D&D 5E Everyone Should Play Custom Lineage by Default

squibbles

Adventurer
The new Tasha's custom lineage is one of the strongest PC options published--pick a feat, potentially choose an Ability to start at 18, have darkvision.

Why not have it be conventional practice that players always build a custom lineage, regardless of the 'race' they want to play i.e.:
wanna play a dwarf? --> custom lineage: +2 Str, Sentinel​
wanna play an elf? --> custom lineage: +2 Dex, Elven Accuracy​
wanna play a purple eight-eyed anthropomorphic psychic badger? --> custom lineage: +2 Int, Telekinetic​
and so on​

The upside is that DMs wouldn't have to be picky about allowing other options for players who want more thematically unified mechanics. Since custom lineage is almost always gonna be mechanically better, nothing else is likely to unbalance the game.

I think this convention would ultimately allow players to play what they want without feeling like they're straightjacketed by the rules AND--because total freedom undermines creativity more than constraints do--mean that a lot of players will flavor their PC as generically human or demihuman. The freedom to go gonzo is there but most of the players most of the time won't want to.

Finally, it'd be less oppressive to worldbuilding, since there's no default assumption that the PHB races need to exist in the setting. So, say, in my setting I decide everyone is dragonborn. Players can decide to look like dragonborn, and be locals, or look like elves, and be inter-dimensional party crashers--mechanically it doesn't matter, roleplay what you want.

What do you guys think?

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
What about if a character wants to play a Lizardfolk? There's no natural armor feats, or natural weapon feats. Or a Thri-Kreen? There's no feats that give extra arms. Dragonborn have a breath weapon and damage resistance, there's no feats that would emulate that.

Just pointing out while it may appear that this could work on the surface level, this does not work for every race in 5e, not even all of the ones in the PHB.

ccs

41st lv DM
I think custom lineage is another tool for those who need it as a codified rule.
Good for you, here's your official optional rule.

I dont need it though. I've been working with players & altering things as needed for our games for decades.

Balance.... I'm not at all concerned.

Players feeling restricted & straight jacketed.
I haven't noticed this in any of the 5e games I've run or played in.
There IS one guy that I play with (mostly PF1) who loves to fiddle around finding the optimal combo of race/classes/stats/feats etc. But if i just gave him x generic bonuses + dark vision? He wouldn't enjoy that. (And no, he doesn't use the PF rules for customizing races either.)

ME? I'm definitely not constrained. If I have an idea for a character (&it fits the game) ill play it. A + in some not-optimized spot won't stop me. He'll, negatives won't stop me....
Dark vision- i make characters who are "optimized" to be the most accurate to what im envisioning, not the most optimized board game piece.

World building.... I'm a DM. I'm have no restrictions.

Remove ads