Evil Genius Games bleeding personnel?

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
What in the Sam Hill is going on at Evil Genius Games? I've seen three people posting on Facebook about possible ethical issues at EGG in the last couple of days.
Yesterday, BJ Hensley shared a Facebook post from Mike Bramnik that read:

Mike Bramnik.png

She added this comment about her own experience there in 2023 (working less than half a year for EGG):
BJ Hensley.png

And today, Faith Elisabeth Lilley posted:
Faith Lilley.png

All of these are public posts on Facebook.
I don't know what's going on but the idea that a game company may be losing people because of ethical considerations is troubling. Are we finding more broken steps (in some way or other) in the community?

Sacrosanct

Legend
When people say the company doesn't fit with their personal morals or isn't as safe place while also calling out how great their coworkers are, that's a pretty obvious implication on leadership. I think the people involved are being vague intentionally, as any specific accusations of misconduct are serious and would need to be proven. Not sure these people want to open that can of worms, and I don't really blame them. The best thing at this point is for D Todd Scott to take a serious look at his company. EGG is a new company, only a couple years old, so this is fairly alarming.

Nylanfs

Adventurer
It could also be repercussions from the lawsuit settlement, perhaps they didn't agree with how it was handled, pay distribution, residual distribution from sales of the books that can't be produced now?

Juxtapozbliss

Explorer
My curiosity is certainly piqued. I supported their Kickstarter at the highest level and have all the books. It sours the desire to run a company’s games when they have poor ethics. Unfortunately, these posts lack specifics to know what to think.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
It could also be repercussions from the lawsuit settlement, perhaps they didn't agree with how it was handled, pay distribution, residual distribution from sales of the books that can't be produced now?

Well, I doubt that it is that specifically. After all, employees don't have much of a say in how the lawsuit is settled, and it goes without saying that in the industry, they aren't going to be looking for residuals (let alone residuals for a product that can't be sold).

On the other hand, given that the gravamen of the dispute in the litigation appeared to be (from Netflix's perspective) certain issues surrounding the behavior of EG's CEO. And these posts also seem to indicate issues with top-level leadership.

Of course, allegations in litigation are just that- allegations, not facts. And vagueposts on social media are not evidence of anything either. Still, to the extent that there is a common denominator of these smoke signals, it would appear that it resides at the top.

Remove ads