D&D 5E Everything wrong with the Wizard Psionics subclass

I liked the curated spell list, but overall yeah, this was pretty half-done. I just don't get it, I guess. Like, if we're going to reduce this much material and history into a sub-class, why not Ranger? Why not Paladin? Monk? Bard? Barbarian?

5E currently has 13 classes. Many of them could work nested inside another as a sub-class. But instead those concepts are given room to breathe. I can accept the idea that Psionics shouldn't have a completely new system, but not even giving us a class is a little lame.

There's still a chance we get one. But that doesn't suddenly make the Psionist a good sub-class. Even the name is confusing. Its like if there was a sub-class (Ranger) and another class called Blood Hunt- oh.

Vael

Legend
Intent is a factor here. If the Psionic Wizard is intended to replace the Psion, then yes, it's a bit of a mess. But that's not the intent that I'm currently getting. I'm getting a Wizard that studies Psionics the same way a Wizard studies the school of Enchantment. Therefore this is a Wizard that uses Psionic spells, but is still primarily a Wizard. More a Cerebremancer than a full Psion.

As for the critique, I don't care to go after every point, but here's a few hyperbolic statements I take issue with:

1. Psionic Focus - Why is this not replacing your spellbook at least? Why the damage focus on a traditionally utility-focused concept?

I'm not sure what you mean by replacing. Does it function as a spellbook, requiring the usual expenditures of gold to scribe spells into it?

2. Psionic Devotion - Why pick one? This stuff is core to the idea of being Psionic, so why are you Psionic some of the time but not most of the time? We will see this theme recur, sadly.

Again, my reading is that this is a Wizard that studies Psionics, not a Psion. Different beast. Also, for balance reasons.

3. Thought Form - What the heck? That isn't a thing. That's never been a thing. They shove the ability to cast without components, a key Psionic concept, into a sub-ability of a high powered, flashy and totally unnecessary defensive ability. Terrible.

This is most definitely a thing. Seriously? Shedding one's body and becoming a creature of pure energy is what Psionic users do. Dozens of examples in fiction: becoming one with the Force like Yoda, all those energy beings in Star Trek and Babylon 5, Protoss from StarCraft. Mind over matter is such a core Psionic concept, I don't understand the hatred. This, to me, is pretty darn cool.

Also ... unnecessary? This replaces the battery of defensive spells I see wizards run and it doesn't require Concentration.

Sadras

Legend
That's assuming there won't eventually be an entire class as well, which I think is pretty likely if/when 5E Dark Sun happens.

I also think it is very likely that they will create an entire class - I was merely commenting that this UA once again shed light on their IMO weak/lacking archetype subclasses for the wizard.

This is most definitely a thing. Seriously? Shedding one's body and becoming a creature of pure energy is what Psionic users do. Dozens of examples in fiction: becoming one with the Force like Yoda, all those energy beings in Star Trek and Babylon 5, Protoss from StarCraft. Mind over matter is such a core Psionic concept, I don't understand the hatred. This, to me, is pretty darn cool.

Also ... unnecessary? This replaces the battery of defensive spells I see wizards run and it doesn't require Concentration.

In all those examples, it's an insanely huge deal, which is either only possible after death, or by some significant and shocking process. If this was a permanent change at level 18+ that comparison would definitely work.

This guy does it INT mod times/day and does it just so he can cast spells without components... If Luke kept becoming a Force Ghost any time a door was giving them trouble or something the movies would have a very different tone.

So no, it is not "a thing". The thing you are describing is momentous and very different.

Also, as accidentally admit, it's rather overpowered and replaces tons of other spells entirely, so is total nerf-bait.

Vael

Legend
In all those examples, it's an insanely huge deal, which is either only possible after death, or by some significant and shocking process. If this was a permanent change at level 18+ that comparison would definitely work.

This guy does it INT mod times/day and does it just so he can cast spells without components... If Luke kept becoming a Force Ghost any time a door was giving them trouble or something the movies would have a very different tone.

So no, it is not "a thing". The thing you are describing is momentous and very different.

Also, as accidentally admit, it's rather overpowered and replaces tons of other spells entirely, so is total nerf-bait.

Yeah, because those are fictional examples, and games are different from fiction. The point was that this was definitely in flavour of a Psionic user, ie, it's a thing. If you want game examples, the Uncarnate Paragon Path from 4e could turn insubstantial every time you spend an action point, at 11th level.

As for balance, I'm not convinced this is overpowered or not. It's not a major concern, this is UA, I'm not expecting perfect balance, it's test material. It's certainly not unnecessary.

It's ridiculously flashy and ludicrous, and doesn't match with 5E's tone. Even in 4E, Uncarnate seemed a bit silly but it was it's whole deal and was level 11. Not level, what, 6?

Vael

Legend
4e characters went to level 30. A level 11 4e PC is roughly equivalent to a level 7 5e PC, so giving it at 6th isn't a big shift. Spellcasters are throwing around fireballs, animating dead and conjuring houses out of thin air at this level, and this is too flashy and ludicrous? :rolleyes:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases