• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Excerpt: Swarms

Fallen Seraph

First Post
I am going to have some fun with these, especially the Drakes. I can imagine the party running away from a Dragon and being chased by Drakes, each time they Drakes draw near the party fears being dropped prone and having to face the incoming Dragon.

mrrodgers

First Post
First 4e house rule: Bludgeoning weapons do normal damage against ground based swarms. Maul=Giant bloody flyswatter.
And what about ranged aoe effects of magical/divine nature? A fireball would surely fry the pesky blighters.

EDIT: @Duel: Not so tasty when the wizard casts fireball.

Shroomy

Adventurer
I'm going to bed soon, so when I wake-up, I expect to see at least a 10 page thread discussing the minutae of a single point from the excerpt. No, really, I'm happy with the 4e swarm examples and I'm glad that they went ahead and made the stirge a swarm-type creature. That said, the stirge is a classic low-level monster, so I hope there are some heroic-tier examples in the MM

Colmarr

First Post
I'm not convinced.

The first thing that struck me is that both swarms are Medium. If the drakes are the size of cats, surely a swarm of them should be more than 5' x 5'?

And I'm not sure my first thought was, as promised, "Get these things off me!" :)

EDIT: After looking at them a second time, they do look like formidable foes. I guess I miss the idea (although perhaps not the implementation) of the nausea caused by 3e swarms. That, to my mind, accurately represented the effect of having 100s or 1000s of beasties crawling over you.

Fallen Seraph

First Post
mrrodgers said:
First 4e house rule: Bludgeoning weapons do normal damage against ground based swarms. Maul=Giant bloody flyswatter.
And what about ranged aoe effects of magical/divine nature? A fireball would surely fry the pesky blighters.
Well it does say:

Vulnerable 5 against close and area attacks.

So that would include fireballs.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads