Excellent Anime Worth Watching?

frankthedm

First Post
Steamboy and Gundam Wing for certain. Maybe Escaflowne, perhaps Aquarion.

Some folks swear by Evengelion, others swear at it. I have grown to loath anime characters like Shinji so I can't get into it. But it is mecha and there is wangst {some call it drama], so maybe you'll care for it.

The Old version of Bubblegum Crisis may be worth taking a look at. Maybe the new ones.

Also what are your opinions on fanservice? It can be fairly prevalent in anime.

Neo Ranga seemed to be an interesting mecha anime, but I did not watch many episodes. It can be somewhat generous with the fanservice.

Not sure if I would have recommend the awesomely violent Ninja scroll but take a look at the description to help with your decision on that one since it does go outside of what some folks would consider the bounds of good taste in one notable scene. Also take "nearly" with a grain of salt:-S.

Rackhir

Explorer
I adore the concept of mecha.

Gundam 0083 Stardust Memory has some great mecha, terrific soundtrack and a fairly good plot (goes kinda into lala land in the last ep though).

Gundam ZZ you might want to track down fan subs for. The first half of the series is not very interesting slapstick, but the second half is much better and the last 5 episodes pulls out an array of cool mecha the likes of which has never been seen before or after.

Char's Counter Attack is great for mecha as well. The end of this is the very definition of Crowning Moment of Awesome

Evangelion is pretty blah, from a mecha standpoint.

Code Geas : Lelouch of the Rebelion (now playing on Cartoon Network at an ungodly hour of the morning on sundays. Thank the gods for TiVo) has some great mecha and Xanatos Gambits like you wouldn't believe.

It's also on the old side, but Armored Trooper Votoms, is the only series with mecha I've ever found even vaguely plausible.

If you have any interest in the models/toys/figures.

www.HLJ.com (Hobby Link Japan) is a great source. Not inexpensive, but an unrivaled selection and more reasonable than most local stores for stuff.

TwinBahamut

First Post
Chrono crusade
Junni Kokki, the twelve kingdoms
and Outlaw star
are all worth checking out too.
I can't believe I forgot to mention The Twelve Kingdoms... That one is certainly not sci-fi, but it is an incredibly good series.

Desert Hare said:
I adore the concept of mecha. Steampunk is one of my favorite concepts as well.
Well, that is good to know. :) I am something of an obsessive mecha fanboy, so it would be rather hard for me to make good suggestions if you didn't like the genre.

frankthedm said:
Maybe Escaflowne, perhaps Aquarion.
Escaflowne is indeed good, even with some of its oddities.

Aquarion, on the other hand, is something I would only really recommend to dedicated fans of the Super Robot genre. It is a series that tends to force what little character growth you see, has fairly uninspired action, and has some really annoying plot revelations and events near the end. There are indeed several aspects of it that are fun and likable, but the series is simply too pretentious for its own good. Overall, I would rate this as a second-tier entry in the genre, rather than something first-class.

If you want a Super Robot show, I would recommend both RahXephon (if you want something lyrical and philosophical) and GaoGaiGar (if you want a carefree and hot-blooded old-school show) over Aquarion.

Back to the topic of the more "Real Robot" side of the mecha genre, I would recommend the anime Zegapain. It has a great story and some of the best characters I have ever seen in a mecha anime.

Also, I definitely recommend the series Eureka Seven. I think you really need to have watched Mobile Suit Gundam and Zeta Gundam in order to really appreciate what the series is trying to do, but it is is absolutely brilliant and a joy to watch.

babomb

First Post
[Monster] had so much potential, but it dragged way too long, and kinda sputtered out in the end, like so many other anime series. Nonetheless there were some great episodes in there.

A fair criticism. It was a bit longer than it really needed to be. Overall, I still thought it was very good.

Pbartender

First Post
Non-stop action, hard core sci-fi/soft fantasy, romance/love interest and lots of drama.

I'll echo Cowboy Beebop.

Also take a look at Fruits Basket.

• Movies made by Hayao Miyazaki's Studio Ghibli are distributed in the US by Disney, and have pretty good dubs. They're also among the best anime there is. They tend to be very character-centric, rather than plot-centric. Some of these movies are:
    Princess Mononoke
    Howl's Moving Castle
    Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
    Castle in the Sky
    The Castle of Cagliostro (You should preferably see the Lupin III series before watching this, see below.)

Don't forget Porco Rosso, Kiki's Delivery Sevice, My Neighbor Totoro, Spirited Away, Whispers of the Heart, and The Cat Returns.

Also the full metal panic! series are great, although i haven't seen all of the second raid. This one has a lot of elements, a little mecha, humor, action, espionage. It's worth seeing.

Also read or die, is very good. The original three parter more so then the tv series.

Cergorach

The Laughing One
Wow! Don't you folks watch any recent anime, a lot of what's mentioned is many years old, some as old as a decade plus (that doesn't mention it isn't good) ;-)

Personally I watch a lot of different genres anime, it kind of depends on my mood. If I was you I wouldn't rule out any anime, just try something, if it doesn't jife with you you can always watch something else. The only real advice I can give you is watch it with the original japanese language track and use subtitles, dubs are the most horrible invention ever (thanks to the darned germans ;-), it can really ruin a fun/good anime.

Some thing I haven't seen mentioned before:
- Initial-D (street racers)
- One Piece (fantasy good guy pirates)
- Hajime no Ippo (boxing, a new series has recently started, but watch it from the beginning)
- Major (baseball)
- Prince of Tennis (tennis)
- Capeta (cart racing)
- Black Lagoon (badass smugglers in the oceanic region)
- Deathnote (serialkiller kid gifted with grim reaper powers)
- All the 'Tenchi' series and movies (terran kid gets into space...)

I've watched a few hundred series/movies over the last decade, maybe some where better then others, but they amused me at the time. When I watch a series more then once, I REALLY like it. I believe I've watched Initial-D a few times over the last couple of years, and seen Hajime no Ippo twice.

A note on series such as Naruto, Bleach, One Piece, these series run for 200+ episodes and tend to be based on mangas (comics). Initially these have a decent tempo (I have the feeling that a lot happens), but eventually the anime catches up to the manga and the anime slows down. A story line that previously was spread over 5 episodes is suddenly spread over 10-20 episodes. That's the reason I stopped watching Naruto after ~250 episodes (but it slowed down long before that), Bleach after ~150, and One Piece after ~350. One Piece I now watch in batches of 10 episodes when I feel an urge, might pick up Naruto en Bleach again to (and watch a 100+ episodes in one go). You might want to try the first couple of dozen episodes of each series...

qstor

Adventurer
I just saw the trailor for Shigurui. It looked pretty good. Afro Samurai is something else worth watching. Although if you're watching with young kids its a bit bloody.

Mike

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
I saw Code Geass a month ago, it was incredible. Also, you can watch the entire first season, dubbed or subbed*, and in HD (at least by youtube standards) on youtube legitimately! Bandai enterainment was cool enough to put that up AND season 1 of Gundam 00. code Geass takes place in an alternate reality where Britain crushed the American Revolution and ended up moving thre after Napolean defeated the monarchy in England. It takes place in the "near future" time-wise, with Britannia the most powerful nation on earth and having just conquered Japan 7 years ago, where most of the series takes place. Just for a quick plot summary.

I just really enjoyed so many aspects of the show. Many great characters, strong plot, lots of intrigue and between episode cliff-hangers, etc.. The main character really stands out. He gains the power of geass, which works sort of like the D&D spell geas. He can by making eye contact force the person(s) to obey whatever command he issues to the best of their ability. It also has a lot of limitations, which he figures out as he goes along. Aside from that, he's a chess-whiz with staggering intellect, which (IMO) accomplishes more for him than his "super power" as he tries to take on Britannia. He's also physically weak, so it's also nice to see a hero that's kinda the opposite of Conan and such, winning purely with his wits.

Forgot if I mentioned it in my posts prior, but I've seen the first 2 episodes of Gankutsuo: The Count of Monte Cristo, and it's stunning. I look forward to seeing the rest of it soon, I'll save any real analysis till after I see more. I will say it's just...different. Especially the art style, which I could see some people hating, but I loved it.

*EDIT: Should mention I've seen sub and dub, and I think the dub is at least as good if not better. I also hate reading subtitles if I don't have to, though. :) I really liked the voice actor for the main character in the dub; it's the same guy who does Vash's English voice in Trigun, another anime I found to be great dubbed.

Remove ads