• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Everything You Need to Know about Bigby Presents Glory of the Giants

Parmandur

Book-Friend
This feels a bit... too late? for me? I played SKT's over a year ago, the book feels less "needed" now.
I mean, that did come out 7 years ago? Even Yawning Portal is over 6 years old, now. In the grand scheme of release cycles, I would say it's moved past too late into "retro revisit" territory...especially since SKT is still on sale.

This feels a bit... too late? for me? I played SKT's over a year ago, the book feels less "needed" now.
I mean, only if you've 1) already played Storm King's Thunder, and 2) see no reason beyond a playthrough of SKT to expand on giants and giant lore. One could just as easily ask why Fizban's so long after Hoard of the Dragon Queen/Rise of Tiamat?

They're building stuff for the future. From what we've heard thus far, they're seemingly giving giants a link to the concept of the First World that they've been developing, making them a thematic counterpoint to dragons, and possibly holding differing, even conflicting, views on what exactly the First World was and what happened to it.

There also seems to be a serious effort to "re-mystify" giants - to help give them back the kind of mythical wow-factor that they tend to be given in real world mythology and folklore, where they are frequently put on par with legendary heroes, dragons, and at times even gods, and make them more than just the next step up from ogres on the CR tier chart for generally humanoid bad guys.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I would like to hear from the people who skipped Witchlight because they had just wrapped up their big campaign that started with a carnival and then ended up traveling through multiple different fairylands.
I mean...thst doesn't sound all thwt implausible? Though that was treading much fresher ground than most campaign books.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
There also seems to be a serious effort to "re-mystify" giants - to help give them back the kind of mythical wow-factor that they tend to be given in real world mythology and folklore, where they are frequently put on par with legendary heroes, dragons, and at times even gods, and make them more than just the next step up from ogres on the CR tier chart for generally humanoid bad guys.

I've heard that SKT is a campaign that is very very "DM dependent", so I don't now if this was the adventure or the DM, but when I played it, the campaign seemed to be attempting to be doing that - setting the giants as the "counterweight" to the Dragons, among other things.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I've heard that SKT is a campaign that is very very "DM dependent", so I don't now if this was the adventure or the DM, but when I played it, the campaign seemed to be attempting to be doing that - setting the giants as the "counterweight" to the Dragons, among other things.
That's in the text, but yeah there is a lot of DIY energy needed for SKT...

Remove ads