D&D 5E Excalibur! DnD!

In Mythological Figures & Maleficent Monsters, we also include some important magical artifacts. Here's THE magical artifact.

excalibur.jpg

Last edited:

dave2008

Legend
Thanks for sharing. Looks good to me. My only suggestion would be too change the border & text color. I think the blue doesn't look very good with the warm brown colors.

NotAYakk

Legend
(If I remember correctly, Excalibur was a +5 Sword of Sharpness in the original Deities & Demigods)
Yes, it reads like someone ignoring 5e convention and importing stuff from earlier editions that was deliberately removed in 5e.

To put it another way, if WotC where to write Excaliber and they made itna +4 sword, I'd be very disappointed.

Maybe I should just lower my expectations and treat this as a step up from random wiki homebrew, and not a step down from WotC quality. And it is well polished homebrew. Good production values.

Mercurius

Legend
Yes, it reads like someone ignoring 5e convention and importing stuff from earlier editions that was deliberately removed in 5e.

To put it another way, if WotC where to write Excaliber and they made itna +4 sword, I'd be very disappointed.

Maybe I should just lower my expectations and treat this as a step up from random wiki homebrew, and not a step down from WotC quality. And it is well polished homebrew. Good production values.

I think that's a tad harsh, but yes, it isn't official content and shouldn't be seen as such.

I do find it a tad incongruent with the statement in the Achilles thread - that they're following RAW for Achilles, but evidently not for Excalbur. Anglo-centrism anyone? (Haha, just kidding, @Morrus ).

Have to agree with many other posters, +4 weapons where removed from 5e for good reason. +3 is the new +5.

And TBH I don't think Excalibur is much special in terms of power. Arthur doesn't kill any major monsters with it, and Lancelot can still kick his butt. Apart from the scabbard I would make it close to a bog standard Holy Avenger.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I do find it a tad incongruent with the statement in the Achilles thread - that they're following RAW for Achilles, but evidently not for Excalbur. Anglo-centrism anyone? (Haha, just kidding, @Morrus ).
Arthur is built with PC rules, just like Achilles.

We have about 12 artefacts in the book (I already mentioned Mjolnir above). Those are designed separately.

dave2008

Legend
Yes, but think it should be one of those "once per each of your turns, you can...." or we'll end up with a crazy light show!
I agree it could be clarified, but I don't know anyone who would abuse wording or a DM that would allow it to be abused to create a "crazy light show." ;) But it rarely hurts to be clear.

Weiley31

Legend

Perhaps it would only count as a +4 sword if it's being wielded by the once and future King to the Throne of Britannia?

LizardWizard

Explorer
Arthur is built with PC rules, just like Achilles.

We have about 12 artefacts in the book (I already mentioned Mjolnir above). Those are designed separately.

Sorry for the offtop, just a quick question: will you consider allowing backers of a sufficiently higher tier to submit their own creatures or artefacts?

There are still tons of mythical heroes, monsters, and weapons not covered by your write-ups, especially from the more obscure mythologies.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases