in the past without and in fact against the permission of users.

Open Source is really hog wash, that is not a reason to NOT use software. If all you use is Open Source software you get a lot of half-try attempts. Yes, there are a few nuggets out there, but a lot of open source stinks.

As far as the information gathering, I know that. However, it's Windows that does it and not IE...

Gariig

smetzger

Explorer
gariig said:

Open Source is really hog wash, that is not a reason to NOT use software. If all you use is Open Source software you get a lot of half-try attempts. Yes, there are a few nuggets out there, but a lot of open source stinks.

Let me clarify. I don't use IE because I don't trust MS. I use Netscape because its Open Source, and because its Open Source I feel more secure that the code is not seruptitiously gathering information about me.

kreynolds

First Post
smetzger said:
I don't use IE because I don't trust MS.

It's not that I use IE because I trust MS. It's not that I use IE because I think open source = sloppy software. I use IE because all the other browsers on the windows platform are crap. :)

smetzger said:
I use Netscape because its Open Source, and because its Open Source I feel more secure that the code is not seruptitiously gathering information about me.

Neither IE nor Windows gathers any information about you, smetzger.

I do that. We can always see you, and we can always hear you. :D

Last edited:

dagger

Adventurer
Open Source would be nice, but I like buying hardware or software and having it work everytime.

I know my IE and Windows dont send information to MS without my permission.

When it comes to Netscape and IE, it is basically just like coke and dr pepper. They both taste ok and do what they need to do, give you sugar and caffene!

Last edited:

Geomancer

First Post
gariig: its not that IE is necessarily "wrong;" I prefer Netscape since I am more familiar with it. I've used IE before, I've used Opera before, and, frankly, inspite of the features that each of these others offer that Netscape might not, I'm still more comfortable with Netscape than I am with any other browser.

Tarek, smetzger: thanks for the info. I went poking around Netscape and some developer sites trying to find work-arounds for this -- more or less confirming that IE is hard-coded into eTools in the process. Sounds like someone forgot a "System Requirement?"

Sm!rk

First Post
AFAIK nutscrape doesn't use or understand XSL, so regardless what fluid did, nutscrape simply is not able to perform the same task. OS or not, boo hoo.

They both sux I still use Lynx and all of you ar'e tools...

:p

Remove ads