Evil Cult Prophet Encounters

osarusan

Explorer
My players are investigating an evil cult in a heavily modified RttToEE game.

When they reach the next village on their journey, they're going to find that there is a decent amount of evil cult influence, and eventually encounter one of the out-of-their-minds, drugged-up, creepily-harmless cultist dreamer prophets.

If you've played Morrowind, I'm thinking something along the lines of the dreamers towards the end of the game, but a little less violent while in town. I don't care if the PC's end up killing this guy, but I'm hoping they'll be able to talk to him for a bit first, and I want them to be thoroughly disturbed by the encounter.

What kind of things can make this creepier to the PCs... there's the obvious "prophetic vision" and the bad-guy-who-says-too-much routine, but that's not hard to come up with on my own. I'd like to throw in something else much more subtle and surprising, that the PC's wont expect. Any ideas?

Last edited:

Turanil

First Post
The cultist behaves like a victim; whines about being a victim of wrong done by the "others"; and fail to realize that as a cultist he is a victim of an evil deception.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
the cult has been using a farming village to grow its plants and make drugs. The farmers have been making a good living at this, better than they were and are happy with the results, the thing is they do not know that the plants are the dreaming drug.

Psychotic Jim

First Post
Hand of Evil said:
the cult has been using a farming village to grow its plants and make drugs. The farmers have been making a good living at this, better than they were and are happy with the results, the thing is they do not know that the plants are the dreaming drug.
This is a good idea. Perhaps the cultist inspires visions through hallucinogenic drugs or fungus, perhaps some sort of twisted medieval equivalent of Timothy Leary. Perhaps it is some druid of an elder evil plant god. The prophet could secretly be infecting the peasants' grain supply with ergot fungus (hallucinogenic, the basis for LSD). You could recreate the Salem Witch Trials all over again.

Remove ads