• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ever hear a song that makes you think of D&D?

Malovech

Explorer
Here is what I listen to while writing games:

Rush - Caress of Steel, 2112, Fly By Night, Hemispheres
BOC - Fire of An Unknown Origin, Cultosaurus Erectus
King Crimson - In The Hall of the Crimson King, Lizard
America - Various
Yes - Fragile
Fleetwood Mac - Rumors

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
Malovech said:
King Crimson - In The Hall of the Crimson King

see look what you've gone and done, now i had to put that on.

Emerson, Lake and Palmer's "Lucky Man" has always made me think of a knight or paladin. (while we're on the topic of King Crimson)

Black Sabbath's "The Wizard" is not only one of that band's coolest songs, it is *perfect* for D&D. ;)

Thunhus

First Post
We used to play loudly Hail and kill by Manowar before/during big fights.

Hail and kill

Brothers I am calling from the valley of the kings
With nothing to atone
A dark march lies ahead, together we will ride like
Thunder from the sky
May your sword stay wet like a young girl in her
Pride
Hold your hammers high

Blood and death are waiting like a raven in the sky
I was born to die
Hear me while I live
As I look into your eyes
None shall hear a lie
Power and dominion are taken by the will
By divine right hail and kill

Hail, hail, hail and kill, hail and kill

My father was a wolf
I’m a kinsman of the slain
Sworn to rise again
I will bring salvation, punishment and pain
The hammer of hate is our faith

Rip their flesh
Burn their hearts
Stab them in the eyes
Rape their women as they cry
Kill their servants
Burn their homes
Till there’s no blood left to spill
Hail and kill

Those were great times...

Thunhus

NiTessine

Explorer
Well, most power metal is very D&D. Not Sonata Arctica, though, since their stuff is more like "unrequited love gone horribly, horribly wrong and now my life sucks and I must whine" instead of the typical power metal tone of "with my epic sword of victory I shall vanquish the evil hordes of the Abyss" or "me and my leather-clad Viking brothers with bulging, oiled muscles will honourably lay waste to this opposing army in an orgy of blood". Not that Sonata Arctica doesn't roxxor my boxxorz, it's just that it's not D&D. Except for "Wildfire", maybe.

There's one song, though, by the Finnish band Kilpi ("Shield"), called "Sumun maa" ("Land of Mist") that reminds me very vividly not only of D&D, but also our Living Greyhawk region, the Principality of Naerie and its themes. It's uncanny.

Wagner's Ring Cycle also has a definite D&D vibe going, but then, some metal bands have been known to state that Wagner was the first heavy metal composer...

Edit: Man, it was downright treasonous of me not to mention Teräsbetoni, the Manowar of Finland, the best heroic heavy metal band of all time. They are so D&D it hurts.

Could you please not cut off my other arm, now?

Last edited:

rexartur

Explorer
Poor child

My 11-year-old daughter asked me about the AC-DC D&D song the other day. When I said I didn't know which one she meant, she put her hands on her hips and in an exasperated tone said, "Dad, you know, "Dirty Deeds, Dungeon Keep." I had never felt both proud and ashamed at the same time before.

Algolei

Explorer
rexartur said:
My 11-year-old daughter asked me about the AC-DC D&D song the other day. When I said I didn't know which one she meant, she put her hands on her hips and in an exasperated tone said, "Dad, you know, "Dirty Deeds, Dungeon Keep." I had never felt both proud and ashamed at the same time before.
Awww, heh heh heh, that is so cute, and funny.

As I mentioned in the other thread, i have found the Battle of Evermore to be very inspirational. I also based a campaign on several songs from Enya a few years ago. Jethro Tull has also provided a great deal inspiration for me over the years. Thick as a Brick, Heavy Horses, and Minstrel in the Gallery are probably the best.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads