• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Evil Genius Games bleeding personnel?

sigfried

Adventurer
That's not terribly comforting, because either that investor is making public statements with (alleged) material misrepresentations designed to induce investment or EGG isn't doing so now but the investors have plans to do so in the future as part of an existing business strategy so that EGG can generate the exceptional rate of return demanded by venture capital investors.
I can't speak to that as I'm just not involved in it personally. (I just know, from helping with tech occasionally, that we don't actually analyze or sell the data beyond seeing what's selling best and sending out our own marketing emails.)

Update: Dave is going to reach out to that investor and ask them to remove that part of the post.

Last edited:

ttrpg insider

Villager
It's massively unusual for multiple staff to resign from a company and feel so motivated to speak up about the ethics of the situation that they put their careers at risk by doing so. Whatever the issues are, there's four or five now people who feel that strongly that they must say something to warn the community. They are likely worried about what else they can say, and how they can say it, without winding up in legal trouble.

Meanwhile the owner of the company is here posting multiple times to put his spin on things, then tagging in his friend and a trusted employee as character witnesses. This is, as someone else said, an abuse of power by the owner.

It's also a classic damage control tactic. When you have done something bad, immediately put out a press release or statement claiming that you would never do that bad thing. Then spend time on socials/forums engaging people with concerns and either deflecting or pushing an emotional narrative. Corporate naughty word 101.

We won't know for sure though unless we hear more from those employees. Morrus said he was reaching out, and I have seen a bunch of chatter on Facebook, so let's see what comes of that.

Last edited:

sigfried

Adventurer
Meanwhile the owner of the company is here posting multiple times to put his spin on things, then tagging in his friend and a trusted employee as character witnesses. This is, as someone else said, an abuse of power by the owner.
I'll say for my part, I speak under my own initiative and not on Dave's request or behalf. I didn't clear what I posted with him. It's just what I see from my perspective. And I hope I didn't come across like I was disputing my colleagues. I'm not. I said and meant that I have 100% respect for them and their decisions even if I don't feel exactly as they do.

I agree there is a power disparity. That's always true in an employee, employer situation. I took a risk as I signed an NDA at some point, so what I said could be considered confidential, and I didn't clear it with anyone. (I'm not a big fan of NDAs but they are very common and I believe in speaking the truth I know regardless of such things.) What discretion I use is out of a personal sense of ethics for others privacy and feelings rather than a fear of reprisal. (I'm not saying that others are the same as me, they have their own reasons.)

I want to emphasize, I'm not here to persuade anyone of anything. Only to add my perspective to the discussion in so much as I feel is appropriate in a public forum. I do think fans of our work deserve to have some understanding. I can only add my voice from my personal point of view. I don't expect anyone to just accept my view, but it's here for consideration. I can say that it is 100% based on my own true feelings, thoughts, and perspectives.

awen

Villager
Hello - My name is Awen, and I am the Lead Editor and a World Builder at Evil Genius Games. I have been watching the posts here, and the arguments that have been developed from them and, as a moral philosopher and ethicist by profession—with a PhD in Philosophy and specializations in Ethics, Aristotelian Ethics, Ancient Philosophy, and Formal Symbolic Logic—it saddens me to see that a few of the commentators seem more interested in promoting their own conclusions than they do in learning about our company and its policies, preferably before condemning either one. But I am not here to argue any of the conclusions reached in this thread nor to disparage any of the commentators. Instead, I am here because I care a great deal about Evil Genius Games and its CEO, Dave Scott, and about my colleagues at EGG (both past and present). In addition, as an ethicist, I am hoping that my perspectives will help some readers to reach more informed conclusions about Evil Genius Games.

Before I begin, however, I would like to state up front that I am posting here entirely on my own initiative, and not because I have been asked to do so by anyone. Moreover, I have not shared this post with anyone at EGG, other than my husband, prior to posting it.

First and foremost, like Sig and Dave, I want to wish my former colleagues—Michael, Faith, Ivis, and Matt—all the best. I truly hope that the future will be kind to each one of them, and I also hope that they know just how much they will be missed. I certainly agree with them that the team at Evil Genius comprises talented and dedicated people with whom it is a true pleasure to work, and I have no doubt whatsoever that leaving this team for any reason would be more than a little heart-wrenching.

When I first read their posts, however, I admit to confusion on my part. After all, as an ethicist, if there had been any serious ethical issues that affected either the company at large or its employees as a whole, I was fairly certain that I would have been aware of them. However, after thinking long and hard, I was personally and professionally satisfied that neither the company nor Dave Scott had committed any ethical violations of which I was aware. Of course, I cannot comment knowledgeably on any ethical violations or matters of trust about which I am not aware, and I can neither confirm nor deny the existence of any issues to which I am not privy. So, it is important to me that nothing that I say here is mistakenly understood as calling into question the sincerity of my former colleagues’ stated reasons for leaving the company.

From the information at hand, then—and whether correctly or incorrectly—I can infer only that my former colleagues held personal principles that they believed the company had violated. Three of them worked closely together, and were friends as well as colleagues, and so it would not surprise me if they shared certain common principles. And, if there were issues at EGG that violated their personal principles, then I fully support their decisions to leave the company. In fact, I have left jobs because of conduct that I could not ethically condone.

In the end, then, I am posting for two reasons: to wish my colleagues well and to assure the gaming community that, as a professional ethicist, I can recommend both our company and our products without reservation.

You do not know me, however, and so have no reason to believe that I can be trusted (even though I was playing D&D before most of my colleagues were born—back in the early days, when the game was condemned as part of the great “Satanic Panic”—and despite the fact that my original ethical theories have been integrated into parts of game development theory for some time now). Yet, when I assure you that 1) the investor discussed in this thread chose our company simply to diversify its portfolio, and not to influence our choice of technology, and 2) EGG neither sells any private information whatsoever nor provides the movie studios with any information other than what is on their royalty statements, I am telling you the truth exactly as I know and understand it.

I realize that some people may sincerely disagree with me, which is perfectly fine, and that others may intentionally misrepresent my perspectives for their own purposes. Either way, I am not speaking on behalf of EGG, or Dave Scott, or our investors, or either my current or former colleagues at EGG. I am merely offering my personal understanding of the situation here, and so I will not contribute to any debate or argumentation on the topic at hand.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I was asking for a clarification for what was already stated, which, in itself, implied confidential information. (This was also the company owner making the post implying information about ex-staff, not an employee who can be fired.) I asked for clarification of meaning, not supporting confidential information.

Mod Note:
Please review the rules of the site - arguing with or responding to a moderator in-thread to justify your actions will generally just get you a note that we will not discuss moderation in-thread, or a threadban.

El_Spiko

Explorer
I can't speak to that as I'm just not involved in it personally. (I just know, from helping with tech occasionally, that we don't actually analyze or sell the data beyond seeing what's selling best and sending out our own marketing emails.)

Update: Dave is going to reach out to that investor and ask them to remove that part of the post.
Thank you for speaking to Dave about that investor statement, as obviously it is at odds with the policies on your site. Having dealt with my fair share of blockchain and VC guys myself it seems most likely that this gentleman was speaking beyond the limits of their knowledge. And to be clear I don't think using RPGs as a market research tool is a bad idea, it just needs to be transparent. I think it would be awesome to know that playing in a game session could influence the next Pacific Rim movie for instance.

Yes. Michael Bramnik did a hell of a job setting it up. He started in March.
Yeah but a bigger question is why were you having someone doing something that in theory could encompass multiple full time jobs do other things? Even if this wasn't what caused all of them to leave that's not a good situation to have your employees be in.

Juxtapozbliss

Explorer
Hi Juxta, do give the product a try. it's still fun to play. Dd you get the Vault yet? What are your thoughts?
I did pick up The Vault but haven’t had a chance to read it yet. I’m a bit buried right now running my homebrew 5e D&D game for my friends and a second campaign of it on StartPlaying.games plus I'm running the Blade Runner starter set and trying to get a Champions campaign started too! My feelings about the rules are mostly positive, although I got lost trying to follow the chase mechanics and not sure how I will handle the long distance sniper rifle shooting situations because my team doesn't love theater of the mind combat and those distances are tricky to handle. When it comes to the cinematic adventures, I liked some better than others. A few had rules added in that I didn't like. I want to make time to listen to some live plays to get a better handle on it.

Remove ads