• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Everything You Need to Know about Bigby Presents Glory of the Giants

Not sure where to put this, but a new video is out! They've got some new details about the giants! I'm very excited to learn more about the Unfallen Fomorians, among many others!

By the looks of it, the Unfallen Formorians are basically Eldritch Giants with hair.

This gives them a kind of beautiful magical feywild giants with prebuilt plothooks.

Tying Death Giants to the Ravenqueen is weird, do with do they ally with Shadar Kai? Death Giants traditionally have been the evillest, most predatory of giants.

The Scions are cool, basically quasi giants, but kind of steps on the toes of Empyreans, in fact Mad Mage had an Empyrean daughter of Thyrm and Auril, who oddly has better stats then her mom, whose an actual God, not just a quasi God.

Makes me wonder how they are going to update Empyreans in the 2024 MM, hopefully give them shapeshifting like Astral Devas and Couatls.

Mindflayer Ettin mixes too creepy things together.

Monsters throwing body parts seems to be a theme of the book.

I'm hoping not all of the Outer Planes themed Giants are fiends, a couple of Celestials would be cool too. Maybe the child of a Storm Giant or Cloud and an Empyrean?

The hulks don't really interest me, but the spellcasters with their targetable runes are innovative.

Should have had some templates, templates are under used.

Its weird how self impressed they are at the 70 stats.

I think the difference between giant scions and empyreans is a matter of planar alignment.

They're both essentially demigods, the children of the divine, but empyreans are classified as celestials (titans), implying a stronger connection to the Outer Planes.

Giant scions, by contrast, seem to be framed as more elemental in nature, implying a connection to the Inner Planes, similar to the 4e's take on titans as primordial elemental giant precursors. Alternatively, if they're trying to parallel them with Fizban-style dragon greatwyrms, possibly linked strictly to the Material Plane itself.

So similar concept, but different cosmological "teams".

I think the difference between giant scions and empyreans is a matter of planar alignment.

They're both essentially demigods, the children of the divine, but empyreans are classified as celestials (titans), implying a stronger connection to the Outer Planes.

Giant scions, by contrast, seem to be framed as more elemental in nature, implying a connection to the Inner Planes, similar to the 4e's take on titans as primordial elemental giant precursors. Alternatively, if they're trying to parallel them with Fizban-style dragon greatwyrms, possibly linked strictly to the Material Plane itself.

So similar concept, but different cosmological "teams".

They are both descended from Gods, which implies a link to the Outer planes inheriantly.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
They are both descended from Gods, which implies a link to the Outer planes inheriantly.
Well, let's wait to see the new Giantish take on the First World mythos here. The Giant gods appear to be tirs to Dinosaurs and Loat World stuff, too, and the Elemental aspect brings to.mind the Primordials of the Dawn War...

RoughCoronet0

Dragon Lover
Well, let's wait to see the new Giantish take on the First World mythos here. The Giant gods appear to be tirs to Dinosaurs and Loat World stuff, too, and the Elemental aspect brings to.mind the Primordials of the Dawn War...
Yeah, remember also that with Fizban’s, Tiamat and Bahamut were not even considered gods in the tradiational sense according to the First World Mythos, and acted more like the primordials in that they created the actual material plane. They became tied to Avernus and Celestia after the fact.

It’s possible that the Giant’s First World Mythos might be similar in that regard.

Remove ads