[etools] Skill bonuses and equipment order

Gyoza sausage bun

First Post
Sorry if this asked and answered before.

I can't seem to find a way of adding user-defined skill bonuses. Is there a way to apply, say +1 competence bonus to Profession: Soldier for being in the army?

Also equipment seems to come up on the equipment list on the character sheet in the order it was bought. Is there any way to change this?

Thanks

Last edited:

EricNoah

Adventurer
You can overspend your skill points. So if you want to give the character a +1 in a skill, spend one (or two) more skill points than you have.

No idea about the equipment order. What order should it be in, in your opinion? Alpha, sorted by type, other?

Gyoza sausage bun

First Post
EricNoah said:
You can overspend your skill points. So if you want to give the character a +1 in a skill, spend one (or two) more skill points than you have.

I thought of that but I didn't really want to artificially inflate my ranks in a skill given that so many prestige classes and feats use ranks as prerequisites, not the total bonus. I'd rather generate an additional feat called Army membership or something if that will work.

Edit: Spoke too soon, I can't figure out how to do that either.

No idea about the equipment order. What order should it be in, in your opinion? Alpha, sorted by type, other?

By type then alphabetically within type in my opinion but customisable ideally. For example, on my current character I misentered the number of pitons I owned and the extra pitons show up seperately at the end of the list (actually its much more tangled than that as I bought my 50 items in no particular order as I figured out the system).

Why I would like customisable is to seperate things like my horse's gear from my own (it has its own large sized waterskin, blanket, etc.) or to group items by theme (the items borrowed from Jozan, items in my belt pouch, or whatever)

Last edited:

thalmin

Retired game store owner
Why I would like customisable is to seperate things like my horse's gear from my own (it has its own large sized waterskin, blanket, etc.) or to group items by theme (the items borrowed from Jozan, items in my belt pouch, or whatever)

I just created a "monster" of my horse and gave him the supplies I didn't want my character to carry. I found that the horse can't carry as much as stated in the PHB or MM.

Following the rules for encumbrance by STR and size, the books miscalculated the carrying capacity of mounts, unless there is a modifier for 4 legs vs 2. As it stands, a heavy horse with saddle and the weight of a typical human , no equipment, is at or over the limit for light load (max speed)

Gyoza sausage bun

First Post
thalmin said:

I just created a "monster" of my horse and gave him the supplies I didn't want my character to carry. I found that the horse can't carry as much as stated in the PHB or MM.

I could certainly do that, however it does stuff up the total equipment value calculations which my DM likes to see. It also becomes fairly onerous to swap stuff around from saddlebags to standard equipment.

Following the rules for encumbrance by STR and size, the books miscalculated the carrying capacity of mounts, unless there is a modifier for 4 legs vs 2. As it stands, a heavy horse with saddle and the weight of a typical human , no equipment, is at or over the limit for light load (max speed)

I'm sure there is such as 2 vs. 4 leg encumbrance rule but I can't find the reference right now. If you reverse engineer all the beasts of burden its definately +50%

Christian

Explorer
SRD:
The figures on Table: Carrying Capacity are for Medium-size creatures. Larger creatures can carry more weight depending on size category: Large (X2), Huge (X4), Gargantuan (X8), and Colossal (X16). Smaller creatures can carry less weight depending on size category: Small (3/4), Tiny (1/2), Diminutive (1/4), and Fine (1/8) ... Quadrupeds can carry heavier loads than bipeds can. To determine a quadruped's carrying capacity limits, use Table: Carrying Capacity, multiplying by the appropriate modifier for the creature's size: Fine 1/4, Diminutive 1/2, Tiny 3/4, Small 1, Medium 1 1/2, Large 3, Huge 6, Gargantuan 12, and Colossal 24.

That's in the 'Carrying, Moving, Seeing' section of the SRD-should be in the 'Adventuring' chapter of the PHB.

Feaelin

First Post
Gyoza sausage bun said:

By type then alphabetically within type in my opinion but customisable ideally. For example, on my current character I misentered the number of pitons I owned and the extra pitons show up seperately at the end of the list (actually its much more tangled than that as I bought my 50 items in no particular order as I figured out the system).

By the same token, I'd like it to group like items together...buying rations and the like got a little ridiculous. A quantity field, perhaps!?!

bitz

First Post
Oh yeah, in my stat block section under Possessions...

Javelin; javelin; javelin; javelin; javelin; javelin; javelin; javelin; javelin..... etc.

Ergh...

EricNoah

Adventurer
Yeah that's messy. They can do it with spells (like in the stat block), they should be able to figure out a way to do it with items (on the character sheet and stat block if no where else).

javelin5

First Post
I don't have the time, but...

Someone could write an XSLT that transforms the XML output of equipment from: javelin, javelin, javelin, javelin... into
javelin (x10). When I took a XML course awhile back I seem to remember the ability to loop and count when transforming the XML.

So, is there anybody ambitious out there. If no one writes a solution, then if I remember I will try to make a variation XSLT to fix this. If I do I will post and explain how it was done in the XSLT. This might help newbies...I hope someone else does this before the weekend.

javelin5

Remove ads