[Exalted 2e] Chosen of the Second Age

Delemental

First Post
In the Mind of the Northern Flower

The fourth and final of the Chrysanthemum stories.

------------------------------------

Zanka hung onto her mount for dearest life, nauseous with the stench of rotting flesh, the sight of mangled and yet moving corpses and terrified by the overwhelming presence of the undead. It mattered little that Kaliel - strong, brave, valiant Kaliel - and the Knights were making short shrift of the zombie horde. They still surrounded the warriors who surrounded her and that was far to near for her comfort. She felt a scream rise in her throat...and she awoke, clutching her covers to her mouth as if to stifle the scream.

Sitting up she thought that even if she were back in Crystal, the zombie horde outside the gates of Chrysanthemum would still be far too close for comfort. Zanka made no claims to being a brave woman. She regretted the ghost stories she had told the older children in her care back then - was it really that long ago? It seemed forever - when she was tired of dealing with pranks and teasing or when she was simply in a bad mood. She vowed at that moment to never tell an unasked-for ghost story ever again. Unless the story was about Ghost, of course.

Her mind turned to her companions. Kaliel she was comfortable with. He was big, he was strong, he embodied everything the Dragon-blooded wished they were. And, Zanka admitted, she had a bit of a crush on him. Any young woman would, wouldn't they? How many times in one's life were they rescued from a horrible fate by a real knight in shiny arnor? Well, all of the time in her stories to starry-eyed little - and not-so-little girls - but for real? In Zanka's stories, the knight and the damsel always ended up living happily ever after. It was classic. But somehow, Kaliel didn't seem to feel that way towards her, and Zanka wasn't sure she wanted him to. It was much easier traveling with someone you weren't, well, tangled up with emotionally. Or at least that's how it went in other of Zanka's bedtime stories back home.

Ayama was also very comfortable to be with. Zanka felt safe with Ayama, but in a different way than Kaliel. The older woman exuded comfort in the same way Matre, Tante, and Oomatre had. Like warm furs on a colder than usual night, like tea around the homefire, like Vadre's predictably bad jokes and Patre's bearhugs.. Zanka knew that Ayama had been a mother and wife at some point, and would bet that she'd been a very good one. Zanka could tell. Even as a little girl, she had been an excellent judge of character. It was part of what made her such a wonderful companion for old and young alike. She knew temperaments like she knew her own mind and could infallibly soothe, entertain or scold just enough to be effective at whatever verbalization was needed at a given time. Except maybe with those ghost stories...

Which brought her to her third companion. Resplendent Ghost of Midnight. A pretentious name, to be sure, but wasn't her own when it was translated? She reflected for a moment...Beguiling Flower of Dancing Lights...no. Her own name was simply descriptive. It was what she was. Ghost, on the other hand, wasn't resplendent at all as far as she could tell. But he was definitely good looking. Very easy on the eyes. But she wasn't sure how to take his teasing. Even if she was of an age to have been married already, Zanka had very little experience with boys. A kiss here and there, but while she was the prettiest girl in Crystal - everyone said so - she was too delicate to be considered as a good mate. So she'd kept to what she knew best - sitting with the old and young who wanted her for her talents at conversing and storytelling. And most of the boys back in Crystal were usually covered in furs and heavy clothing, even in their homes. Climate demanded it. You couldn't live on the doorstep of the Icewalkers and not be covered up, even when sleeping.

Ghost, though... Zanka could tell that he had a lithe and athletic figure - very different from Kaliel's and powerful in a very different way. His wit was sharp as well, but Zanka could hold her own with that any day. No, it was the way that her heart skipped once in a while when Ghost teased her sometimes, or when she caught him looking at her in a certain manner, as if he was appraising a fine piece of jewelry or a beautiful work of art. Both of which Zanka identified with, of course. She was a rare sight for most folks.

She sighed and rolled over, wondering how many nights her zombie nightmares were going to torment her. It had been a good while since the attack and Zanka didn't generally suffer from repeat nightmares of any sort. Except a few now and then about the cursed Dragon-blooded scum who had stolen her from her beloved home. Of course Kaliel had made very short work of them...

She was guilty of harboring uncharitable, even violent fantasies regarding those Immaculates who had invaded her home in order to pave the way for more Immaculates and Dragon-bloods who were working to get the whatever-it-was under the icemantle near Crystal unburied as quickly as possible. They had no business being there, turning her people's easygoing faith into something so rigid and oppressive. Something that glorified people and ideas that Zanka was sure weren't at all they were made out to be. A religion that scheduled worship? Like the gods cared what time you chose to honor then, as long as you didn't forget to honor them. Those Immaculates even usurped on her time with the little ones, whisking them off to indoctrinate them before they were even old enough to think for themselves! And scaring those who were old enough into the new religion with veiled threats and not-so-veiled punishments. Never mind the harsh round-the-clock schedules for those who were unfortunate enough to have to help free the "factory-cathedral" from its icy tomb. Crystal had a finely tuned sense of seasons, and the new order enforced by the intruders would throw that off and her people would go hungry if the local gods weren't properly honored, if the local tribes weren't properly paid, if the herds weren't properly tended and culled.

Zanka sat up and wondered if her hosts would mind much if she made herself some tea, but then she realized that she didn't know where most of the cookstuff was kept. Her hosts assumed, like most people did, that she was simply too fragile to be of use in the kitchen. Or anywhere else for that matter. Unless there were people to keep entertained. Or pep talks to be given. Or encouragement to be supplied. She had to admit that hers was a very useful talent. She also had to admit too enjoying what pampering could be had in this fortified and bleak-looking town.

That was something the rest of Creation was never going to see beyond, Chrysanthemum's bleak facade. But once you were inside some of these homes, the colors and textures were as rich and varied as the local artisan's could make them. They were as fine as anything back home in Crystal. And some of the libraries were incredible. Zanka spent most of her free time here indulging in books she'd never heard at home, digesting new lore and plays when she could get her hands on it. Of course the really interesting magical stuff was only hearsay and usually mentioned in tales of sorcery, so there weren't many details. But it was a blessed break from cheering the wounded and reassuring the battle-weary.

Another pastime she found fascinating and oddly enjoyable was her martial arts training with Ayama. Now, granted, Zanka had no plans to become the next master of any fighting art, be it brawling, martial arts or group warfare. No thanks, all she needed to know was how to protect herself if she accidentally found herself in the middle of an unavoidable brouhaha. Which she had no plans of doing. Especially if she were to continue traveling with three such strong companions. They could easily protect her from violence and she, in return, would ease their passage through any bureaucratic tangles and talk them out of large-scale fights in the first place. She also would keep them from paying too much to disreputable traders, which most traders were. Especially if they were connected to the Immaculates. Or the Guild. Or were Dragon-blooded. Or Realm controlled.

Suddenly, Zanka caught herself yawning hugely. She ran her tiny hands through her long silver-blonde hair to dislodge any snarls, tucked her hair behind her head and thought that maybe Ayama's training could be useful as an attack. Zanka pledged to work that into her training, and fell asleep to pleasant images of her kicking the life out of Immaculates and Dragon-bloods alike as she and her companions saved Creation from their oppression.

Delemental

First Post
Memories of Yesterday, Hopes for Tomorrow

Okay, one more and I'm caught up. This is not a Chrysanthemum story, but takes places shortly after the circle (minus Kaliel) arrives in Petgrana.

--------------------------------------

Rutendo was at the door to his mother’s house just as she finished preparing dinner. She invited him in with a gesture and silently served the meal. She didn’t seem displeased so Rutendo decided to start the conversation that they would inevitably have.

"I wondered how you would react.”

Ayama finally met his eyes and rewarded his bravery with a soft smile. “I hope that it was not badly. I was surprised.”

Rutendo shook his head. “I thought you might react… more strongly. Given the situation. It was not bad.”

Ayama reached across the table, laying her hand over her son’s. “There isn’t a moment of the day that I don’t remember that you are my son. Always that first. I worried for a few minutes that somehow this might steal your love away from me but if that might be true then it shows only what a poor mother I am.”

He smiled. “There is not a moment in the day that I don’t remember that you are my mother. I will always love you.”

Ayama smiled more broadly in response, an impish light coming into her eyes. “If you love me then where are my grandchildren?”

Rutendo had the grace to color slightly and stared down into his plate, unsure of how to respond.

"You duck your head like a child but you’re a man now,” Ayama mock-scolded. Then her tone turned more serious. “I am trying to remember that always. I am proud of the man you’ve become and your father would be proud as well. You should be proud of yourself.”

Rutendo looked up from his plate to see the pride shining in his mother’s eyes as well as her impish grin. “I duck like a child because I will always be your child in your heart. I know you too well. As to grandchildren…”

Ayama made a shushing gesture and interrupted, “I joke! My mother joked that way too. You are a man and it is your life to live. I will welcome any additions you make to our family or I will be happy with none if you are happy. But we are not meant to be alone. I want a family for you, so you will be happy. That’s all.”

"My duty makes me happy enough for now. Anything else will take time.” His voice rang with conviction and strength. Ayama’s heart swelled further with pride in her son.

Now it was Rutendo’s chance to turn impish. “But what about you? Father would not begrudge you happiness.”

Ayama gave her son a confused look. “Hm?”

Rutendo's tongue tripped. "Now it is time for me to blush again. Your companions, should I be expecting any of them to try to adopt me? Are you… entangled with anyone?”

Realization dawned on Ayama. “Oh! They are my circle-mates. Long ago we knew each other, in other lifetimes. We recognize each other in that way but no, you should have no worries about Ghost or Kaliel.”

Rutendo cleared his throat. “Um, or the little northerner who has half the village boys following in her wake?”

Ayama shook her head emphatically. “Oh no! If anything Zanka reminds me just a little of Dakari when she was a little girl, though the ice princess has a much sharper temper.”

Sitting in his mother’s house, Rutendo was struck suddenly with a memory of his little sister. “You would spend hours braiding her hair. I remember that. You would braid it into a crown and she would parade around claiming to be a princess.”

"Your father started that. The first time I did her hair that way he said that he approved because it was fitting that everyone should know she was the little princess of his heart.” Ayama shook her head sadly even though she smiled at the sweetness of the memory. “It feels like she should come running around the corner when I am here. Any minute…”

Rutendo took his mother’s hand in his. “I did not know if you would come back. I did not know if you would find it painful to return. I have gotten a few messages that you’ve sent but I was not sure.”

Like she was shaking off a dream, Ayama drew a deep breath and blinked a few times. “This place is special to me. Wherever you are I will go if you need me. And your father and Dakari will always be here in my memories.”

Mother and son finished their meal in silence. Ayama cleared their dishes and utensils and caught Rutendo at the door, hugging him. As she let go and he took a step away she suddenly reached back to him and caught his arm. He turned to his mother, surprised.

"My son, you have no doubt kept in practice with your archery.”

Rutendo frowned, wondering what his mother was thinking. “I have. I am not immodest in saying that I am one of the best archers in the village.”

Ayama smiled and called back over her shoulder as she disappeared into her room, “I have something you may find useful then.”

She brought back a bundle wrapped carefully in canvas. She unwrapped it and handed her son one of the power bows that Ghost had liberated from the Wild Hunt they had encountered.

Rutendo stared at the weapon and the instant he took it into his hands he felt a connection between his essence and the bow. Without thinking he strung the bow and fitted an arrow to the string. The bow seemed to hum with power in his mind. Before he realized what he was doing, Rutendo drew back and let the arrow fly.

Rutendo stared at the hole he had just put through the wall of his mother’s house.

"I am in a great deal of trouble, aren’t I?”

Ayama went to the wall and examined the damage thoughtfully. “This will fuel years of teasing about grown men remembering not to play with bow and arrow indoors.”

"No doubt on top of your pleas for grandchildren.”

Ayama nodded, putting on a mock-serious expression. “No doubt.”

Rutendo put the bow away and embraced his mother again, kissing her cheek. “You are a harsh and implacable woman, mother.”

She patted his cheek and repressed the urge to send him scooting on his way with the gesture she had used when he was a child. “Of course.”

Delemental

First Post
The Circle Widens

The tall spires and towers of Denandsor jutted out from the lightly-wooded plains surrounding it. Even from this distance, several miles from the city’s walls, Ghost could feel a sense of foreboding. There were no animals in the area, even insects, giving the woods an unnatural quiet.

That was not to say that the woods were completely devoid of the living. Ghost had spent his first two days here observing the many scavenger camps that surrounded the city. Most appeared to be relatively new, though there were signs of many other camps that had been abandoned. One fairly permanent camp was held by a garrison from Lookshy, another by explorers from the Guild. Ghost noted that there was little love lost between the various groups, who always went into Denandsor heavily armed. Ghost suspected that the weapons were not so much to defend against the city’s infamous automated guardians, but to defend themselves against the other scavengers should they emerge with something of value. This seemed to be a faint concern, however; none of the groups appeared to have made any progress in wresting Denandsor’s secrets out of the city.

Of more interest to Ghost were the individuals who camped outside the walls. There were only two that he found, in well-hidden camps that were ignored by the larger groups. Those groups clearly felt that one person could not effectively explore the cursed city, and so it was not worth the trouble of checking their progress. For one of them, Ghost found this was true; it was a woman, dressed in rags and scraps of armor, who had clearly become unhinged by the curse and now simply wandered around the city and the forest surrounding it, her madness compelling her to stay close but unable to function beyond bare survival. Ghost found an old journal among her belongings, which indicated she had once been a soldier in Thorns, who had come here after the city was attacked by the Mask of Winters in hopes of finding a weapon to use against the Deathlord.

The other solitary explorer was of more interest to Ghost. An exploration of his camp revealed that this one had been far more successful, and had liberated many items from the city. Most of the objects Ghost found in the camp were made of gold or orichalcum; though he could not begin to fathom what purpose or function these things had, there was no doubt that this explorer had a particular focus in his efforts.

It was evening of the third night when Ghost approached. He walked deliberately and at a casual pace, making no attempt to approach unheard but not wanting to sound as though he was either trying to sneak in or rushing the camp for an attack. Ghost stopped at the edge of the campfire’s light.

“Hail the camp!” Ghost said.

“Who are you?” called out a man’s voice. “What do you want?”

“Someone who wishes to speak with you about the lost city,” Ghost said. “I assure you that I wish you no harm, nor do I wish to take from you that which you have.”

There was a moment’s wary silence. “Approach,” the explorer said, “but keep your hands where I can see them.”

Ghost stepped into the firelight. He could not make out the explorer’s features well against the fire, but saw that he was middle-aged, perhaps in his middle forties. The man peered at him intently for a moment, then seemed to draw back, startled.

“You are a Solar!” he exclaimed.

Ghost stifled his surprise. “And you are perceptive.”

“That is in part because I am a Solar as well.” The man gestured for Ghost to come and sit down. He was a thin but healthy man, with short white hair and a trim, graying beard. He wore an outfit that was practical for his work, plain and durable with many pockets and leather hoops from which equipment could be hung. The camp itself was very tidy and well-organized.

“I am Lear,” the man said as Ghost sat. “of the Twilight Caste.”

“Resplendent Ghost of Midnight, Night Caste.”

“So, what is it that brings you… well, I suppose I know why you are here. But are you seeking something in particular in the City of Makers?”

“Nothing in particular,” Ghost admitted. “My companions and I plan a more extensive exploration of Denandsor in the future; I have come to obtain an initial impression of the city and its curse, so that we may better prepare.” He smiled. “I certainly will not pass up the opportunity to remove any interesting objects from the city.”

“I am planning another foray into the city tomorrow,” Lear said. “I would certainly not mind another pair of eyes with me.”

“And I would benefit from your experience inside Denandsor,” Ghost replied.

“Is there a particular interest you have within the city?” Lear asked.

“For the most part, anything will be good. However, in my research before coming here, I came across a reference to a particular building which piqued my interest.” Ghost picked up a stick and drew a rough map in the dirt of Denandsor, and then marked the location of the airship hangar that bore Kal Bax’s symbol. Ghost was not yet willing to share more about the source of his information; he assumed that Zanka would already be cross with him for copying the map without her knowledge, and would probably be more perturbed if he were to show it to anyone he met. He had not known Lear long enough to fully trust him.

“I have not been to that part of the city,” Lear admitted. “I have avoided the larger buildings for the sake of prudence; I assume they will have more formidable defenses, and I would not wish to become trapped should my will break and I am compelled to leave. This has occurred to me on two or three occasions.”

“I have heard that the curse of Denandsor is formidable and insurmountable,” Ghost said.

“Yes, but in my observations of my fellow explorers, I have learned that we Solars are more resistant to the curse than others. There was even a Lunar here, about six months ago, and though he was far more tolerant of the curse than mortals and Dragon-Bloods, even his will was not as strong as ours. I do not know if this means that the curse is something of Solar design, or simply a result of our superior Exaltation. Still, I have made it a priority in my exploration to locate artifacts that bolster one’s inner resolve, so that I may eventually brave the inner sections of Denandsor.” Lear gestured at the spot on Ghost’s crude map. “What is your interest in this place? Do you feel some sort of connection to it?”

“Somewhat. What little I was able to find out about it did… tickle my memory.”

Lear chuckled. “I have had that experience myself. I myself have been searching for some of the more esoteric devices, those dealing with the channeling of Essence. I have a theory…”

Lear launched into a long, convoluted discussion of his theories. In truth, the word ‘discussion’ was incorrect, as it was the Twilight who spoke while Ghost listened, unable to follow his explanations of ‘motonic theory’ and ‘dragon line field alteration’. He began to sound much like Ayama when she was expounding on advanced principles of alchemy and medicinal lore. Ghost did his best to hide his growing frustration.

“I think that I should turn in,” Ghost said at a brief lapse in Lear’s monologue. “We will want to leave early for Denandsor tomorrow.”

“I agree,” Lear said. “You are welcome to sleep here. I will see you in the morning.”

۞​

The merchant vessel cut through the waters of the Yellow River, spray from its waters churning in its wake. Zanka stood at the bow, now able to see the city of Great Forks coming into view ahead. It was the first time she’d seen the shore in the past two weeks, after sailing on the miles-wide river since she and the shamans from Petgrana had booked passage on this ship.

“I thought I would find you here,” said a familiar voice behind her. “We should be in Great Forks within the hour. I thought you might like to join me in my cabin for some refreshment before we make port.”

Zanka turned to face the man who spoke. Ramba, a man in his mid twenties, stood with an easy, unassuming look on his face, but Zanka had learned better. He was the owner of this ship, and in fact owned several ships and caravans as part of his trading company. This particular ship was bound out of Greyfalls, where Ramba was from originally, and heading to Great Forks, bearing a load of crystal goblets. The man had taken a liking to Zanka, and thus her voyage had been taken in relative luxury, as Ramba himself was accustomed to a certain high lifestyle. He had told her that he was perhaps the greatest merchant in Creation; she had thought this an idle boast at first, but when she had managed to take a quick look at his ledgers, she found that he projected an eightfold profit on this shipment of goblets, far beyond what she would have expected. In her personal conversations with him, she found Ramba to be very charming and persuasive, and even with her own great skill, she found herself on one or two occasions having to check herself lest she give away too much about herself, or make promises she did not wish to keep. As it was, she managed to maintain a friendly rapport with the man without being talked into anything more intimate.

“A little something would be lovely,” Zanka said. She took his arm and followed him to his cabin, where a bottle of white wine was already sitting in a bucket of ice, a Southern vintage which she had found was quite effective in warding off the heat. Ramba poured while Zanka took a seat.

“So,” she said when she was handed her glass, “can you make a recommendation for an inn once we arrive in Great Forks?”

“You do not wish to stay with me, then?” he asked, with only a hint of disappointment.

“I am traveling as a group, you know.”

“Ah, of course. I can make some recommendations then, I suppose. But it would help if I knew how long you were staying. So tell me, what business do you have in Great Forks?”

Zanka considered for a moment, then looked up at Ramba. “My traveling companions are from a small town called Petgrana, which is south of the Meander. The town was recently attacked by barbarians inflicted with a strange plague, one which we discovered also affected gods. We have also encountered this plague in the North. My friend, who is a skilled healer, has discovered a cure for that plague. We were sent to Great Forks to make sure that the knowledge of this plague and its cure reached the gods who rule this city, as we felt they would be most likely of the Terrestrial gods to share the knowledge with others.”

Ramba frowned. “I would take care who you speak to about this. Rumors of plague tend to cause panics.”

“I am no fool,” she said.

“Even with such news, it is likely you will end up languishing in the ministry offices for a month before you meet anyone of import,” Ramba said. “I have connections in the ministries. Allow me to assist you.”

“That would be most welcome,” Zanka said.

“Of course, I would also like to have the formula for that cure.”

“That could be arranged,” Zanka said coolly, “if I can be guaranteed a cut of the profits.”

“Profits? Dear lady, you wound me.”

“And you wound me if you expect me to believe that ‘Creation’s greatest merchant’ would not find a way to turn that cure into profit. After all, I imagine many gods would pay handsomely to guarantee their own safety.”

Ramba considered for a moment. “I would need to be able to find you to deliver the profits.”

“You can send them to Lady Rinalta of Lynnisbrook. She will keep them in trust for me.”

“Very well. How much were you thinking?”

They bartered back and forth for several minutes. In the end, Zanka agreed to accept five percent; she had hoped for more, but found herself wooed by his persuasive arguments that the chances for profits would be somewhat uncertain, and no doubt any customers he found would insist he provide them with the ingredients for the cure as well as the formula, which was never a very lucrative enterprise.

“Shall we seal our bargain?” Ramba asked, smiling as he extended his hand.

Zanka grasped the offered hand. Perhaps it was the irritation she felt knowing she should have been able to negotiate for more, or perhaps it was the effects of three glasses of wine. But in the moment their hands touched, Zanka’s normal precise control faltered, and in that moment her power flared forth. Her anima flashed as their bargain was sealed.

“What the…” Ramba exclaimed as the light faded, and the power of the Eclipse sank into his heart and soul. “Oh, damn!”

Ramba sat back in his chair. Zanka sat for a moment to gauge his reaction, and when she saw that he was not terrified by the revelation of her nature, she smiled.

“You neglected to ask before the deal was made,” she said.

“That is true,” he admitted. Then he flashed a smile back at her. “But had you told me that you were a Lawgiver as well, I might have given you ten percent.”

“Another Lawgiver?” Zanka asked in surprise.

“Would you expect Creation’s greatest merchant to be anything else?”

۞​

Ayama and Kaliel headed east for two weeks, following the path the Panther tribe had made on their way to Petgrana. After a week of travel, the trail became nearly impossible to follow as the ground itself vanished, replaced by gnarled roots and enormous branches. Soon, they were walking upon branches as wide as roads, which bore leaves so large they could have borne the weight of a child. All sight of the sky and the ground vanished, and the horizon became little more than a distant memory.

More and more they relied on Ayama communicating with the animals of the forest to learn where the ‘two-legged cubs of the panther’ had come from, though the occasional discovery of a stray zombie in their path helped assure them they were on the proper course.

Early in their third week of the search, the two Solars were startled by a sudden noise behind them, the sound of something large dropping onto the branch. They turned to see a huge tiger, its coat a deep green with golden stripes. The cat held its position as they turned, not readying itself to pounce but by no means displaying signs of friendship.

“Are you hunting?” Ayama asked the tiger, after calling forth her Charm that allowed her to speak the language of beasts. The cat growled in reply.

“He is telling us to wait,” she said to Kaliel.

“Wait for what?”

“For me,” said a deep voice below them.

A man climbed up from the underside of the branch, using claws built into his gloves and boots to gain purchase on the bark. He was obviously a native of the East; he was tall and slender, though powerfully built, and his long hair was a deep green. His clothing and armor were mottled and patterned after the deep forest, and looked so much like bark that he was difficult to see even when he made no attempt to hide. The only thing that stood out was the silver bow across his back.

“What can we do for the two of you?” Ayama asked, maintaining an open, nonaggressive posture.

“I believe we are following the same path,” the man said.

“What path is that?”

“I am following the trail of a plague-ridden tribe that came this way about a month ago.”

“Then we are following the same trail,” Kaliel said. “Though their numbers are far fewer now.”

“From the plague, or were they attacked?” the man asked.

“Some of both,” Kaliel admitted. “They attempted to attack the town I was in.”

“I only wish to make certain that no more will be coming,” the tall Easterner said.

“We have seen the disease that they carry before,” Ayama said. “The first time we encountered it, it had its origin in a shadowland. Are there any such places near here?”

“The local tribes have been speaking of a place they now avoid,” the man said. “It is called the Sea of Dead Vines. This may be what you seek. I do not know where exactly this place lies, but if you will have me, I will gladly accompany you.”

“I would not object to the help,” Kaliel said.

“I am Standing Oak,” the man said, “and this is my companion Kringer*.”

“I am Ayama, and this is Kaliel.” The Zenith paused. “What is your intent?”

“I intend to make certain this plague does not spread,”
Standing Oak said. “If I must kill the remains of the tribe to do this, so be it.”

“It will not be necessary,” Ayama said. “I can cure them.”

“This is good,” Standing Oak nodded. “Come, we should continue on our way.”

The foursome traveled along the massive trees of the East for several more hours. By this time tracking through mundane means was all but impossible; instead, both Ayama and Standing Oak relied on their ability to communicate with the birds and beasts to follow the trail. Kaliel found himself unable to comprehend this ability.

“You interact with them as though they were capable of speech,” he said to Ayama, “yet they are beasts.”

“Anyone who is sufficiently attuned to nature comes to have an understanding of animals beyond what most people have. Depending upon the species and the nature of the beast, there are certain elements of behavior and body language they have in common. For example, large cats are solitary and hunt by stealth, as opposed to a pack animal such as a wolf. Once you understand this, and the behaviors that support it, it is similar to a conversation. In this way, it is not dissimilar to when you and I speak; though we share words in common, much of our communication takes place through interpretations of posture and tone, and thus…” Ayama trailed off, and then smiled. “And your eyes are glazing over, so I will end there.”

Kaliel shook his head. “It is much like when you explain your medicines to me,” he admitted.

“It sounded to me like she was over-thinking it,” Standing Oak commented.

The four stopped at last to make camp, simply stopping in the midst of one of the road-sized branches. Ayama saw that Standing Oak was staring to gather dead wood.

“A fire is not necessary,” Ayama said.

“I had assumed that your civilized friend would like his food cooked,” Standing Oak replied.

“There is no need,” Kaliel said. “If I can stomach frozen mammoth meat, then this should be no worse.”

“Very well,” Standing Oak said, “but it would still be good to ward off the insects. Some of the diseases they carry come from the Wyld, and this is not a good place to fall ill.” The Northerner removed a large, flat slab of slate from his pack and set it on the branch, then built a small fire atop it. When the flames were going strong, he threw a handful of herbs on top, which emitted a thick, pungent smoke. Kaliel noticed that some of the vines hanging nearby actually recoiled as the flames climbed into the air.

“Did those plants… move?”

“Yes,” Ayama said.

Kaliel looked around. He hadn’t thought it possible to feel claustrophobic outdoors, but the omnipresent forest felt as though it was pressing down on him. He longed for the sight of sky or ground.

“When will we get to somewhere more civilized?” Kaliel asked.

“We are going the wrong way for that,” Standing Oak said. “We are going the right way for Fair Folk and animate plants, however.”

Their travels continued for several more days. Though their new companion seemed cordial enough, they learned little about him, as he and Kringer would often range far ahead in order to hunt or to make certain the trail ahead was clear. Eventually, however, they began to notice changes in their surroundings. The air seemed to be even more stagnant and stifling than usual, and the normal birds and insects they had seen were replaced by raitons, spiders, and centipedes. It was clear that they were drawing near the Sea of Dead Vines.

Late in the day, a little over three weeks after Ayama and Kaliel had left Petgrana, the group heard a rustling in the brush nearby. Rounding a bole, they spied the collapsed form of one of the Panther tribesman in the path ahead. He was laying face down, obviously grievously wounded, and they saw a large form moving off in the distance, into the forest.

“Stay here,” Standing Oak said, as he began to move after the retreating shape.

“I will come with you,” Kaliel said, drawing his tetsubo.

“No. You do not know this forest as I do. Remain here with her.” With that, Standing Oak and Kringer ran off.

Ayama was already kneeling beside the body. She glanced over him, seeing that he barely clung to life. Gently, she rolled him over. A large, jagged wound crossed his abdomen. When the tribesman’s eyes locked onto Ayama, his lips moved, and he began to speak in a strange, rushing voice.

“Get away from me, you undead fiends!”

And then the man exploded.

-------------------------------------

* Although we pronounce the tiger's name as KREEN-gur in-game, it is still, unfortunately, a green tiger named 'Kringer'. It will not be the last bad name pun you encounter in this tale, I'm afraid.

Delemental

First Post
Ghost emerged from his tent at what he thought was an unseemly early hour, only to find Lear waiting for him, fully dressed and packed. Ghost saw that a number of the small gold and orichalcum objects he had found among Lear’s possessions now festooned the Twilight. He also bore a monocle on his right eye, which appeared to have grafted itself to his temple.

“Are you ready?” Lear asked.

“A moment, please.” Ghost went about pulling on his boots and grabbing a quick bite of his trail rations, washing it down with a quick swallow of watered-down wine. “So,” he said while chewing, “what are all those things for? Should I be looking for similar objects?”

“Most of these are keys to enter some of the buildings I have already explored,” Lear explained. “I have found it useful to have several places to hide from the patrolling automata. The monocle I found in Denandsor as well, and it allows me to see Essence flows – that is how I knew you were a Solar. I have found a few such interesting objects inside.”

“I believe that is the objective for everyone who comes here,” Ghost joked.

“Yes, but it helps to be able to distinguish a chunk of gold with Old Tongue markings on it from the orichalcum control mechanism for an automated guardian, even though they may appear physically identical.”

They walked for half an hour before reaching the walls of Denandsor. Roots and vines crawled all over the white stone walls, though none looked sturdy enough to climb. Lear led them to the northwestern gate.

“I prefer to enter here,” he explained. “It is the least observed of all the entrances, and I prefer my explorations go unnoticed.”

In the midst of the gate was mounted a circular disk of stone. Lear stepped forward and touched the center of the stone with a finger. “This will take a few moments,” he said. “Keep your eyes open.”

As Lear concentrated, Ghost could hear something moving inside the door, which sounded like huge tumblers spinning. After about thirty seconds, there was a click, and the gate slid open.

“Inside, quickly,” Lear said.

The full weight of Denandsor’s curse hit Ghost the moment he stepped through. His breath came in shallow gasps as he was overwhelmed by a feeling of terror. His heart pounding, it was all Ghost could do to focus his thoughts. At last, he focused on imagining himself being hailed as the first being in Creation to conquer the cursed city of Denandsor, the first to steal its greatest secrets…

A few moments later, he calmed, and was able to open his eyes and look around. The forest growth that surrounded the city had penetrated inside as well, and Ghost could see plants and tree roots everywhere. But underneath, Ghost could see the exquisite construction; windows still held panes of glass, and the flagstones in the street, though they had been dislodged by protruding roots, had not broken. Ghost could see glimpses of jade, orichalcum, and other rare materials used everywhere in the construction.

“You did well for your first time,” Lear said. “But the curse will assault your mind constantly. You must be vigilant.” He looked around to make sure no one was nearby, and then shouldered his pack. “Come. We will head east, and then south to reach the part of the city you wish to explore. I am not certain how close we will be able to get, as I fear the defenses will be more formidable.”

Ghost nodded, and his caste mark flared to life as he prepared some of his Charms in case he had to move quickly. Lear looked at him, and then said, “Though I do not think the exposure of your caste mark will cause problems here, I suggest you take care not to allow your anima to become visible outside the walls. If we need to retreat, it could prove problematic.”

They walked along what looked to have been a small road, used mostly for foot traffic, which paralleled one of the main avenues. Even in this back alley, Ghost marveled at the buildings he saw. A few times Lear held up his hand to stop Ghost, and after peering around for a few moments, they continued on their way.

When they had crossed roughly half of the city, Ghost heard a strange noise behind them, coming from a crossroad to their left. It sounded like several large crystals moving around, chiming as they contacted each other. Ghost estimated the sounds were about thirty yards away, and approaching slowly. He looked at Lear, who appeared not to have noticed.

“Lear, I can hear the sound of what I believe are many large, chiming crystals coming this way from over there.”

“Oh!” Lear said, excitement on his face. “The crystal guardians! Those are most interesting. I theorize that…” Lear suddenly trailed off, and his face turned from glee to concern. “Oh. We should probably hide.”

They ran over to a nearby doorway, crouching in the entry as Lear surveyed the many objects in his pockets and belts. “Damn,” he said quietly, “I do not have a key for this door.”

Hearing the chiming sound drawing closer, Ghost looked around frantically for another hiding place. Unfortunately, the section of the city they were in held few other doorways, and those he could see were too far away. He cast a glance at the door at their backs, to take a guess at how difficult it would be to break through. But then he saw the symbol etched on the door; a spider monkey, overlaid with the image of a spider. A sudden twinge of ancient memory intruded into his consciousness.

“The gods of luck must love me,” Ghost whispered. He slapped his palm on the center of the symbol, and forced a small amount of his Essence into the stone. The door slid open, and Ghost and Lear tumbled into the pitch-black room, the stone door sliding shut silently behind them.

۞​

Zanka awoke late the next morning, and set about leisurely preparing for her breakfast with Ramba at noon. She had been advised by the Solar merchant on the many diversions that Great Forks offered, and had opted to attend a play, feeling that most of the other forms of entertainment offered were more of Ghost’s forte.

The play she had attended was a classic within Great Forks, so much so that although the performance was excellent, the theater was sparsely attended, with most of the audience being visitors like herself. It was the tale of the founding of the city, how the gods Spinner of Glorious Tales, Weaver of Dreams of Victory, and Shield of a Different Day had come together to defeat the Deathlord known as Princess Magnificent With Lips of Coral and Robes of Black Feathers. Zanka delighted at the thought of a story being the weapon that defeated such a potent menace to Creation, and also knew that familiarity with the city’s most basic myth would help her acclimate to the culture more quickly.

She arrived at the inn where Ramba was staying just a few minutes before noon. She wore a light, elegant dress which matched the local style, and had chosen to wear the moonsilver and white jade stole that Ghost had given her. She was shown to a private dining chamber, where a large repast of various meats, cheeses, and tree fruits were arranged on platters. Ramba sat facing the curtained entry, and the chair facing away was clearly occupied by someone else.

“Good morning,” Ramba said, rising slightly as Zanka entered. “You are a little early. My companion was just preparing to leave before her next appointment. Zanka Odokari, may I introduce you to Quon Qi Xi, a popular courtesan in this city.”

“A pleasure to meet you, Quon Qi Xi,” Zanka said.

Pearlescent Lotus Whispers’ head peered around the side of the high-backed chair. “How lovely to make your acquaintance, Zanka,” she said.

Zanka’s expression did not falter. “You have exquisite taste, Ramba.”

“I know.” He grinned as he looked at both Zanka and ‘Quon’. “In my profession, one must be a good judge of merchandise. Not that either of you are merchandise, of course.”

“But of course I am,” Quon replied. “But I must be on my way.” She rose, and after bowing to both Ramba and Zanka, she departed. As she brushed by Zanka, the Eclipse felt the courtesan slip something into a pocket.

Zanka took Pearl’s chair once clean dishes were laid out. She took a sampling of some fruit as Ramba continued.

“I am afraid I cannot entertain you as long as I would like. We are setting sail for Nexus this afternoon. I need to pick up a load of slaves to bring back here to Great Forks.”

“I see.” Zanka could not help but feel disappointment at this news. She hated the slave trade, having almost become a victim of it herself. “At least they are well treated here.”

“Which is why I make a point of buying slaves from there and bringing them here,” Ramba said. “The profit is terrible, but at least they will have a better life than most slaves. And I enjoy the feeling of beating the Guild at their own game in their own domain.”

“I think some of my companions would agree with your philosophy,” Zanka admitted. “But if you are leaving this afternoon, does this mean you will not be able to meet with your contacts in the government?”

“I sent a messenger to the Ministries last night,” he said. “He had to be a bit forceful, I’m afraid, but you have an appointment in two days’ time to meet with Erika Rednails, the Deputy Minister of the Ministry of Other Matters.”

“The Ministry of Other Matters?” questioned Zanka.

“Great Forks has nine ministries, three each under the auspices of Talespinner, Dreamweaver, and Dayshield. The Ministry of Other Matters handles those issues which do not fall under the purview of the other eight. The nine Ministers are the ruling body of Great Forks, under the three gods themselves, of course.”

“I see. What can you tell me about this Erika Rednails?”

“She is very ambitious, as many bureaucrats are. She believes that taking over the job of her superior, Minister Vandereth Senzak, will be the key to greater power in the city. Unfortunately for her, the Ministry of Other Matters is commonly the destination for those officials who are seen as… less than useful. Now, Minister Vandereth himself, despite the reputation of his ministry, appears to be genuinely interested in the welfare of the city and in doing his job well. Were you able to meet with him, I feel fairly certain that your information about this plague and its cure would soon reach Vandereth’s superior, Talespinner. In Erika’s hands, I fear that it will be set aside for use as a future bargaining chip.”

“That is not the intention that my friend Ayama had when she entrusted this mission to me,” Zanka said.

“I am afraid that I did not have the time to arrange to get you any higher in the bureaucracy,” Ramba admitted. “I will trust that you have the skill to surmount this obstacle. Another tactic you may consider is a direct appeal to one of the ruling gods. They may respond to a prayer directed to one of them, though in all fairness I should warn you that they receive a large number of prayers in this city, and so yours would have to be particularly noticeable.”

“I will consider that option.” Zanka took a bite from a large, reddish pear, and then dabbed her mouth with a napkin. “You have been a wealth of helpful information.”

“I like to know about the places I do business in,” he explained. “It helps to know how things work, who you can trust, how things can get done, who you can swindle.” He chuckled for a moment. “That reminds me of something rather outrageous I did a few months ago in Gem.”

“Oh, do tell.”

“Through some rather clever arrangements, I was able to corner the market on the year’s supply of firedust from Gem. I then approached the House Cathak and offered to sell it all to them – at double the market price. They agreed, of course – even at such a price, they would be fools to pass up a chance to get their hands on that much firedust. However, I then approached the leaders of Gem, and offered to sell most of their product back to them, at slightly less than market price, plus five percent of their profits. They, of course, were more than happy with these terms. I then took what firedust I had left, mixed it with sand and ash, and sold it to the Cathaks. They, in turn, resold it to other Houses, who are now quite irritated with House Cathak for being sold an inferior product. Those other Houses then returned to Gem to buy their firedust, which of course was now much more expensive. And I left Gem, many jade talents richer.”

“That is quite an impressive exploit.” Zanka studied Ramba for a moment. “I admit I have been unable to guess what caste you might belong to. I would guess you are not a Crowned Sun like myself, else you would not have been taken off guard by my sanctification of our agreement.”

“I am someone who can sell anyone to anything, and make a profit,” Ramba said. “The auspice of our Second Breath, I believe, is a polite suggestion at best. We all have our own natural talents, and this has always been mine. Truth be told, I did not use any Solar abilities in arranging the deal in Gem that swindled the Realm, as at the time I was not a Solar. My Exaltation came upon me at the end of that deal, which was unfortunate, really. It forced me to leave town rather more quickly than I had hoped, and it is difficult to carry sixteen talents of jade on your back out into the desert. I had to settle for one, and hid the rest.”

“Now I am even more impressed. For a mortal to execute such a grand deception…”

Ramba smiled. “There is little point in doing things on a small scale. It is all a game, after all; the money just helps you determine who is winning.”

“A philosophy that Ghost shares, I think,” Zanka replied.

“Ghost?”

“A friend.”

“Would that friend be Resplendent Ghost of Midnight?”

“You know of him?” Zanka was genuinely surprised.

“His name has been circulating up and down the coast of the Inland Sea,” Ramba said. “Lady Ragara Mmemon Luana, the lady whose house he visited… and whose property I believe you are currently wearing, is offering his head’s weight in jade to whoever brings Resplendent Ghost of Midnight to her, whether that head is still attached or not.”

۞​

Shards of bone and globules of acid sprayed everywhere. Kaliel jumped backward, raising an arm to cover his face. When he lowered his arm, he realized that his leap had carried him much farther up into the air than he had expected – and he was still rising.

He shot past another large branch, several yards above where he had been standing, and his ascent stopped. He came to a landing on the higher branch, which was smaller than the one below but still almost five yards across. As he feet touched the surface, he felt something unhook for the back of his armor, and saw a black chain rising up swiftly into the canopy above.

A few yards away, a figure descended, clinging to the same length of chain. She was a woman, tall and statuesque, with flowing reddish-brown hair. She was nearly nude, dressed only in a few straps of leather and pieces of metal that looked as though they had been bolted to her flesh. The woman landed lightly on her feet, and the chain coiled around her arms. She assumed a martial posture.

“You, I think, will be a challenge,” she said, giving him a lascivious look. “That is good. I have not enjoyed such a thing in a long time.”

Kaliel regarded the woman and the metal that pierced her flesh. “That looks like it hurts.”

“Oh, yes,” she purred. “It does.” She took a step closer.

Kaliel brought his tetsubo forward. “I do not think you want to do this.”

“Oh, yes,” she moaned. “I do.” She began to walk more deliberately toward Kaliel. “I am Nine Wounds Laughing.”

“I am the Auric Lion,” Kaliel replied. “Prepare for your tenth and final wound.”

A tittering laugh was her only reply, and the sudden hardening of her exposed nipples gave tell to her reaction to Kaliel’s threat.

Far below, Ayama rose, her ears still ringing. She had quickly channeled Essence into her body when the man had exploded, and the jagged shards of bone had bounced off her skin harmlessly. She looked around, and realized that Kaliel was missing. As she began to look around for him, her attention was drawn by a loud noise, as four huge monstrosities crashed through the foliage as they charged her. They looked like huge, misshapen men who had been stitched together from spare parts, including a third, unusually long arm grafted to their back. Each creature bore a huge axe in its extra limb.

Ayama waited for the abominations to approach. When they drew near, Ayama’s eyes swam and her stomach churned from the unholy stench each of them emitted. As they converged and swung their axes over their heads, their bodies pitching forward, Ayama deflected the first blow, and then caught its arm, and when it pulled up, she was carried over its head and out of the way of the other three. As she rose, she caught sight of something small flying at her from the same direction these horrors had come from. Calmly, Ayama simply allowed the momentum of the abomination she had grabbed to carry her out of the projectile’s path. As it sailed by, she realized with horror that the missile was a stillborn baby, still connected to a long umbilical cord, and dripping a vile fluid. The cord went taut, and the foetal child suddenly exploded, much as the tribesman had. Iron-red acid rained upon the four monsters, rolling off their rubbery flesh, and Ayama managed to shield herself behind the bulk of one of them. Looking out through the foliage, Ayama saw a creature lurking in the brush that looked like a morbidly obese dead woman, whose lower jaw had been replaced with a flap of flesh. Something unnatural crawled around inside the woman’s abdomen.

Nine Wounds Laughing leapt at Kaliel, her chain wrapping around a branch overhead allowing her to swing at him. As she came close, she twisted, going past Kaliel and attempting to entangle him in the loose end of her chain. As she passed, she emitted some sort of foul black energy from her hands, which crawled up Kaliel’s arms and attempted to force itself down his throat, into his eyes, through his nose. He felt his own Essence rising from within, pushing the necrotic energy out. Kaliel stepped back, and brought his tetsubo around in a spinning arc, wrapping the chain around his own weapon. He then pulled on the tetsubo, jerking Nine Wounds Laughing forward into his range. As she drew near, he saw that a mark had appeared on her forehead – an empty ring, like the Night Caste symbol that Ghost bore, but instead of light, this symbol looked like an ugly bruise, that slowly dripped blood. As he swung his weapon around, he was surprised to realize that the woman had pulled herself even closer, and looked as though she was opening herself up to accept his blow.

His tetsubo crashed down into her left shoulder, tearing through bone and sinew until it stopped near her sternum. Nine Wounds Laughing, nearly bent in half, fell off the weapon with a sickening sucking sound. As she rose, however, the wound almost instantly sealed itself up, leaving her without a mark on her body. She skipped a few steps backward, her chain whirling about her body in a dizzying pattern, before suddenly charging forward, lashing out with several feints before unleashing an attack aimed just under Kaliel’s chestplate.

The Bronze Tiger responded by grasping his weapon high up on the handle, using his other hand to pivot the tetsubo around as the chain came at him. He planted his weapon into the solid wood of the tree, trapping the end of the chain even as he propelled himself into the air. He sailed over the head of Nine Wounds Laughing, spinning and lashing out with his tetsubo. Nine Wounds Laughing attempted to wrap her chain around Kaliel’s weapon and use the momentum to propel herself out of the way, but she misjudged his speed, and though she avoided his first swing, on the return his weapon landed on her left shoulder again, dislocating it. She shuddered in ecstasy at the impact, and as she danced away, she let out a satisfied sigh as she rotated her arm around, snapping the joint back in place.

Ayama landed a short distance away from the four creatures she was fighting, and immediately turned and rushed at them again, not wanting to give the creature in the brush nearby a clear shot at her. She leapt as one of them brought its axe down into the tree, grabbing its wrist and using it as a pivot to suddenly swing around and deliver a flying kick at one of the other creatures. Her attack was deflected as the creature swung about wildly, forcing her to roll away to avoid the heavy blades of the axes. Her righteous fury built up inside her as she whirled and dodged the filthy clawed arms, using her superior speed to constantly place one of the abominations between her and an attacker. Finally, offended by the very presence of the unnatural beasts in Creation, her power flowed out into her body, infusing her with the righteous wrath of the Unconquered Sun.

She dove at the nearest creature, jumping up as its axe descended and kicking it in the face. Bone crunched and foul blood sprayed as the creature’s head spun nearly completely around; for a normal creature, it would have been fatal, but for this stitched horror it was more of an inconvenience. She continued her assault, her blows now striking with much greater potency.

High in the tree above Ayama’s head, Nine Wounds Laughing deftly avoided Kaliel’s swings, and then whipped her chain in a wide arc, wrapping up Kaliel’s arms against his torso. As she jumped in, landing on his chest, she hooked her ankles inside the chain to support herself, reaching out with her hands to choke the life our of her enemy. Kaliel managed to wrest his arms free at the last moment, and grabbed her hands…

[SPECIAL]He was in a large, well-appointed chamber, golden hued and lit from some unseen source. Stars glittered through a huge window behind him. He was in an opulent bed, a beautiful woman under him. They moved together in passion, her golden hair splayed out across bedding spun from the silk of spider-gods. He looked down at his illicit lover, and saw the empty ring of her caste symbol start to glow as she neared the peak of ecstasy. He knew his own Dawn caste mark was shining in unison with hers, and as they reached the moment of release, their animas flared bright, filling the room with light. His lover’s eyes opened at that moment, and caught his own.[/SPECIAL]

Kaliel emerged from his dream vision, and saw those same eyes staring back at him, now framed with red-brown hair.

Nine Wounds Laughing, who had just emerged from the same memory, suddenly jumped away, the expression on her face a mixture of confusion, anger, fear, and desire.

“What trickery is this?” she hissed, unable to look directly at Kaliel due to the intensity of his aura.

“Not a trick. A memory.”

“No,” she whispered. Her voice quavered, repeating her denial in a growing crescendo. “No. No. No! NO!”

She backed away, not even trying to maintain a defensive posture. Then she turned and leapt away, sailing through the air to the branch of a nearby tree. She continued to bound through the forest, until she was swallowed by the darkness. Kaliel watched as she vanished into the forest, and then slowly he turned and walked to the edge of his own branch, looked down for a moment, and silently jumped off.

Ayama whipped around until she was behind one of the abominations, and then jumped up, grabbing the wrist of its third arm and forcing it upward, burying the axe into the creature’s skull. She struck with such force that the third arm ripped free, and went spinning off through the air. The other three converged on Ayama, axes slashing through the air, as she climbed up atop the misshapen, bloody creature. She leapt away at the last moment, and three huge axes buried themselves in the creature she had been standing on, chopping it into several large chunks of foul flesh.

“Come!” she shouted at the other three. “I will cleanse Creation of your taint!”

The entire branch shook as Kaliel descended from above, using the momentum of his fall to augment his blow as his tetsubo crashed down onto the back of one of the hulking constructs. Its spine shattered with a crack that echoed through the dense forest, and the undead creature was nearly split in half. Landing hard, Kaliel turned to advance on the two remaining constructs, when something struck him in the back, spraying a foul-smelling red liquid as it exploded. Kaliel whirled to see small chunks of flesh raining down, and the end of some sort of cord or tentacle receding rapidly into the brush. With a roar, Kaliel charged. He came upon the bloated abomination that had attacked him, and with a shout of rage he slammed the end of his tetsubo into her face, hearing the crunch of bone. He lifted her up bodily on the end of his weapon, carrying the obese body up over his head and slamming it into the ground behind him. The horrifying creature fell apart, acidic blood spraying everywhere and collecting in a pool, which sizzled as it ate into the wood of the tree.

A few feet away, Ayama charged at one of the stitched horrors, propelling herself up the folds of its flesh like stairs as she ascended its body. Grabbing its misshapen head, she slammed her knee into its face, shattering it into a pulpy mass. She leapt away as the creature staggered back, whipping around and landing a kick to the ribcage of the other construct.

With indecipherable roars of pain and rage, the abominations tried to attack the two Solars. Ayama evaded one blow by skidding through the pools of gore covering the battlefield, sliding out of the creature’s reach and coming to a stop within arm’s reach of Kaliel, who was preparing to meet the charge of the other abomination. As it drew close, he stepped aside, and with a quick spin planted his tetsubo into the back of the creature’s skull. The beast flew several feet through the air, landing in the midst of the pool of acids left by the death of the horrifying pregnant female construct. As the abomination thrashed wildly, the acid melting its flesh, Kaliel came around with his backswing and took the head off the last remaining creature. The body staggered, and then tumbled off the branch, falling into the infinite forest until it could no longer be seen.

“Where did you go?” Ayama asked. Kaliel was about to reply, when they both heard the roar of a tiger, not too far off.

Standing Oak emerged from the underbrush, backing up toward the two Solars slowly, his bow out and drawn. He fired a glowing arrow into the brush. When he came close, they saw the bright caste mark of a Dawn Solar on his brow.

“More are coming,” he said. “Undead, very large. Kringer is leading some of them off on a false trail.”

Looking out through the forest, both Ayama and Kaliel could see the movement of several dark shapes converging on them.

“It looks like there are a lot of them,” Ayama said.

“Not a very fair fight,” Standing Oak replied.

“I agree,” Kaliel said, shaking the gore off his tetsubo. “They do not stand a chance.”

Delemental

First Post
The room was pitch black, though the echoes of their footsteps told them that wherever they were, it was large, and empty. Two caste marks flared to life immediately, filling the room with a dim light.

They stood on one end of a large, marble chamber, roughly a hundred feet across and circular in shape. The room was devoid of furnishings or other doorways, other than a staircase against the far wall that curved along the wall to the next floor up. The domed ceiling rose about thirty or forty feet over their heads, and looked like a seamless hemisphere of gold-veined white marble. There were no buttresses or pillars supporting the structure.

A large number of human skeletons were strewn about the room; some looked like they were only a few weeks old, others were so ancient that they were little more than dust. The signs of battles were noticeable in the chamber; spatters of dried blood, chips in the marble floors and walls, and dark scorch marks everywhere. Underneath the bodies, Ghost saw that the floor once bore an engraved symbol of the Unconquered Sun embossed in gold, which someone had attempted to chip away or cover with paint long ago.

Lear looked carefully around the room, his caste mark pulsing as he concentrated. “I have good news and less fortunate news,” he said. “The good news is that I believe this is a manse. The less fortunate news is that the defenses of this manse appear to be active. Although this likely means that the contents of this building have not been disturbed, it also means we will have to contend with those same defenses.”

“What kind of defenses are they?” Ghost asked.

“I can detect three types of energy,” Lear said, twisting his monocle as it sat on his eye. “One is Solar, and is the oldest of the three, possibly dating to the manse’s construction. The next bears a Lunar power signature, and is roughly 1,300 years old. The final signature is Terrestrial in nature, and has been here less than a millennium.”

“I do not know if this will help,” Ghost said, “but I believe that I once lived here.”

“Truly?”

“The symbol on the door, the carving of the spider monkey – that is the same form that my anima takes. I have seen it carved in other places where I have been in the past. The spider that overlays it is new to me, however.”

Lear thought for a moment. “My research indicates that each Solar often worked in coordination with a particular Lunar. Perhaps the spider is symbolic of your past incarnation’s Lunar counterpart. This may also explain the Lunar energy signature I have detected.”

“And the Dragon-Blood magic?”

“Perhaps another layer of defense added later. The creation of those energies occurred some time during the Shogunate, predating the Scarlet Empire and the Great Contagion. That would also predate the curse that surrounds Denandsor. It is possible that the Dragon-Bloods who occupied Denandsor at that time were unable to penetrate this manse’s defenses, and so they added their own security to prevent any Anathema from accomplishing what they could not.”

“That does not bode well for our chances,” Ghost grimaced.

“Perhaps. But many of Denandsor’s automated systems have malfunctioned over the centuries, including some defensive systems. We may be fortunate. However, I believe that this part falls more in your domain than mine.”

Ghost looked around the room again. He was hesitant at first, which was not like him. He realized, suddenly, that the omnipresent aura of dread that permeated the city was affecting him more than he realized. Steeling himself, he began to walk slowly across the floor, looking carefully for any signs of movement.

About halfway across the chamber, Ghost suddenly felt a slight warming on the foot he had just placed on the floor. Looking down, he saw a tiny disc of light on his ankle, emanating from some unseen spot on the far wall.

Ghost jumped backward as he heard a slight grinding sound above, and a beam of white-hot energy shot down from the ceiling, scorching the spot on the floor where he had been standing only a moment before. He felt heat on the back of his head, and caught the smell of burning hair. As he landed, he saw another spot of light on his boot, and immediately sprung away again on one foot, at the same time hooking the toe of his other foot under the rotting ribcage of one of the corpses and flinging in skyward. The second beam struck the corpse, incinerating it in an instant as Ghost leapfrogged away. He ended up back against the wall, his legs stretched out into splits with one foot on the floor and the other on the wall.

“I think I have identified the nature of the defenses here,” he said after a while.

“Fire lances!” Lear said with excitement. “How very exciting! And so cleverly concealed… they must have been able to construct them much smaller than modern equivalents…” Lear looked over at Ghost, still perched on the wall. “Oh, yes, I suppose we should do something about that.”

“I would appreciate it,”” Ghost grumbled.

Lear reached into a pocket and withdrew a handful of rubble. He began tossing chunks of broken masonry around the room, striking various points of the floor and walls. Beams of white-hot fire lanced down on several occasions as the pieces crossed the triggering light beams. As he worked, Lear looked carefully around the room through his monocle. Finally, he pocketed the remainder of the rocks.

“It appears that the triggering beams only cover the floor, not the walls,” he said. “Unfortunately, the beams appear to be activated on a random pattern, so there is no real way to predict where it is safe to walk. I have also been able to determine that the Essence flows of the room converge near a spot on the staircase, below the fifth stair. I suspect that some sort of control mechanism is hidden there.”

Ghost looked across the room, judging the distance. He closed his eyes for a moment, focusing himself, and then suddenly launched himself off the wall. He arced through the air, almost looking like he was flying, until he landed just in front of the stairs, only inches from the hard marble.

“Most impressive,” Lear nodded. Ghost had jumped nearly the entire distance across the room.

It took several minutes of searching, guided by Lear’s advice, but finally Ghost was able to locate a hidden panel. Opening it, Ghost saw a series of sixteen buttons, labeled in Old Tongue. Staring at the panel, he was about to ask Lear for some advice, when his vision suddenly dimmed. He felt his hand rise, and flash across the buttons, entering a code. When his vision cleared, Ghost saw that the lights in the marble chamber had brightened, and Lear was walking calmly across the room, sidestepping corpses to join the Night caste by the stairs.

“I am surprised that you were able to deactivate the defenses so quickly,” Lear said. “How did you decipher the code?”

“It was a name,” Ghost said slowly, mentally retracing the movements of his hands. “Revealing Whispers. It seems… familiar, but I cannot place it.”

“Neither can I,” Lear admitted. “Perhaps it was your own name in the First Age, or that of your Lunar partner.” Lear cast his glance up the stairs. “Well, shall we see what awaits us upstairs?” With that, Lear turned, and with a cheerful whistle half-ran up the stairs.

۞​

Kaliel hefted his weapon and began to walk forward, until he felt a strong hand on his shoulder.

“Wait,” Standing Oak said. “We have more pressing concerns elsewhere.”

He led Kaliel and Ayama into the trees, with the Zenith keeping a wary eye on the shifting shadowy shapes behind them. After a few minutes, they emerged into a clearing that the all knew immediately was the Sea of Dead Vines. The reason for its name was plain to see; the area was open to the sky, unlike most of the forest they had traversed for weeks. The ground stretched out across roughly two miles, composed of woven dead vines forming a relatively flat patch of ‘ground’. Arrayed across this field was a mass of hundreds of zombies, arranged in a rough formation. At the center of the formation stood a giant suit of armor, eighteen feet in height, composed of bone, black metal, and flesh.

“Warstrider,” Kaliel said. “I have seen them in operation before, but none that appear like that.”

“It is an Abyssal warstrider,” Ayama said. “Powered by foul necromancy.”

A hollow voice rang out from the warstrider, across the parade field. “Commence Field Test Operation Alpha Two.”

“That one is mine,” Kaliel said. Again, he felt the hand on his shoulder as he began to step forward.

“Wait.”

Standing Oak gave out a series of shrill whistles. Within moments, the edges of the clearing began to shift, as two hundred and fifty beastmen emerged from the trees. The cat-like humanoids snarled and howled, but held their positions.

“You did not think I came all this way alone, did you?”

“We did,” Kaliel replied.

“Yes, but I am smarter than you.”

Kaliel surveyed the scene. “I do not see a challenge here.”

The exasperation was plain on Standing Oak’s face as he turned to Ayama and said, “Shall we let this one go forth, and retrieve his corpse later?”

Ignoring them, Kaliel has stepped out into the clearing. His anima was still glowing brightly from his battle with Nine Wounds Laughing and the necromantic horrors, which drew attention to him immediately. Kaliel raised his tetsubo, pointing at the warstrider, and then tapped the weapon against his own chestplate. The warstrider, who had begun ordering his zombie forces to engage the beastmen, stopped to regard this new threat. After what seemed an interminable pause, the pilot’s voice echoed across the Sea of Dead Vines again.

“Field Test Alpha Two-A commencing.”

The warstrider then turned to face the advancing Solar, as the zombies continued shuffling off into the trees. The beastmen also melted into the trees, and when Ayama glanced over, she saw that Standing Oak had also vanished.

The warstrider closed the distance with Kaliel, a blade of dark steel emerging from its forearm. About two dozen yards away, it raised its other arm and shot a beam of foul, black Essence at Kaliel which caught him on the arm in a glancing blow. There was no pain, but he saw the flesh on his arm boil away, leaving exposed muscle ringed by necrotic skin.

They closed with each other as Kaliel’s anima flared to full strength again. His ethereal wings snapped back and then forward as he brought his tetsubo around in a low swing aimed at knocking the warstrider off balance, his weapon swirling through the chrysanthemum blossoms as he attacked. The warstrider brushed the wings aside with its elbows, and blocked his attack with its own blade. It then slashed out with a low backswing aimed at decapitating the Solar. Kaliel quickly dropped to one knee and raised his tetsubo, his anima wings wrapping around the jade weapon as it deflected the blow away. Golden sparks sprayed up from the tetsubo, while black sparks rained down from the Abyssal blade, feeling cold against Kaliel’s flesh.

One of Kaliel’s wings curved up around the warstrider, almost cradling him as he brought his weapon across, aiming to strike the elbow to knock its weapon out of position. But it raised its arm at the last second, avoiding Kaliel’s attack as it then brought its own weapon down, trying to cut the Bronze Tiger in half. Kaliel planted his tetsubo into the ground, bringing the end up to meet the point of the warstrider’s blade and deflect it away, but the dark weapon still bit deep into Kaliel’s shoulder, stopping near his sternum. Kaliel gasped as he felt the remnants of his Essence being drained out into the foul metal of the warstrider’s blade, and the screams of the damned echoed in his ears as his vision darkened.

Kaliel slumped to the ground, his blood splashing across the vines. The warstrider stepped back, looking down at the still form.

“Test Subject Alpha Two-A insufficient for Necrostrider capacity. Terminating test subject.” The black blade came up.

“No.”

Ayama stepped forward, her own anima flaring into the image of two winged snakes over the symbol of the Unconquered Sun. Limned in blue and gold light, she looked defiantly at the Abyssal.

“I am not going to allow you to do that. I am not going to allow you to continue your existence.”

From somewhere off in the trees, there was a flash of light, and several golden arrows sailed through the air. They landed in a ring around Kaliel’s still form, burning away the vines, until Kaliel suddenly dropped down through a ragged hole.

Ayama and the warstrider regarded each other.

“Commencing Test Alpha Two-B.”

“Yes,” Ayama said, as she began stepping back toward the trees, “but we play by my rules.”

۞​

Zanka emerged from breakfast with Ramba, putting a little more sway into her hips than usual as she left. Once she was past the curtain, she heard the Solar merchant sigh, and a smile crossed her lips as she heard him mutter, “Next time.”

The Crowned Sun made her way up toward the temple district. On the way, she pulled the note that Pearl had slipped her. The message inside was simple; ‘Two days, sundown, your room’.

Finding a temple dedicated to Talespinner was not difficult, as he was one of the three ruling gods of the city. Zanka spent an hour or two observing the customary methods of prayer and worship directed toward the god, then set out to wander among the other temples, hoping to gather information and other news. She was quickly able to pick up several interesting pieces of news, including the rumor that one of the Fair Folk was in the city.

She was somewhat surprised when she came upon a large temple dedicated to the Unconquered Sun. The temple itself was devoid of worshipers, and only five priests in white robes embroidered with yellow thread were in attendance. The temple bore signs that although the few priests had done their best to maintain the shrine, the structure was in need of some repairs.

One of the priests quickly approached Zanka; the symbol of the Unconquered Sun on his robes was embroidered in gold thread rather than yellow. “Welcome, traveler,” the high priest said. “Welcome to our temple. Do you wish to offer a prayer to the Unconquered Sun?”

“I see that few come to visit here,” Zanka remarked. “Not many seek the Sun’s guidance?”

“The Sun is a distant and subtle god,” the high priest said. “And thus few appreciate his wisdom in allowing us to flourish on our own merits.”

“It is a pity,” Zanka said. “More worshippers would certainly help you keep his temple in better repair, though you have done an admirable job with so few.”

“We like to think that he looks down upon us every day, and he would not want to see his house of worship wanting.”

“Perhaps I might be able to convince a few to pay their respects,” Zanka said. “I can give your temple a glowing recommendation.”

“Your offer is appreciated,” the high priest said. “A few souls needing our help would be most gratifying.”

Smiling, Zanka patted the back of the man’s hand, and went out into the street. She went directly to the stone circle that sat just outside the temple; each temple had at least one such circle, and Zanka had learned that this was the customary place for those proselytizing for the respective gods would stand.

“People of Great Forks!” Zanka said, raising her arms skyward as she let her Essence flow into her words, though she was careful not to release so much that her caste mark illuminated. “I am but a humble traveler, a stranger to your city, but tales of this place have reached even the cold reaches of the North. I have always been told that this is a city that honors all gods, where people may worship freely as is proper, unconstrained by the restrictive views of any one particular order. Yet I stand here today with a heavy heart and a troubled soul. For here, behind me, I see a temple dedicated to the highest of the gods, the ruler of Heaven, one whose place among the gods should be undeniable amongst this community of the faithful. Yet my vision of his glory is obscured by the lamentable condition of this house of worship! Will I return to this city one day to find this evidence of neglect in the other temples of your city? Will Dreamweaver look down upon cracked marble columns? Will Talespinner’s parables echo in halls decorated in faded paint? Will Dayshield’s faithful be sheltered under a roof in need of tiles?” She paused, looking around at the crowd that had quickly gathered. “Show me, good people! Show me that you honor all the gods, from the greatest to the least! Show the Unconquered Sun that you honor him!”

Inside, the high priest busied himself with polishing the brass and gold fixtures around the shrine. He was dimly aware of a commotion outside; most likely some sort of celebration for one of the other gods. He paused in his work, thinking for a moment on the extraordinarily beautiful young Northern woman who had been in the temple. A few more like her here, he thought to himself with amusement, and we might actually have some real worshipers.

The noise from outside grew louder, and then one of the other priests rushed up to him. “Resplendent One!” she cried, “Come and see!”

Standing quickly, he rushed out to the main temple area, where he was astounded to see dozens of people crowded into the foyer. Some were bringing in tools and jars of paint, and working to restore the faded frescoes or smooth out uneven floor tiles.

Zanka stood at the front of the crowd, a smile on her face. “Will this be sufficient?”

۞​

Ghost caught up with Lear at the top of the stairs to the second level, where the Twilight was staring around in wonder. Looking around, Ghost could see why.

The room itself was circular, like the foyer below, but was much larger. The walls and ceiling were made of clear glass, with a large crystal prism suspended from the ceiling that amplified the sunlight coming in and spread it all around the room. Eight thin marble columns were arrayed around the outside of the room, dividing the walls into eight sections. Each column bore an engraved bas relief in the middle, alternating between a spider monkey rendered in gold, and a spider rendered in silver. The floor was tiled in the same marble as below, but lines of moonsilver ran between each tile, and a sorcerous diagram on the floor in one area had been embedded in the stone and filled with starmetal. The room was open, though the sections delineated by the columns were obviously devoted to different activities; a bedchamber sat across the room, a dining area was just to the right of the stairs, and Ghost could also see a workshop of some kind near the diagram in the floor, and a small dojo. A heavy layer of dust coated everything, showing that the upper level had been undisturbed for centuries. Looking out the windows at the city, Ghost realized that even though the stairs had seemed to only rise about thirty feet, the room they now stood in was almost two hundred feet in the air.

“Incredible,” Lear said. “The craftsmanship is simply breathtaking.”

“We seem to be the first to come here in a long time,” Ghost said. “Are there still defenses to concern ourselves with?”

“Er, yes,” Lear said, tearing his eyes off the panorama surrounding them. “One system is still active. The defenses based on Solar energies were in the lower levels, and were never activated – I suspect your presence has much to do with that, else we probably would not be standing here now. The fire lances were the Terrestrial defense system, which had been tied into the Solar energy grid of the manse – that is why your code was able to deactivate it. I suspect that up here we will encounter the Lunar’s defensive system.”

“The one created by this Revealing Whispers,” Ghost nodded. Having reflected on the name as he climbed his stairs, Ghost felt that this was not the name of his own previous incarnation; thus it had to be that of his Lunar partner.

“Indeed. Be cautious.”

Ghost began to move slowly into the room, circling to his right. He scanned the many objects he could see in the room. “It appears I had a number of different hobbies,” he said, looking at the diagram on the floor.

“Well, it seems proper that beings who live so long would pursue a variety of activities.”

“What do you mean?”

“The Dragon-Bloods live for centuries, as you know. It seems logical to assume that other Exalted would have similarly extended lifespans, if not even greater.”

Ghost thought for a minute. “I had not considered that.”

A flicker of movement caught Ghost’s eye, and in an instant his boomerangs were in his hand. Around the room, the four bas-relief silver spiders had detached themselves from the columns, and were now skittering across the floor, two going after each Solar.

Ghost dove to the side as two of the silver spider leapt at him, one jumping at his legs and the other going for his head. As he twisted to the side, he grabbed the back of a chair sitting nearby, and hurled it at the two spiders advancing on Lear. The chair struck them, but the spiders’ bodies simply flowed around the flying piece of furniture, reshaping as it sailed past. However, the move slowed the spiders’ advance long enough for Lear to bring his own defenses to bear. But it also cost Ghost, as he felt the fangs of one of the spiders scrape against his calf. He rolled away into the center of the room, dust flying everywhere as he sprung into a defensive posture. When he landed, however, he felt his knee buckle slightly. Looking down, Ghost gasped in alarm when he realized that it had not been his knee that had given way, but his shinbone. The spider guardian’s venom had softened the Nightbringer’s bones, rendering them soft and pliable.

Ghost lashed out with both of his boomerangs, whipping his arms around so hard that his forearms flexed slightly. The boomerangs shot through the air, one missing its mark but the other slicing across a spider’s thorax. Across the room, Lear reached up and grasped the air in front of his glowing caste mark, drawing a glowing blade of energy from midair. He slashed at the advancing spiders, not wounding them but keeping them at bay. He picked up the chair that Ghost had thrown in his other hand, using it as well as his weapon to ward off the spider’s attacks.

Ghost dashed across the room, keeping ahead of the shambling spider constructs despite the way his legs wobbled and twisted with each painful step. The Solar grew concerned as another attack with his boomerang was avoided by the spiders. He had used much of his inner reserves of Essence in defeating the defenses of the manse downstairs, and he had little left to mount a significant offensive. Ghost switched to a more defensive posture, keeping ahead of the spiders and focusing on keeping them off balance. He ran over to the laboratory area of the manse, picking up a tool that looked something like a large ladle, and then leapt over to one of the spiders, attempting to scoop it up and fling it against the far wall. The construct, however, simply flowed out of the cup and landed on the ground, forcing Ghost to jump away to avoid its poisoned fangs. He ended up clinging to the tail of one of the golden monkeys on a pillar, as the two spiders nipped at his boots.

“If we ever meet in person, Revealing Whispers,” Ghost growled, “we are going to have a serious discussion.”

Lear lunged at one of the spiders attacking him, managing to wound it. He looked across the room, and then suddenly dashed over to the bedchamber. He grabbed the corner of the coverlet, sending dust flying as he whipped it into the air and threw it over one of the advancing spiders. The small construct writhed as Lear gathered up the loose edges of the bedding, trapping the spider inside a makeshift sack. The Twilight smashed the enclosed spider against the bedpost, then tried unsuccessfully to stab it with his solar blade, struggling to keep it contained.

Seeing the wisdom in Lear’s approach, Ghost once again crossed the room, going back to the dining area where he had grabbed the chair. This time, however, he picked up one end of the large table, and with a grunt of exertion he lifted the heavy wooden object into the air and brought it smashing down on top of one of the spiders. Remarkably, the table did not shatter, landing with an echoing thud that shook the room. At first, the tactic appeared to have worked, but then the spider slowly oozed out from underneath. It jumped at Ghost, who deflected its attack by flipping a large metal bowl into the air with his foot, intercepting the construct in midair.

“This is not going well!” Ghost shouted at Lear. He looked over and saw that Lear was staring intently at the wriggling spider wrapped in the bedding.

“This one seems to be weakening!” he shouted. “I do not understand…” he cast a glance around at the marble floor, then his face brightened. “Of course! The moonsilver that lies between the tiles! It acts as a power matrix for these constructs!”

Lear and Ghost began moving quickly around the room, avoiding the attacks of the spiders while slowly replenishing their reserves of Essence. Lear cried out once when a spider managed to bite his hand, and struggled against the effects of the bone-warping venom, but managed to keep ahead of them otherwise. Eventually, they managed to maneuver the spiders into the center of the room, where Lear was able to envelop the rest of them into his makeshift sack. Ghost then carried the sack high up toward the ceiling, waiting until their struggles grew weak, and then reached into the sack and dropped them one by one to the floor, where Lear waited to slice them in half with his Essence blade.

Ghost jumped down, and sat down on the floor, panting from the exertion of the long battle. He cast a glance up at the golden spider monkeys on the pillars. “If those things start climbing down now,” he grumbled, “the Unconquered Sun can have his Exaltation back.”

Lear slowly walked back to the large bed. “This is why I came over here in the first place.” He flipped back a corner of the large rug with one foot, revealing a small hatch in the floor.

Ghost came over to examine the hatch. The door was flush with the floor, with no hinges visible. It was secured with a complex combination locking mechanism. Ghost removed his tools from his satchel, and began to work.

When the first tumbler fell into place, there was a flash of light and the overwhelming stench of blood. Two huge, demonic apes with red fur appeared in midair, claws and teeth bared. Ghost started to roll away to safety, but Lear caught his arm.

“Wait.” Lear looked at the two blood apes carefully, then laughed. “For once, the degradation of Denandsor’s defenses works in our favor. These demons have spent too long in stasis Elsewhere. They are frozen in time and space.”

Looking up, Ghost now realized that the two demon-apes had not moved since they had appeared. Laughing, Ghost returned to his work. A minute later, the last tumbler fell into place, and Ghost pulled the door open. Reflected golden light shone from the vault as it opened. At the same time, a beam of silvery light shot out from the underside of the hatch door, striking the central prism. From there it split into four beams that struck the spots on the columns where the four moonsilver spiders had been perched. The empty spaces in the columns filled with moonsilver, which flattened into four perfect mirrors that bounced the beams back to a focal point in the center of the large room. There they formed the translucent image of a handsome young man, whose black hair was tangled and matted with blood, and whose eyes were pure black as well. Seeing the image of this man, Ghost was filled with an inexplicable sense of longing, as though seeing a long-lost friend.

“Evanescent Shadow,” the figure said, in an archaic version of Old Tongue, “I do not know if you will ever see this message. I can only pray that one day your Exaltation will return to Creation, and reclaim it from the usurpers who have slain you. In the hope that you and your circle will one day accomplish on that far off day what I and my kind cannot do now, I have left you what small trinkets I could collect for your use. The greatest of your weapons are unfortunately beyond my reach. It is my wish that you return Creation to its glory, and remove the usurper Dragon-Bloods from their so-called seat of power. I go now to ensure that the spawn of the dragons will never lay eyes on this place. Until we meet again, my love.”

The image faded. Ghost, blinking back unexpected tears, looked at Lear.

“Revealing Whispers, I presume,” he said. Lear peered down into the vault in the floor. “Oh, my.” He looked up at Ghost. “I realize that this is terribly rude of me, especially since this is your home, but I wonder if I might take possession of one item in particular.”

“Of course,” Ghost said. “What do you want?”

“That.” Lear pointed at the vault door.

After the vault was emptied, which proved to contain several orichalcum artifacts, a large book, and a golden orb that Lear identified as the manse’s hearthstone, Lear carefully closed the door, and then gently used his Essence blade to slice along the line where the door met the marble tile. When he pulled it free, Ghost saw with amazement that it left the floor underneath smooth and unblemished, as though a large vault had never been there.

“Locks without hinges, key or lid, and golden treasure within is hid,” Lear said with a grin, as he carefully packed the vault door away. “What now?”

“I say we remain here,” Ghost said. “As long as we can before the city’s curse becomes too much to bear. This place is safe for us now, and we will need to recover our strength before we attempt to leave and avoid both the automated sentries and Lookshy’s patrols.” Ghost looked around the room, taking in the panoramic view, “and I wish to learn more about myself before I leave.”

Delemental

First Post
Ayama sailed backward, her back striking hard against the unyielding surface of an aspen tree whose trunk was as wide as the largest longhouse in Petgrana.

She grimaced as she got to her feet, feeling her shoulder joint grind uncomfortably. She had managed to absorb most of the blow, however, which would have cut a normal person in half. Looking around, she quickly cleared the cobwebs from her mind and began to climb.

The Zenith had lured the necromantic warstrider away from the Sea of Dead Vines and into the forest, staying just out of reach. She was playing a dangerous game, as even with the supernatural resilience she had been granted by the Unconquered Sun, she would not last long against the Abyssal horror that now stalked her through the trees.

She found the branch she wanted just as she felt the low rumble in the wood at her feet that told her that the warstrider had found her. It landed with a heavy thud as Ayama ran off onto one of the tree’s smaller branches, one that looked too small to support the mobile battlesuit’s weight. The dense foliage growing from the branch also prevented the warstrider from getting a clear line of sight and simply blasting her with necrotic Essence.

About halfway out, the branch started shaking violently. The warstrider had begun hacking at the limb with its blade, hoping to send this second Solar into the endless depths of the Eastern forest. Ayama took out a long coil of vines that she had snatched up before moving into the forest, and looped it around a protruding small branch as thick as her own leg. Looking around quickly to make sure she had judged correctly, Ayama grabbed the rope and rappelled down to a much larger branch-road below. She looked up and saw that the warstrider had hacked through most of the branch already, and another blow or two would snap it off.

She landed below, and then stood and watched as the warstrider leapt into the air and came down with a bone-shaking tremor. Face to face, with no intervening cover, the warstrider advanced on Ayama, its black blade reflecting the light that shone from Ayama’s anima.

When it was only a few steps away, Ayama smiled. “I knew I should not expect a fair fight from you,” she shouted up at the warstrider pilot. “That is why I did not make this a fair fight.”

She grabbed the vine in both hands and pulled with all her might. The large branch above them, weakened by the chopping of the warstrider, snapped apart with a resounding crack and came crashing down toward them. The warstrider, seeing the branch crashing down, turned and braced its feet for the impact; though the falling limb was large, it knew it could withstand the impact.

What it had not counted on was the fact that the place where Ayama had lured the Abyssal was the same place where she and Kaliel had battled the undead constructs, and the surface under the strider’s feet was slick with ichors and viscera.

The Warstrider tumbled as its feet flew out from under it, and it sailed off the large branch-road. Desperately, the huge armored suit flailed, and grasped the heavy bark at the branches’ edge. As it clung to the side, Ayama walked up and looked down at the warstrider in pity. Slowly, she wedged the toe of her boot between the warstrider’s bone and steel finger and the hard wood of the tree.

“Such is the fate of all who would poison Creation with their foulness,” she said to the Abyssal, and then she kicked down, breaking the warstrider’s grip. As it tumbled away into the yawning blackness below, she heard a mechanical voice echo up from the forest.

“Test Alpha Two-B, failed.”

Ayama took a moment to catch her breath, and make certain that none of her injuries were severe enough to incapacitate her once her adrenalin and Essence wore off. Then she began walking back to the Sea of Dead Vines.

She found Kaliel in the hole that he had fallen through, laying about twenty feet down on a lower substratum of vines. She gathered a large number of vines to fashion herself a harness and makeshift pulley, and lowered herself into the pit. It took some time, but Ayama was able to remove Kaliel’s heavy jade armor and haul it piece by piece out of the pit, before finally extracting Kaliel himself. By the time she finished, the sounds of battle in the forest had faded, and Standing Oak had returned to their side.

“It is finished.” He looked down at the grievously injured Kaliel as Ayama worked to stitch up his wounds and set bones.

“He will live,” Ayama said to the unspoken question.

Standing Oak then turned his attention to Ayama, and saw that not all of the blood on her clothing was Kaliel’s. “Do you require healing?” he asked.

“Yes, I do,” groaned Kaliel weakly. “I would think that was obvious.”

“I was not speaking to you,” Standing Oak said curtly.

“I will be fine,” Ayama said.

Standing Oak looked around the Sea of Dead Vines. “Armies of the walking dead are one thing,” he commented, “but a necromantic warstrider is beyond what we had anticipated. I must report this occurrence.”

Ayama chose not to ask who we would be reporting to. “Do you know how they are able to create these areas of death?” she asked.

He shook his head. “Such knowledge is not in my possession. But there are others who may have this knowledge.”

“I would greatly appreciate any insight into the matter,” Ayama said. “My home is the village of Petgrana, three weeks to the west. My son, Rutendo, is our village’s war leader. If you learn anything, please have someone bring that information to the village. Tell the forest god Sunlight Pierces the Canopy that you bear a message for Ayama.”

“The Divine Gift to End Suffering,” Standing Oak said, and for the first time since they had net there was the hint of a smile on Standing Oak’s face. “I have heard of you. This will be done.”

Ayama pulled a scroll out of her pack, and handed it to the Sword of Heaven. “This is the cure for the plague that had infected the Panther tribe, which I believe originated from this place. There are also instructions for how to create the medicine that will cure a god who is infected. I trust you will deliver this to those who can make use of it.”

“Of course. Do you require supplies?”

“No, thank you.” She looked down at Kaliel. “I have a feeling that I will need to perform this task for Kaliel many more times in the future. I should become practiced in performing that duty without outside aid.” She thought for a moment. “Perhaps it is time that I meditated upon the Unconquered Sun and developed further insight into my methods of healing.”

“Fare well, Ayama,” Standing Oak said. “Until we meet again.” A moment later, he was gone.

Once she was convinced he was stabilized and able to be moved safely, Ayama set about constructing a travois with sturdy branches and vines. She groaned as she settled the weight of Kaliel’s bulk and his jade armor onto the makeshift harness she had built, comforting herself with the knowledge that she did not have to carry him far.

She walked for a few hours, until she was well out of the region of corruption that marked the Sea of Dead Vines. There, she made camp, and after making sure Kaliel was resting comfortably, she sat quietly, sipping hot tea, until the large Northern warrior began to stir.

“You are awake,” Ayama said. “I urge you to remain still, however. The stitching is still fresh and could tear. You will be able to walk tomorrow, though slowly. You will not be able to don your armor again for several days, and if you attempt to do so, I will throw it off the side of this tree. Do I make myself clear?”

Kaliel nodded. “I thought that the Unconquered Sun had granted you the power to ease the pain of wounds,” he said softly.

“He has,” she replied, “but if I were to do so, then you would learn nothing.” She set down her tea. “Speaking of lessons, I believe that you and I should talk about your battle against the warstrider.”

“I was more fatigued than I realized,” he said. “Much of my energy was expended in my battle with that woman.” He turned his head to look at Ayama. “Have you ever heard of an Exalt who bears a caste mark like ours, but instead of golden light is formed from a bleeding wound? This woman, Nine Wounds Laughing, bore a mark very much like Ghost’s.”

Ayama frowned. “I have not.”

“I think I knew her… before,” Kaliel said.

“This is a subject for another day,” Ayama said sternly. “We must talk.”

“What can you possibly have to talk to me about?”

“I believe it is time that we put some attention toward strengthening your connection to the Unconquered Sun,” Ayama said. “As your bond with him deepens, you will find it easier to sustain yourself for extended periods.”

“I see.” Kaliel contemplated for a moment. “Very well. When do we begin?”

“We begin now,” Ayama said. “I suspect you will have to become very proficient in being able to maintain your focus through pain.”

۞​

Zanka woke with a start. The room she was in was dark, with only the light of a few oil lamps reflecting off the surface of the cool bath she was submerged in. This was slightly disorienting to the Eclipse, as it had been late afternoon when she cajoled her way into the upscale bathhouse on the arm of an elderly man who was only too happy to be seen in public with such a lovely young devotee. Fortunately for Zanka, once inside the man had indicated that he was here to visit his ‘nephew’, and so she had not needed to talk the man out of any expectations he might have.

Zanka became aware of a presence in the room. Looking across the large pool, she saw Pearlescent Lotus Whispers, who was submerged much as Zanka was.

“I feared that you were not coming,” Pearl said. “But when I realized where you were, I understood. I know how the city can be in summer, and you have been very busy today.”

Zanka nodded, for once words failing her as she oriented herself to the situation. After her rallying of the people to the temple of the Unconquered Sun yesterday, she had awoken this morning early in order to visit the temple again, not only to encourage the workers in their tasks, but to offer a prayer to the Unconquered Sun asking for his blessing. She had then gone to the Palace of the Three along with the shamans from Petgrana, and after gathering a large crowd of Talespinner’s worshippers and convincing them to support her, she had supplicated the god directly. She had formulated her prayer as a story about a humble woman from a village that was beset by invaders suffering from a strange plague that had infected both them and their god, making sure to emphasize the many similarities between this plague and the Great Contagion, as well as the suspicions of its connection with shadowlands and Deathlords. The story told how the woman had cleverly devised a cure for this disease, healing the invaders and their god and bringing peace. She concluded by telling how the woman realized that all of Creation needed to know how to defeat this terrible disease, and so had asked her friend from the North to come to Great Forks and seek an audience with the great Spinner of Glorious Tales, who they knew would be the best to carry the tale of this plague and its cure to all the gods of Creation and Heaven. The prayer had been carefully crafted to include elements that Zanka knew would appeal to Talespinner; allusions to his own mortal origins and his role in the founding of Great Forks, appeals to both his love of tales and the dread that all living things held about the Great Contagion, and a healthy dose of flattery.

Her success had been beyond expectations, for the god Talespinner manifested in the flesh to greet Zanka. From there, it had been a simple matter to have the shamans present what they knew, and to negotiate with the god that he would make his best effort to ensure the information of the disease and its cure would be spread to as many gods as possible. The bargain sealed with the power of an Eclipse oathbond, Zanka had departed the temple, surrounded by hundreds of joyful supplicants shouting their thanks to her for the holy experience they had shared.

After that, Zanka had decided that the early summer heat of the city was becoming too much to bear, and so had made her plans to gain access to the city’s most exclusive private bathhouse. Clearly, she had drifted off. Now, looking across at Pearl, she remembered the note the courtesan had given her, and that she was supposed to have met Pearl at sundown today.

“Shall we have our conversation here, or meet elsewhere?” Zanka asked.

“I have seen to it that we will not be disturbed here,” Pearl replied. “My dear Zanka, there are some things to will need to learn in order to survive in this world. Some lessons will be easy, others difficult; some are even potentially fatal. But some things you can learn may be what would be considered ‘lost knowledge’.”

“That would mean less of a possibility that others would decipher your actions,” Zanka observed.

“This is correct. There are many things I have learned in my life. We courtesans are often called upon to defend ourselves.” She smiled wryly, “But unlike some, we cannot walk about clad in jade armor or festooned with weaponry. Our weapons must be subtle and innocuous; sleeves and sashes, hairpins and fans.”

“I take it, then, that you are offering to teach me these techniques?”

Pearl looked around. “This seems to be as good a venue as any in which to begin.” She rose, and stepped out of the pool. The courtesan rose gracefully from the water, with no hint of discomfort in her nudity, but clearly not flaunting it either. Still, Zanka had to admit as she studied the woman, she could appreciate why Pearl invoked such strong desires in others, even if she herself was not inclined toward female companionship.

Zanka came out of the pool as well, somewhat less gracefully as she had been sitting in the cool water for some time. She stood facing Pearl, lamplight reflecting from her pale skin, and the goose-bumps that had appeared there had nothing to do with being cold.

“Are you ready?” Pearl asked.

“I am not sure,” Zanka said, “Do I…”

“Too bad,” Pearl said, and rushed forward.

Hours later, Zanka found herself sprawled on the floor, exhausted and sore, as Pearl stood across the room, dressing herself. Zanka rose, wincing, and went to retrieve her own clothing. She noted that although Pearl had left her with several bruises, none were in places that would show.

“You did well for your first day,” Pearl commented. “You very nearly struck me on one occasion.”

“I am accustomed to a somewhat more gentle master,” Zanka commented. Pearl smiled at this.

“Ayama has a kind heart.” Pearl finished dressing, and stood; she looked as though she had just finished preparing for a formal reception, rather than having just engaged in hours of brutal martial arts training. “This is your introduction to the style known as Dreaming Pearl Courtesan. I will make arrangements for the location of our next lesson. I trust you are remaining in Great Forks for a time?”

“Now that my mission is complete, I have no pressing concerns, though I came here with two shamans who are most decidedly uncomfortable in such a large city.”

“I can arrange for them to be returned to their home,” Pearl said. “We will also need to secure new lodgings for you.” She thought for a moment. “It would be convenient for you to be close at hand. Would you feel comfortable in playing the role of one of my clients?”

“I… I believe I can do that, but…”

Pearl rested a reassuring hand on Zanka’s arm. “You need only play the role to justify staying with me for an extended period, Zanka. I am aware that your tastes do not run in that direction. You could not afford my services, anyway.”

“Of course,” Zanka said. “Forgive me, I was being foolish.”

“I understand,” Pearl said, taking Zanka by the arm. “But I think you will be pleased by this arrangement. The inn where I am staying is much more opulent than where you have been. And believe me, once word gets out that Zanka Odokari has retained the services of Quon Qi Xi, your reputation will undoubtedly be elevated.”

۞​

Ghost sat in his camp, the large tome he had extracted from the vault in his manse resting on his lap. He felt he could truly call it ‘his’ manse now; he and Lear had spent a few hours inside, collecting various treasures while recuperating from their battle. They had continued to suffer the relentless mental assault of Denandsor’s curse, but just before they had reached the point where they could bear it no longer, Ghost suddenly felt the mystical bond to the manse coalesce, and felt a sudden surge of power as the manse channeled Essence into his soul.

They had made it back to Lear’s camp, avoiding a Lookshy patrol along the way. Lear had packed his collected treasures inside the magical vault, which turned out to be an artifact that opened to a space within Elsewhere, and had parted ways with Ghost so that he could continue his exploration of the city. Ghost had withdrawn from the forest surrounding Denandsor, wanting to give himself a chance to recover from the effects of the curse, and to study the treasures left him by Revealing Whispers without risk of discovery.

He had finally come to the book, which a cursory glance had told him was a journal of some kind. The author of the journal was Evanescent Shadow, and contained far more pages than the size of the book had led him to believe, as each page was made from a material that was incredibly thin yet far more durable than even the finest parchment.

He opened the book to the first page and read.

I have been gifted with this journal by Amyana, who expressed her regret that she could not attend the celebration. I found it touching that she remembered the anniversary of my Second Breath; since her own Exaltation occurred over three thousand years ago, I would not think she would find a mere twelve hundred years notable. Still, she has always been the most sentimental of our circle. Out of respect for that, I will honor her gift by recording my thoughts and deeds for posterity.

Ghost paused, contemplating the words. Twelve hundred years? Three thousand? Lear’s suspicions about the lifespan of the Exalted appeared to be far more extensive than he had realized. Ghost found it difficult to conceive of living that long.

Curious, he flipped to a random page near the back of the book, wanting to know what kind of interests a person who had lived for tens of centuries might hold. He began to read the dense, elegant script. Over the course of several minutes, the color began to drain from his face. Suddenly, he slammed the journal shut.

“Dear gods,” he whispered, “no.”

Found this story a little while ago, and I've been reading through it when I got the chance - and now I'm caught right up to the present.

It's fantastic stuff, Delemental - a great story and great writing.

I know next to nothing about Exalted (other than it gets a lot of love on rpgnet), but I must say this has got me really intrigued in the setting.

I'm certainly looking forward to further instalments.

Delemental

First Post
This update's going to be a big longish - my apologies for that, but there's really no good dividing point to break it up.

-------------------------------

Zanka was the first to return to Petgrana, spending an additional week in Great Forks under the tutelage of Pearlescent Lotus Whispers. When she returned she continued practicing, though her progress was limited due to the lack of a sparring partner of sufficient skill. She therefore ended up spending the majority of her time in the ice house, as summer was quickly reaching its peak and the heat was nearly unbearable to the Northerner. She did spend some time in the company of Sunlight Pierces the Canopy, but chose not to renew their physical relationship; the forest god, for his part, expressed that he was available to her should she change her mind, but did not seem particularly surprised or bothered by her change of heart.

Ayama and Kaliel returned a month after Zanka, and two months after they had set off East. After exchanging tales of their experiences, the three Solars quickly settled into a routine; mornings found Ayama and Kaliel in meditation, as the Zenith guided the Dawn in techniques to strengthen his bond with the Unconquered Sun and his control over his Essence. Afternoons were devoted to attending to the needs of the town and assisting Rutendo in training the citizens in self-defense. In the early evening, after the sun had set and the air had cooled a little, Zanka sparred with Ayama. At all times, of course, they awaited the return of the fourth member of their circle.

Days became weeks. Early summer became mid-summer. The month of Resplendent Fire ended, and Descending Fire fell upon them. No one spoke of it, but the message in the glances they gave each other in passing was clear; Calibration would fall upon them soon, and Ghost was nowhere to be seen.

It was midway through Resplendent Fire, almost four months since he had departed, when Resplendent Ghost of Midnight walked through the gates of Petgrana. It was late in the afternoon, and the skies above were dark and gray as a summer thunderstorm threatened to break overhead. He carried a large bundle across his back, and the clothing he wore was different; similar in style to what he had worn when he left, but of a slightly better quality. But when Ayama, Zanka, and Kaliel came out to greet him, they could all see the greatest difference of all.

Ghost was not smiling.

“You look well,” Ayama said, looking him over. “I assume you have met with some fortune in your travels?”

“Yes,” he replied. “Forgive my late return, but I chose to take a more circuitous route back here. There were matters I needed to attend to in many places throughout the East, and it is not good to try and fence all of your goods in one location.”

“I take it that you made good use of my map, then?” Zanka asked.

Ghost looked at her for a moment, and then closed his eyes. He turned to Ayama as they opened again. “We must talk. Your home is most private.”

“Of course,” Ayama said. “I believe that my son has concluded his drills for the afternoon. He can join us in a few…”

“No.”

Ayama, already walking toward her house, turned around again to regard the Dagger of Heaven. “I am sorry?”

“My words are not for his ears. Only the three of you.”

Ayama frowned. “I do not keep secrets from my son.”

Ghost walked past her, heading for Ayama’s house. “You have not heard what it is I have to say.”

۞​

They sat around Ayama’s table, kneeling on soft cushions. Ayama had brought food and cool drinks, which had been consumed in silence. Outside, the storm was within minutes of breaking, and in the stillness inside they could all hear clearly the wind rushing through the trees, punctuated by the occasional flash of lightning and crack of thunder. Now they waited for Ghost to speak.

“First,” he said at last, standing up, “I have gifts for you.” He crossed to where he had set down his bundle, and unwrapped it. Even in the dim light of the house, the glow reflected off the orichalcum filled the room.

“I had the good fortune of finding a manse that belonged to my previous incarnation,” he explained as he worked. “It had lain undisturbed since before the Shogunate. It was there that I found these items, which had been left for our future incarnations – us – for use in restoring Creation’s glory. They were left by my mate, a Lunar named Revealing Whispers.”

Ghost turned and laid a golden blade on the table, nearly five feet in length, with the hilt facing Kaliel. The weapon was built with simple, straight lines, without ornamentation or a single unnecessary detail.

“This daiklave had no name that I could determine,” he said. “A Twilight Solar named Lear, who I met during my expedition to Denandsor, tells me that the design of the weapon is unusual, as most weapons of the First Age were crafted as works of art as much as implements of war. He suspects it was built in great haste with only functionality in mind, though it is of no lesser quality for it. I have chosen to call it Principle of Severity. This seems most appropriate in your hands, Kaliel. I know you bear a weapon already, and if you find your tetsubo more suited to your style of combat, I will take no offense.”

He then withdrew a golden set of bracers from his bundle, along with a foot-long bamboo tube, which was painted red on one end and blue on the other. “These are known as hearthstone bracers,” he said. “Their main purpose is to bear a manse’s hearthstone, granting the owner of the manse its powers.” Ghost pulled back his sleeves, revealing a matching set of bracers on his forearms, though his bore an egg-sized golden sphere mounted on the back of his left forearm. “Even without a hearthstone, however, the bracers will enhance the wearer’s ability to avoid your enemies’ attacks, and to strike them back with great power.”

“The bamboo is an artifact known as Harmony of Purpose. It provides a variety of functions; it can be used as a flute, as a breathing tube underwater, and can protect you from the effects of poisons in the air or water. It can be used in battle as a baton, or extended to become a staff. It can also be used as a blowgun, and draws upon one’s Essence to create darts which bear poison; the blue end produces a sleeping draught, the red a deadly venom. Finally, the item itself masks its own aura, making its nature as an item of power nearly impossible to discern to those with the ability of Essence sight.”

Ghost looked at Ayama and Zanka. “In truth, each of these items would have benefit to both of you. In my opinion, the bracers would suit Zanka more, as I hold hope that if she were able to hit harder, she might actually stop avoiding battles. I leave it to you to make your choice.”

Zanka ignored the slight, instead exchanging a look with Ayama, a silent agreement that the disposition of these two artifacts was a matter for another time.

“There is also this.” Ghost laid a large shuriken on the table, about a foot across. “I found two of these weapons, which are known as typhoon wheels; a matched pair known as the Eyes of Mars. I have already claimed the Left Eye of Mars; this is the Right Eye. I would have claimed both, but I find that I have already had to devote a significant portion of my Essence to empower the artifacts I have. Perhaps one day, should my command of Essence improve, I will claim this; until then, if someone else wishes to make use of it, you may.”

“Given your success, Ghost,” Kaliel asked, “it seems that a more thorough exploration of Denandsor is called for.”

“Not yet,” Ghost warned. “I was extremely fortunate; I came across my manse very quickly during my first venture into the city. The curse that surrounds that city is both intense and unrelenting. Although I have learned that Solars are more resistant to the curse’s effects than other beings, it still took everything I had to remain inside the walls for less than three hours. Another moment and it would have broken me. The only thing that kept me from fleeing long before that was my desire that Creation knows that Resplendent Ghost of Midnight successfully entered the cursed city of Denandsor and returned with wonders. Had it not been so important to me, I would not have made it past the gate. No, Kaliel, we are not ready yet. For now, these gifts will have to do.”

“Your gifts are appreciated, Ghost,” Ayama said, “but they do not explain your melancholy.”

“I was able to retrieve one additional item from the vault in my manse,” Ghost said. He opened the satchel at his side, and withdrew a large book, bound in black leather. The book was secured with a gold-plated clasp, with no apparent way to unfasten it, other than a small circle imprinted in the gold. Ghost withdrew an orichalcum signet ring from a pocket, slipping it on and then pressing the signet into the indentation. The claps sprang open, and Ghost pocketed the ring.

“I should caution you not to try open this yourselves,” Ghost said. “It is enchanted to obliterate all the writing if anyone other than myself tries to unlock it.”

“What does the book contain?” Zanka asked.

“It is a journal,” he replied. “My journal. Or rather, that of my previous incarnation, Evanescent Shadow. It is an accounting of a period of roughly five hundred years prior to the Usurpation, when the Dragon-Bloods rose up and overthrew the Solars.”

“Five hundred years?” Kaliel asked incredulously. His wonder stemmed not only from disbelief that one book could contain so much information, but the realization that the Terrestrial Exalts usually did not live past three hundred, and even the eldest of Dragon-Bloods rarely surpassed five hundred years.

Ghost held up his hand to silence the questions already forming on the lips of the others. “The journal was a gift, given to Evanescent Shadow by her Zenith circle-mate, Queen Amyana, who I believe was your former incarnation,” he nodded at Ayama. “The occasion was a celebration of the twelve hundredth anniversary of Evanescent Shadow’s Exaltation. The comment made in the first entry is amusement at the fact that Amyana would even consider 1,200 years notable, given that she herself had lived for well over three thousand.”

Thunder rumbled outside as the four Solars absorbed the implications of that fact. “My reading has led me to believe that all of you had been alive since the war against the Primordials, if not earlier, though it is apparently difficult to know much for certain about what may have occurred during that war. I appear to be the only one who had more than one incarnation; my first was a man from Hollow, who was assassinated during a period of upheaval; after he died, my Exaltation passed to a young woman from Rathess, who took up his duties.”

“You were a woman?” Zanka asked.

“Why should the Exaltation choose one gender over another?” Ayama asked.

“You were once Queen Amyana, as I have said before,” Ghost said to Ayama. “She ruled a vast artificial floating city in the West, and had entered into a political marriage with another Solar, an admiral named Arkadi. There is some allusion in the journal that she spent a great amount of time with Arkadi’s Lunar mate, Leviathan, and suspicions it was not all for political reasons. She was described as a very compassionate woman.”

He turned to Kaliel. “You were once Invincible Shield of Faith, a great Southern general and a skilled warstrider pilot. The journal notes that he was responsible for many advances in warstrider technology, and that his personal craft was powered by some device known as a ‘reality engine’, which quite literally made him as invincible as his name suggests.”

“You, Zanka, were once Minka Uluru, the Alabaster Sentinel. She ruled a large city far to the North named Yarchei, in a part of Creation that I am not certain still exists. She apparently was opposed to some sort of military exercise the Solar Deliberative approved called Operation Wyldhand, which was held in the lands where her city was found. The journal speak of the land being changed, though it is not specific, and to how the Alabaster Sentinel and her Lunar mate Shim Kith withdrew from the Deliberative in protest and became increasingly isolated in Yarchei; then, about two hundred years after this Operation Wyldhand, the entire city apparently vanished, and its ruler was never seen again.”

“Finally, I can confirm that the Twilight of our circle was Kal Bax. It seems that we saw little of him, however, as he was focused on his research, particularly in the field of manse construction. There is mention of him working on some new type of manse just prior to the Usurpation.”

“Does the journal mention how we were defeated?” Kaliel asked. “If I was invincible, then it would seem illogical that I would have died.”

“There is nothing to indicate what happened during the Usurpation. It must have been a quick, decisive uprising, which was unusually well-planned and well-hidden from us by the Terrestrials. The final entry in the journal speaks only of going to meet a contact.”

“I find myself disturbed by some of the implications of what you have learned,” Ayama said, “but it is not enough to explain why you are so troubled, Ghost.”

The Nightbringer sighed heavily, and sat down at the table, head cradled in his hands. “The journal goes in to great detail about the various interests and projects that Evanescent Shadow had, as well as those of her circle-mates and a great number of other Solars. The things they describe doing, the theories they expound upon, the powers they wielded… they defy my very ability to even imagine them, let alone comprehend them. And early in the book, my reaction is purely of awe. As the centuries pass, however, the feats described remain just as awesome , if not more so, but…” He paused for a moment, struggling to find the words he needed. Finally, he flipped open the book to a page near the end, and slid the book over to Ayama.

She perused the book carefully. The pages were impossibly thin, thinner than the hair of a newborn child, yet seemed more durable than even fine silk. The writing inside was in an archaic form of Old Tongue, densely written, yet had not faded in the slightest. She chose a paragraph at random, and read aloud.

“It says, ‘The Deliberative has approved my proposal, and have selected the city of Tamar-Kas as the test site. Initial estimates by Twilight engineers estimate the implosion of the reality engine will cover a two hundred mile radius, which will easily cover the city and environs. Projections indicate that 94% of the populace will undergo immediate and tactically significant Wyld mutation; of those only 27% will prove instantly fatal, and an additional 34% will develop incapacitating mutations. This will still provide us with a viably mutated population of over 8.7 million. Initial plans are to leave the test site undisturbed for a period of five years in order to observe patterns of expansion, prior to implementing second phase. This should prove to be an excellent training exercise for our legions in suppression of Wyld-tainted regions.’”

Ayama paused, and then flipped over the page. “‘My Circle has just returned from our retreat to Malfeas; even Kal Bax came, though of course Minka never even responded to our messenger spirits. I must remember to send something to Bright Shattered Ice in appreciation for the invitation. I cannot remember when I last enjoyed myself so thoroughly.’” She turned a few more pages, though clearly she did not relish doing so. “‘I assisted Gold-Shadowed Arrow with his interrogation of Bara-Thun, a Zenith accused of infernalism. Of course, out of respect for a fellow Solar, we chose to forego the usual procedures of physical disfigurement or exposure of the mind to Wyld energies, in favor of more indirect methods of persuasion. Unfortunately, forcing him to witness the repeated violation of his Lunar mate and his most loyal Terrestrial retainers proved to have little effect – I so dislike putting such effort into the task only to have it fail. Gold-Shadowed Arrow suggests that tomorrow we break the will of Bara-Thun’s mate and compel her to perform the interrogation. I am in agreement, and am anxious to see the results.’”

“Was this woman insane?” Zanka cried out.

“She writes as though the things she describes are not at all unusual or extreme,” Ghost said sadly. “If it were her and her alone, then I would expect that the other Solars would have discovered it and slain her. But Evanescent Shadow describes the activities of other Solars as well, and they are just as horrific, if not more so.”

“I cannot believe it,” Kaliel said.

Ghost turned to the Dawn. “At one point Invincible Shield of Faith was experimenting to see if he could harness the power created by the separation of the hun and po souls of a mortal at the moment of death, and channel that into his warstrider – literally making himself more powerful the more people he killed. He never concluded the experiment, but I leave it to your imagination how he tested his theories.”

“Look upon it this way,” Ayama said, closing the book and pushing it away from her slowly, “What if all of the things that have been said by the Dragon-Bloods about the ‘Anathema’ are not a total fabrication? What if there is a grain of truth to the horror stories they tell? What if in some crazed, decadent past, we created the very ammunition they use against us now? I do not want to believe it, but the logic is there.”

“I do not like to think that I am capable of such things,” Ghost said miserably.

“Evanescent Shadow was capable of such things,” Ayama said. “That does not mean that Resplendent Ghost of Midnight is.”

“I want to believe that, and I can tell you that today I know I am nothing like how she was at the end. But at the beginning, she was not so different from me in her outlook on the world we live in. And many of the projects she ended up pursuing, the ones that became horrors, were ones that she had resumed from her previous incarnation.”

“But if we measure our lives in terms of millennia,” Zanka said, “then there is no way to predict how you might think and act so far in the future.”

“That is exactly my point!” Ghost shouted. “What if this slide into madness is inevitable? I cannot even begin to understand how a mind that ancient would work! Unconquered Sun help me, I started practicing necromancy because I thought it was ‘an intriguing development on sorcerous theory’!”

“Not you, she,” Ayama corrected.

“I think that what disturbs me the most,” Ghost said, “is that even as horrific as these things are, they are still…”

“Fascinating,” Zanka concluded.

“This is all well and good,” Kaliel said. “But it does not change what we have today. What we are today. What we can do today. Obviously, as insane as our previous incarnations may have been, the Dragon-Bloods are doing no better. What is that much different between slaughtering millions as a military training exercise, and manipulating nations to war against each other simply so they cannot rise up against the Realm? At least the Solars had the power to repair the damage they caused if they wished. We have been Chosen by the Unconquered Sun; we have an obligation to return Creation to what it once was. No one is ever reincarnated in the same way twice; but even if we return to what we were then, it is better than what we have today!”

Kaliel slammed his open hand down on the table. The house shook as thunder crashed outside.

“I hear your words, Kaliel,” Ghost said, “and I wish to believe them. I may be able to do that, given time. But my sense of my self has been shaken, and I will need time to see how that affects me. Things which once seemed important to me I now question; things I once dismissed as irrelevant now hold my attention.”

“Do you think the Unconquered Sun would have Chosen you if your were not capable?”

“The question is, capable of what?”

“Of being the best.”

Zanka moved around the table and sat next to Ghost, resting her hand on his arm. “Think of this journal not as a horoscope that predicts your future, but as a signpost warning you of the dangers that lay ahead. I suspect that there was no one in Creation who ever came to Evanescent Shadow to warn her of what she might become.”

Ghost said nothing for a while. Then he chuckled. “If it is any consolation to you, there is no indication that I ever had sexual relations with any of my Circle-mates, though I cannot vouch for the activities of my first incarnation.”

It was a needed moment of levity, and everyone chuckled, though perhaps for just a moment too long.

“I did also get a chance to see my Lunar mate, Revealing Whispers,” Ghost said, “or at least a projected image of him. It was he who left these items for us in the manse, and laid the protections so they would not be disturbed. He was… very handsome.”

“I would hope so,” Zanka said. “I cannot imagine living for millennia looking ugly.”

“You may rest easy then, Zanka,” Ghost said. “Nothing I read hinted at any noticeable signs of aging among the Solars or Lunars, until they reached nearly the end of their natural lifespans.”

Ayama, who had risen from the table after reading from the journal and was now pacing a slow circuit around the room, now paused. “I am confused by one thing. You have made mention of ‘Lunar mates’ more than once. Yet you say I was married to a Solar, and possibly involved with that Solar’s mate. The nature of the relationship eludes me.”

“From what I can infer,” Ghost said, “Each of the three hundred Lunars was bonded to one of the three hundred Solars in Creation. This was a mystical, spiritual bond, a sort of compulsion to seek the one you were bonded with. However, it did not seem to necessarily influence the nature of how any particular mated pair related. Many seem to have acted much as you would expect ‘mates’ to be; they were devoted to each other and developed genuine love. Others had relationships that were more like close friends than lovers; it seems that my relationship with Revealing Whispers was like this. We worked well together, and occasionally shared a bed, but both pursued other partners. Some Solar and Lunar pairs even despised each other, and only came together when it was absolutely necessary. As for you, it seems that while Queen Amyana was friendly enough with her bonded mate Red Coral Manta, they had no romantic chemistry. Arkadi, on the other hand, had been happily married to his Lunar mate, until she was killed and reincarnated into the man called Leviathan . Arkadi was apparently not inclined to homosexual relationships, and while he still served as Leviathan’s mentor, there was no romance. Amyana and Arkadi were certainly not described as unhappy with one another, but it was clear that she spent far more time with Leviathan than with her Solar husband. Evanescent Shadow had definite opinions about what transpired between Amyana and Leviathan, but nothing is certain.” Ghost turned to Kaliel and Zanka. “I know less about your Lunar mates, simply because those relationships were less interesting to Evanescent Shadow and thus were infrequently mentioned in the journal. The Alabaster Sentinel’s mate Shim Kith apparently helped her rule her city, while Invincible Shield of Faith’s Lunar mate Walks on Water worked with him on warstrider advances.”

“Did the journal ever mention a kind of Solar from the Night Caste whose caste mark was formed from a bleeding bruise?” Kaliel asked.

“No, there was nothing like that.”

“Any mention of Invincible Shield of Faith working closely with or being involved with one of the Iron Wolves?”

Ghost shook his head. “Of course, by our nature, if there was something a Nightbringer was doing that they did not want known, it would not be known. Why do you ask?”

Kaliel frowned. He felt the injuries inflicted by Nine Wounds Laughing burn slightly, a not entirely unpleasant sensation. “That is a subject for tomorrow, perhaps.”

“There is another thing I must warn you all about,” Ghost said. “As you may imagine, each of us developed our share of enemies. Some of those enemies are gods, who are still around to this very day, and may well recognize us in our new incarnations. Back then, we were clearly superior to the gods of both Yu-Shan and Creation, save for possibly the Incarnae themselves. Now, however, they may have the upper hand, as well as the advantage of us being unaware of their intentions. The possibility is strong that we could end up facing enemies who oppose us based on events from three thousand years ago.”

“We face that now,” Kaliel said. “The Wyld Hunt pursues us as a continuation of their betrayal thirteen hundred years ago.”

“But we are aware the Wyld Hunt exists, and their intentions,” Ghost argued. “We may not even know who all our enemies are.”

“We may not know who is in the Wyld Hunt,” Kaliel retorted. “I am still not convinced that your tutor, Pearl, is not affiliated with them.”

“That is preposterous,” Ghost said. “She has done nothing to suggest that.”

“She led us to Lenn at the moment of his Exaltation,” Kaliel said. “She has shown up in many places we are going, as though able to track our movements. She is now training Zanka in a form of martial arts I had never heard of before, and it is known that the Immaculate Order practices many styles.”

“The Wyld Hunt exists to destroy Anathema,” Ghost snapped. “Why would she train Zanka if she wants us dead? The Hunt does not engage in elaborate games with the Anathema toward some grand goal; they kill us as soon as they can. If Pearl was with the Hunt, she would have cut my throat the day I Exalted, when I knew nothing of what was going on.”

“There is still more to her than I like,” Kaliel grumbled. “She should not be able to predict events the way she does.”

“To my knowledge,” Ayama interrupted, “the ability to predict the future with such accuracy through various divinatory methods is extremely difficult, but not impossible. But it does us little good to speculate on Pearl’s nature based on this alleged ability she possesses. She could be a Dragon-Blooded astrologer working for the Wyld Hunt. She could also be a God-Blood, or even a full god. She could be a Lunar or even a Solar. She could be a demon of some sort. She could be exactly what she appears, but have powerful allies.”

“The point is, this argument has no purpose,” Zanka said. “It is obvious that we will see Pearl again, likely soon. We can ask questions of her then if we wish, though she could well refuse to answer or even refuse our company, and I would very much like to complete my training.”

“Since the conversation has turned to the subject of allies and enemies,” Ayama said, “perhaps we should share our own recent travels with Ghost, so he will know what we have learned.”

They spent the next hour giving Ghost the stories about the journey to the East, the Sea of Dead Vines, and their encounters with Standing Oak, Nine Wounds Laughing, and the necromantic warstrider. Zanka shared her own story of the journey with Ramba, her performances at the temples of the Unconquered Sun and Talespinner, and her training with Pearlescent Lotus Whispers in the Dreaming Pearl Courtesan style. Kaliel again voiced his misgivings about Pearl; Ayama tried to refute him logically, but he was unconvinced.

“I am an old soldier,” he said. “Old soldiers are paranoid.”

“And you are going to get a lot older,” Zanka chided.

Ayama paused. “That is an interesting point,” she said. “Our preconceived notions of the effects of age are going to be radically altered.”

“I will probably not have to worry about training a successor to the Knights,” Kaliel mused. But then he grew somber. “But I will have to train someone to take Brusk’s place when he dies.”

“You will outlive your sisters,” Ayama pointed out. “And their children.” Her face slowly paled. “And their children’s children. I will outlive my son.”

Ghost nodded sadly. This was a conclusion he had reached some weeks ago. It was the primary reason that he had not wanted Rutendo present.

“I am going to go for a walk,” Ayama said. She opened the door, and walked outside. Moments later, the rains came.

۞​

Ayama did not return that night. The rest of the circle, with much to ponder, went their separate ways as well. The storm spent its fury in the night, and thus the skies were clear by the time the first hints of dawn appeared. Kaliel was already outside, with Principle of Severity in his hand. He was beginning to take a few swings with the weapon, trying to decide whether or not he preferred the smaller, lighter weapon to his tetsubo.

His routine was interrupted by the sound of a throat clearing. He turned to see Ayama watching him.

“Should you not be meditating?” she asked.

“I woke early, and thought that I…”

“I will not have you waste three months of effort,” Ayama chided. “Come, we can greet the sunrise from the eastern wall. I feel you are very close to an epiphany.”

Kaliel noted that Ayama was wearing her traveling clothes, with a pack on her back. “You are leaving,” he observed.

“Yes, after our meditation is concluded.”

“Give us an hour and we can be ready to join you.”

“No, my friend,” Ayama said with a sad smile. “This time I must walk alone. I have questions which require a period of solitude to address.”

“When will you return?”

“I will not return to Petgrana, at least not immediately. It has been good to be home, but I left because I know I am needed in other parts of Creation. And I can already see the signs that the village has begun to turn to me to lead them, which I must discourage lest they become dependent upon my presence.”

“I understand,” Kaliel said, “where, then, shall we meet?”

“I will go to the city of Lynnisbrook at the conclusion of my journey. You may await me there.”

They spent the next two hours meditating as the sun rose over the horizon, after which Ayama proclaimed that she felt Kaliel was within days of achieving enlightenment, and that he would be able to complete the journey without her… if he kept up with his meditation. Ayama jumped down from the wall and walked to the temple of Sunlight Pierces the Canopy. Two hours later, she emerged from the temple, and began to make her way toward the western gate, saying farewell to the villagers who came to greet her. She then walked out of the gate, heading north into the forest, toward the river.

After walking for half an hour, Ayama looked ahead and saw Ghost perched in the branches ahead. He jumped down, landing on the ground before her. He held a set of hearthstone bracers in one hand, and Harmony of Purpose in the other.

“You forgot something,” Ghost said. “Choose.”

“Zanka appears to have an interest in both of these items,” Ayama said. “She may have them both.”

Ghost’s brow wrinkled in frustration. “No, she may not. I did not offer both items to her, I offered one to each of you. You must choose one of the items I brought back before you leave.”

“Very well,” Ayama sighed. She looked at the items in Ghost’s hand. “When I left my home yesterday, I noticed that there was one item still left in your bundle. What was that?”

“This?” Ghost pulled a small orichalcum amulet from his pocket. “This is nothing. A hearthstone amulet. It is useless without a hearthstone mounted in it.”

“I will choose that,” Ayama said.

“But…”

“You said I had to choose one item. I have done so. May I have it, please?”

Scowling, Ghost dropped the amulet in Ayama’s outstretched palm. “I know better than to argue with you when you are like this.”

“When I am like what?”

“Like yourself.”

“But of course, Ghost. I cannot be anything but how I am.”

Ayama was well out of earshot before Ghost replied quietly, “And that is the unfortunate part of it.”

۞​

Ayama sipped from her waterskin and got to her feet. It was searingly bright but surprisingly cold atop the plinth that was the center of Skybreak. She had walked to this small, remote valley northwest of Petgrana, and had spent the past few days slowly climbing the steep slope, having neither eaten nor drank throughout the journey. When she had arrived at the pinnacle, she had constructed a crude shelter from loose stones and the bundle of branches she had hauled up with her. The next morning, she had begun her supplication to the Unconquered Sun, asking him to provide her with guidance. She was now on her third day on Skybreak’s peak.

She had asked nicely for a few hours before her voice had given out. Now she had worked up the necessary righteous indignation for some demanding. If the two days prior were any indication, she had a few hours of that to look forward to. Just as she raised her fist and drew in a deep breath to begin she was poked in the back. Yelping in surprise, she spun.

The being that stood behind her was human in shape, though made entirely of slowly coruscating light in seven subtle shades. His form was garbed in light folded around him like garments. He stood, arm outstretched, finger extended. He had poked her in the back.

“Can I help you?”

The being, Ayama strongly suspected it was a god, boldly stepped into her personal space and began examining her closely. When it spoke, the timbre of its voice identified it as nominally male. “Very nice! Certainly the sense of self must be intact to address an unknown but obviously formidable entity so.” He grabbed Ayama’s hand and began to turn it over, examining the lines in her palm, peering at her fingernails. Ayama tried to draw back her hand but the god’s grip was steadfast.

She frowned. “Excuse me Elder, but is there something I might help you with? A question you desire answered? Anything? Can you at least give me a name that I might call you?”

The god caught the Solar’s chin in his hand and began peering intently into her eyes, even going so far as to peel back her eyelid. “Hmm? Oh, you may call me Lytek. Tell me, Divine Gift to End Suffering, what do you remember of your life before you were also the mortal called Ayama?”

Ayama grimaced but was unwilling to assault the god in order to stop his poking and prodding. As with other inexplicable beings of great power, namely her own grandmother, she found it likely that the best way to stop the examination would be to satisfy the deity’s curiosity.

“I… to be honest I remember very little. A great deal of swimming I think. By myself and with others, though I cannot place who they are. I remember flashes as though they were armored, but that’s… outlandish to say the least. The clearest memory I have is of a throne rising from the sea… or perhaps it was in the sea. It is clearest but not terribly clear. Why do you ask, Lytek?”

“Oh! Hmmm. Quite scoured then. Very little residue.” He grabbed her braid and tugged it hard, dropping Ayama to her knees and peering into her ear of all places.

Growling, Ayama drew a small knife from her belt and slashed viciously. She sprang to her feet leaving Lytek holding three feet of her braided hair. “Enough.”

Unperturbed, the god examined the braid in his hand. “So now that you have become the being who is both Ayama and the Divine Gift do you note a difference in your experiences of Creation?”

Ayama replaced her knife and began playing a game of cat-and-mouse with the god as she tried to avoid being within his arm’s reach, and he pursued her with a distant but determined expression on his face. “Have you experienced others bearing Exaltations?”

Pacing backward and watching over her shoulder so as to not fall off the mountaintop, Ayama answered without thinking. “Of course, my Circle.”

Lytek nearly clapped his hands in delight. “Oh, that is excellent. Most excellent. Now do stop dodging me and stand still. I am nearly done with you.” He produced a device of lenses, gems and prisms and began to adjust it with various dials. “I cannot take accurate measurements with you dancing about like that.”

The Lawgiver settled in place, satisfied that she was more than an arm’s reach from the god. She peered at the device in fascination as Lytek studied her, her hands itching to handle the strange artifact. He grunted and chortled softly to himself.

“Ah yes, most satisfactory. Most satisfactory.”

Somehow Ayama in her fascination with the god’s device had allowed him to get close again, though she would have sworn that he had not moved towards her while he had taken his measurements. Perhaps, she wondered, the instrument had done that for him? She didn’t dodge in time to avoid the god’s free hand as it grasped her shoulder. “No wriggling. Just a little memory graft and I am done with you.”

“Memory graft??” The Solar tensed, ready to twist away and take her chances with a fall rather than remain at the poking prodding mercy of the god.

The device disappeared from Lytek’s hand and a sliver of crystal appeared. Without preamble he thrust it at Ayama’s face. She felt the point score her forehead where the center of her caste-mark was and then…

She stood at the head of an army, brilliant daylight searing an acidic sea threatening to overwhelm her and the forces massed behind her. She cried out in righteous fury and felt the Essence she was channeling touched by the Essence of an immense deific force. She brandished her fist and felt the light of the Unconquered Sun himself flow from her to sear the acidic sea. Her voice rose to a crescendo though she hadn’t realized she was speaking. “And by His glorious light…

…be consumed!” Ayama’s shout was lost in the wind as she came back to the here-and-now. She was once more atop the plinth of stone that was Skybreak, and she was alone. She took a moment to gather her wits, and began the long climb down.

Kosh

First Post
I stepped away from this story for a little while, but I am so glad that I came back! The story just keeps getting better. I really like the introduction of other exalted beings now that the circle members are starting to understand their place in creation. For a second, I thought it was strange that they were meeting to many exalts and gods, but now I think it's appropriate for the epic nature of the tale.

I kind of miss the frame story involving the old storyteller reading from scrolls. I'd like to hear more about the people in the present that are listening to him. How does the town react when they hear about him telling stories of Anathema? I bet there's a story somewhere there.

Your writing is really high quality! I find the story engaging and rich. I bet that has to do a lot with my inexperience with the setting, your excellent group, and your way with words.

Please keep it coming! You are inspiring me to run my own Exalted game!

Remove ads