• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Every god in D&D...ever

jester47

First Post
Well the wilderlands books were "official" D&D as well as some modules. Included in CSIO is the temple to the God's of Pagena, and a few others. The Players Guide to the Wilderlands has a lot of cool gods in it.

Aaron.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Clueless said:
New updates from Dragon #12, #13, #16, #19, #20, #27, #29, #54, #334, and The Temple of Elemental Evil, Persian gods, some new Japanese and African gods, Oceanic gods, Polynesian gods, ancient Middle Eastern gods, and Australian gods.
Just to clarify the ancient Middle Eastern gods are from the Sumerian and Babylonian pantheons, similar to what we recently saw in Dragon #329. Also in there are some forgotten gods of several beast cults from the Forgotten Realms that have never seen print anywhere else, written by Ed Greenwood himself!

jester47 said:
Might you add the gods from the Wilderlands? The Wilderlands was sort of the Cool uncle of D&D and several judges guild products were official D&D products...

jester47 said:
Well the wilderlands books were "official" D&D as well as some modules. Included in CSIO is the temple to the God's of Pagena, and a few others. The Players Guide to the Wilderlands has a lot of cool gods in it.

I'm currently in the process of trying to acquire and look over more of the Judges Guild books, but because I'm unsure what products exactly to look for, it's slow going.

The original City State of the Invincible Overlord was not a D&D product. It says right on the cover "A Judges Guild Universal supplement". Beyond that and The Unknown Gods, I haven't reviewed any of the old Judges Guild products yet. If you see one that's clearly called out as being for D&D and has entries for the gods themselves, please let me know.

As far as I can tell, The Player's Guide to the Wilderlands is a d20 product, and thus not eligible for this list.

William Ronald

Explorer
Thanks for the update!

Now, I will offer some more advice!

Research: The internet can be a great resource for DMs. So, perhaps doing a search on various real world mythologies might help. Or, use some of the resources cited at the back of your gaming books. For example, Nyambe -- African Adventures has several good reference works cited at the back of the book. If you are using deities from the World of Greyhawk setting, do yourself a favor and check the Living Greyhawk site.

Libraries; If you have access to a public library, or a university library, go in and do some research if you are using a deity from a real world source, you might be able to find a book with some information --- and maybe a few good plot hooks.

Regions: In the real world, many deities were only worshipped in specific regions of the world. This may be an option for your campaign.

Clergy: Different religious orders may focus on different aspects of the same deity. For example, some clerics of Apollo may focus on prophecy, others on sun worship, healing, music, or archery. By having different sects in a campaign focus on different aspects of a deity, a DM can differentiate between various sects and temples. (In the preceding example, most temples of Apollo might have someone knowledgeable in each of these areas -- but characters might have to travel to a distant temple to find those most skilled in prophecy.)

jester47

First Post
Alzrius said:
The original City State of the Invincible Overlord was not a D&D product. It says right on the cover "A Judges Guild Universal supplement". Beyond that and The Unknown Gods, I haven't reviewed any of the old Judges Guild products yet. If you see one that's clearly called out as being for D&D and has entries for the gods themselves, please let me know.

As far as I can tell, The Player's Guide to the Wilderlands is a d20 product, and thus not eligible for this list.

If you go to DriveThru RPG and look up Judges Guild, you can see among the covers the cover for the original CSIO. At the bottom you can make out DUNGEONS & DRAGONS. So I would say go for it. The god listing in the d20 version is one that is compiled from the original sources. So I would say have at it.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
jester47 said:
If you go to DriveThru RPG and look up Judges Guild, you can see among the covers the cover for the original CSIO. At the bottom you can make out DUNGEONS & DRAGONS. So I would say go for it.

The closest I can find is the entry for the City State Player's Map, which isn't the same thing. DTRPG doesn't appear to have an entry for the original CSotIO. While the map does say "D&D" on the cover, it doesn't have any gods that I know of.

The god listing in the d20 version is one that is compiled from the original sources. So I would say have at it.

Even so, it's still a product by a third-party (of second-party materials to boot), which, as I say on the list, means it's outside the scope of "D&D" and thus that list.

jester47

First Post
Alzrius said:
The closest I can find is the entry for the City State Player's Map, which isn't the same thing. DTRPG doesn't appear to have an entry for the original CSotIO. While the map does say "D&D" on the cover, it doesn't have any gods that I know of.

Ah, I thought that was the cover for the original CSIO. My bad. Well, I gave it a shot. Maybe asking on the Necroboards someone would know of any gods were ever mentioned in the approved D&D Wilderlands stuff.

Clueless

Webmonkey
Latest Update! (and bump)

New gods added from Dragon #102, #110, and #113, bringing the download to 189 pages of godly goodness.

Truth Seeker

Adventurer
Clueless said:
Latest Update! (and bump)

New gods added from Dragon #102, #110, and #113, bringing the download to 189 pages of godly goodness.

Strike that goodness part, I did a inventory count before the update. There is like over 297 gods of evil or evil intent alignment:confused: . Lord, now must do recount.:uhoh:

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Truth Seeker said:
Strike that goodness part, I did a inventory count before the update. There is like over 297 gods of evil or evil intent alignment:confused: . Lord, now must do recount.:uhoh:

That's not so bad. I've counted a little over 1100 gods so far (it was 1126, but I was manually counting, so I'm not sure that's correct), which means evil has less than one-third, so all's well (though I'm not counting the deities with no alignment listed). ;)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads