D&D 5E Everyone Should Play Custom Lineage by Default

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
it's one of the most important features in the game, and I strongly believe that variant human and its all-mighty extra feat was entirely balanced on the lack of darkvision. No such balancing on custom lineages.
Yeah, it is pretty darn strong and was a point of balance for the variant human to not have it.

People who don't understand the value of darkvision must play in very friendly games where the DM didn't pin-cushion the PC carry the light spell. ;)

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I get that but I expect them to chance that just like they changed bladesinger.

I personally don't have a problem with it. People are complaining for balance reasons when there is nothing unbalanced about a human taking elven accuracy or infernal constitution or whatever.
And I think there is zero chance they change that because they're clearly not giving you all the benefits of an underlying race without the drawbacks of those races. And by that I mean they're not going to give halflings a 30' speed instead of 25' speed, a medium height so they can use two handed heavy weapons instead of a smaller height, and darkvision when one of their major drawbacks is lack of darkvision. One of the only "benefits" the PHB have left that this custom lineage doesn't give them is access to a special set of feats. I don't think they will be making that change. But we shall see.

Olrox17

Hero
Dude, the light spell is a cantrip and you can just buy a torch.

Dark vision is so overrated here its not funny. Id take the skill over darkvision unless playing a race that usually has darkvision
Ah, if you think having light or a torch is equivalent to having darkvision, then we most definitely come from very different D&D styles.

In my campaigns (and frankly, in any serious campaign I have ever played) adventuring in the underdark, in a dungeon, or outside at night using light or torches is tantamount to carrying a big neon sign saying "the heroes are here". Best case scenario, you get ambushed. Worst case scenario, the 6-8 moderately difficult encounters the DM planned for today suddenly become one massive and deadly recipe for a TPK.

embee

Lawyer by day. Rules lawyer by night.
Dude, the light spell is a cantrip and you can just buy a torch.

A) You are holding a torch. In your hand. Meaning that you can't use that hand.
B) It's a torch. In the dark. You now fail at stealth checks.
C) It's a torch. It's on fire. You are carrying an open flame above your head. Unless you feel like carrying it in front of you. Which will blind you.
D) It's a torch. It's burning. And it will burn out. And when it does, you will be blind.

If you take a torch into the Underdark, you will die. Quickly and horribly. Don't even try to compare it to darkvision.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
A) You are holding a torch. In your hand. Meaning that you can't use that hand.
B) It's a torch. In the dark. You now fail at stealth checks.
C) It's a torch. It's on fire. You are carrying an open flame above your head. Unless you feel like carrying it in front of you. Which will blind you.
D) It's a torch. It's burning. And it will burn out. And when it does, you will be blind.

If you take a torch into the Underdark, you will die. Quickly and horribly. Don't even try to compare it to darkvision.
Not all of us play in the Underdark. I can count the number of encounters I've had where lighting played an issue over the past year on one hand.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Step one: take Eldritch Invocations feat
Step two: take Devil Sight
Step three: see in complete darkness, magical or not, within 120' as if it was bright day.
Oh, so you are playing the game where you get to abuse class features because they make stupid things like that into feats? Gotcha.

Another reason why such ideas are nonsensical (pretty much most of the stuff in Tasha's) and abusive. Anyway, for the people who want the features as feats, you can use Custom Lineage and bam any PC can start with 120 devil's sight, without even having to be a Warlock.

What I find hilarious, is that now if you use such options you can have Eldritch Invocations before a f'ing WARLOCK can (unless vhuman or custom lineage, of course... :rolleyes: ).

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Not all of us play in the Underdark. I can count the number of encounters I've had where lighting played an issue over the past year on one hand.
YMMV, of course, but in 95%+ of every session light is a tactical factor due to either being underground or an encounter at night; take your pick.

Last edited:

Remove ads