D&D General Examples of "Core" D&D Adventure Themes?

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
You get a dungeon map from a retired/ing adventurer:

Attachments

• Geoffs_Dungrom.png
    Geoffs_Dungrom.png
    278.1 KB · Views: 99

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
You find a map!

• It shows the location of an uncharted island, go chart it!
In Jack Sparrow voice: "If it's an uncharted island, how did it get on the map?"

More seriously, this points to a trope I've used for parties just starting out:

There's an old cleaned-out dungeon at location x. To practice your field skills, go explore it and come back with a map of it.

Yora

Legend
There are no overdone ideas. Only uninspired executions.

The thing with D&D is that it has gone through a dozen iterations that want to be completely different things at different times, while still maintaining that it's all still D&D. Many shallow and nonsensical looking ideas appear that way when applied to a different style of game or campaign than the one that made them entertaining classics.

Lyxen

Great Old One
While certainly different, I would not call them completely different. We have been able to play more or less in the same styles (the ones that we prefer) for more than 35-40 years whatever the edition. Some were easier to use than others, some steered our game in particular directions, but it was still unmistakeable D&D.

But this might be because we have a heavily story-oriented roleplaying mode, I understand that if you play more technically (which is as good a style if you prefer it), the editions of the game seem more different to you.

Remove ads