Evil Genius Games and Netflix Settle 'Rebel Moon' TTRPG Lawsuit

No game forthcoming; retailer pre-orders to be refunded.

Evil Genius Games has just sent out a 'joint statement' regarding their lawsuit against Netflix regarding the canceled Rebel Moon roleplaying game. No details about this 'amicable resolution' are divulged, other than that the game is still not going to be released.

Screenshot 2023-09-28 at 3.52.48 PM.png

Evil Genius sued Netflix for breach of contract after the streaming company cancelled their license to product an official Rebel Moon TTRPG citing alleged confidentiality breaches. The contract was cancelled in May 2023 after Evil Genius had completed the game design; Netflix asserted ownership of Evil Genius' work, and indicated that it would be incorporated into future cinematic and video game properties.
The following is a joint statement prepared by us and Netflix relating to the recently resolved litigation between us.

“The parties are pleased that they were able to amicably resolve this dispute. Netflix thanks Evil Genius for their hard work and professionalism.”

We will not be releasing a Rebel Moon game, but stay tuned for more amazing Cinematic Adventures and an upcoming sci-fi project. And thank you again for your amazing support!

If you are a retailer who preordered the Rebel Moon game in advance, be on the lookout for a follow-up email within the next 7-10 days on how to process your refund.

D. Todd Scott
Evil Genius Games. Inc.

Vincent55

Adventurer
Well, they could always rebrand the work and call it something else, changing all the fluff, easy enough to do. As they more than not just gave them the fluffy parts and kept the game mechanics parts, if they are smart.

Jer

Legend
Supporter
Having watched Rebel Moon, I have my doubts that the game would have been very popular. Kind of a weird situation all around.
I would not be surprised to find out that both Netflix and Evil Genius came to the same conclusion and that the "amicable resolution" was basically the recognition that the profits from the property were never going to pay for a lawsuit for either of them no matter who ended up owning the setting work that Evil Genius folks had created for the game.

It likely would have been a lot different if Rebel Moon had turned out to be a huge hit. But even the Snyder fans I know are saying that it's kinda boring. Which is not a good sign.

Reading between the lines a bit, sounds like Evil Genius has maybe cannibalized the design work they did for that "new sci-fi project" and just stripped off the IP.
Yeah. That's what I'd do in their position. Keep the rules, strip out the IP.

Maybe it'll be used for an updated version of d20 Future the way Everyday Heroes was an updated version of d20 Modern?

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
No more lawsuit for one. And it’s settled so both sides got at least some satisfaction.

Eh, one might say that a true compromise means that both sides are equally unhappy.

That said, IME and IMO, it can be difficult to draw a lot of opinions from a settlement, without truly knowing all the underlying dynamics.

Imagine two different cases-

Case One- Abe sues Bob, alleging terrible things. There is a settlement.

Case Two- Cade sues Dave, alleging terrible things. There is a settlement.

Now, in AvB, there is no underlying merit to the lawsuit. A pretty much made it up out of whole cloth.
In CvD, on the other hand, there is a LOT of merit.

But in AvB, B realizes that the cost of litigation to get to summary judgment (because it's a factual issue, even though there are no facts) is much more than the cost of a nuisance settlement. So B settles.

In CvD, D realizes that they don't want this to continue, and offers a large amount of money (but less than the value of the suit) to quickly settle the claim.

In both cases, all the outside observers will know for certain is that there is a settlement. But all the parties will likely feel very differently!

A gets a (small) windfall.
B feels like they were extorted.
C ... well, C might feel good (lot of money) or bad (didn't get to have their day in court, probably has confidentiality clause).
D also has mixed emotions, in that they gave up a lot of money, but (if they can afford it) avoided a lengthy judicial process.

Settlements are what make litigation work; without them, everything grinds to a halt. But it's very hard to know how to feel about a settlement as an outside observer, other than the lawsuit is over.

ETA- that said, disclosure of the terms and especially the dollar amount of a settlement can often given you insight!

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
Having watched Rebel Moon, I have my doubts that the game would have been very popular. Kind of a weird situation all around. Reading between the lines a bit, sounds like Evil Genius has maybe cannibalized the design work they did for that "new sci-fi project" and just stripped off the IP.
XP for truth, but I watched Rebel Moon too. I wouldn't buy the game, the breakfast cereal, or the Rebel Moon flamethrower because it was so bad.

Sir Brennen

Legend
Having watched Rebel Moon, I have my doubts that the game would have been very popular. Kind of a weird situation all around. Reading between the lines a bit, sounds like Evil Genius has maybe cannibalized the design work they did for that "new sci-fi project" and just stripped off the IP.
Which is kinda funny, since Rebel Moon the movie is already pretty much Star Wars with the IP stripped off.

So a new game would be a knock off of a knock off.

Timespike

A5E Designer and third-party publisher
XP for truth, but I watched Rebel Moon too. I wouldn't buy the game, the breakfast cereal, or the Rebel Moon flamethrower because it was so bad.
One of the fundamental problems with Snyder is that his personal worldview is so bleak and cynical that he finds paragons and other straightforwardly heroic and likeable people to be cartoonishly unrealistic. That makes a story with a hero a lot of people really like and want to cheer for hard to execute on.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads