Evil Genius Games bleeding personnel?

Sacrosanct

Legend
I didn't really pay that much attention to EGG, but a few things always stood out. They are a brand new company, and immediately got all this IP (pretty much every 80s action movie you can think of) and a gencon presence, and quickly got partnered with Netflix to do the RPG for the movie. That seemed strange because most new RPG companies don't come out of the gate like that.

Now I'm seeing how several folks have said D Todd Scott is an ex-Amazon exec who used venture capitalism to start the company. I guess that makes sense how they were able to fund all of this, but can anyone confirm that? Note: I'm not saying Mr. Scott can't also be a huge rpg fan or is a bad boss just because he was an Amazon exec, but it seems in my experience that companies backed by corporate money or venture capitalists care more about making profit than the rank and file employees or work environment.

Hey folks, this is Dave Scott, the CEO of Evil Genius Games. First of all, I wish Michael, Faith, BJ, and Matt the best of luck. Each of them helped us forward the agenda for the company and they have my gratitude. I don't have to tell any of you how hard it is to run a small publishing company in this industry. Truth be told, it's much tougher than I thought it would be. There were times last year when we almost didn't make it. We've gone through several unfortunate situations - we were forced to sue a corporate giant and we had to go through some difficult layoffs. But we're still here. Luckily, we settled the case and have been given a fresh chance to do what we love. Most of our staff, including our earliest team members, are still here toiling away to create new products that I am sure you will come to love. Our business is back on track. I plan to submit a blog post discussing our road ahead. I'll see if Morrus will allow me to post it here in EN World.

In regards to the accusations of ethics. We've had some open and transparent conversations about the use of a few controversial technologies such as Artificial Intelligence and Blockchain. At the end of the day, we decided to create a Technical Code of Conduct where we condemn both technologies and commit not to use them. This was a group decision with all of the team involved. You can read more about Code of Ethics here. https://evilgeniusgames.com/blog/our-technology-code-of-ethics/

I'm grateful for all of the amazing people that have worked with us over the past two years. Everyone has added a little of themselves to make the most of our products. I can't wait to see what amazing things these people create in the future.

Cheers,

Dave

I didn't really pay that much attention to EGG, but a few things always stood out. They are a brand new company, and immediately got all this IP (pretty much every 80s action movie you can think of) and a gencon presence, and quickly got partnered with Netflix to do the RPG for the movie. That seemed strange because most new RPG companies don't come out of the gate like that.

Now I'm seeing how several folks have said D Todd Scott is an ex-Amazon exec who used venture capitalism to start the company. I guess that makes sense how they were able to fund all of this, but can anyone confirm that? Note: I'm not saying Mr. Scott can't also be a huge rpg fan or is a bad boss just because he was an Amazon exec, but it seems in my experience that companies backed by corporate money or venture capitalists care more about making profit than the rank and file employees or work environment.
Hey Sacrosanct. yeah, we're venture-backed. But I also have my entire life savings into the business.

I've been playing Dungeons & Dragons since I was 11 years old. I went away to sleep away camp and they were playing Return to White Plumed Mountain. Oh man, that is where I fell in love. Still play D&D with the people I played D&D with in high school and in college. Just finished Odyssey of the Dragonlords which was a great adventure with a mediocre ending. I'm also a long-time Pathfinder player. Sadly Eladriel, my 11th level character died at Gencon 2022 (been going since Milwaukee) by an Enervate spell.

So yeah, I'm pretty passionate about this industry.

My curiosity is certainly piqued. I supported their Kickstarter at the highest level and have all the books. It sours the desire to run a company’s games when they have poor ethics. Unfortunately, these posts lack specifics to know what to think.
Hi Juxta, do give the product a try. it's still fun to play. Dd you get the Vault yet? What are your thoughts?

Sacrosanct

Legend
Hey Sacrosanct. yeah, we're venture-backed. But I also have my entire life savings into the business.

I've been playing Dungeons & Dragons since I was 11 years old. I went away to sleep away camp and they were playing Return to White Plumed Mountain. Oh man, that is where I fell in love. Still play D&D with the people I played D&D with in high school and in college. Just finished Odyssey of the Dragonlords which was a great adventure with a mediocre ending. I'm also a long-time Pathfinder player. Sadly Eladriel, my 11th level character died at Gencon 2022 (been going since Milwaukee) by an Enervate spell.

So yeah, I'm pretty passionate about this industry.
Thanks for response. I do have a question, and I don't mean this as some sort of gotcha question or anything like that. Just a legit question. I've read your company policy on AI and blockchain (yesterday as a matter of fact). One of your top investors is Blockchain Founders Fund. Admittedly this might be because I just don't understand, but how do you reconcile not using AI or blockchain while at the same time having a Blockchain fun invest in you? On the surface that seems a conflict where both can't be true. It would seem to me that your investors would like to influence how you're doing your work (like all investors), and to use an analogy, it seems the Strawberry Farmers Fund invests in a company that refuses to use strawberries. Again, maybe my ignorance is missing something glaring. I guess it's this part from your site:

"...as of now." It seems to me that they would pressure you to change your stance, is what I'm trying to get at, albeit poorly.

1707261771086.png

Thanks for response. I do have a question, and I don't mean this as some sort of gotcha question or anything like that. Just a legit question. I've read your company policy on AI and blockchain (yesterday as a matter of fact). One of your top investors is Blockchain Founders Fund. Admittedly this might be because I just don't understand, but how do you reconcile not using AI or blockchain while at the same time having a Blockchain fun invest in you? On the surface that seems a conflict where both can't be true. It would seem to me that your investors would like to influence how you're doing your work (like all investors), and to use an analogy, it seems the Strawberry Farmers Fund invests in a company that refuses to use strawberries. Again, maybe my ignorance is missing something glaring.

View attachment 345437
No it's a great question. Blockchain Founders Fund did invest in us but have never demanded that we use Web3 technologies. First, they are a bunch of nerds like me who like what we're doing, and, second, funds sometimes like to diversify their portfolios - particularly when their mandate is to invest in a single kind of technology. Also note that we discuss their investment in our company in the Technology Code of Conduct. Thanks for asking.

Remove ads