• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Excuses] Why I can't be a Ceramic (Or Iron) DM

BSF

Explorer
barsoomcore said:
Hope those didn't sound too harsh.

Coming up with excuses is an art form in and of itself, and the trick here isn't to be presented with compelling rebuttals. I can present rebuttals till I'm blue in the face, I can shoot down every one of your arguments, but it won't do any good if you're just going to come up with more. As long as you're looking for reasons why something's impossible, you are making it impossible. There are ALWAYS reasons why something's too hard, or pointless, or a waste of time. You're either going to do it or you're going to think up excuses. Which is it?

Ah! Finally somebody jumps into the game!

No, I want you to shoot down all excuses. Looking at the latest Ceramic DM and Iron DM threads, I was surprised that there weren't more people leaping to join the contest. I don't think it is because most of the people here don't feel like they can tell a story or build an encounter. :) I am working with the theory that maybe they don't quite have the confidence to jump in. Which is why I think Nemmerle's Newbie Iron DM contest is a great idea. I am also hoping to elicit some feedback from previous participants.

Your response is a great start! But, I will ask for a bit more from you, since you are not only a contestant, but a past winner. Can you tell me (us?) what you learned? How you had fun? How it helped you improve your writing/storytelling?

barsoomcore

Unattainable Ideal
BardStephenFox said:
Can you tell me (us?) what you learned?
Nope, not really. Or at least not in so many words. It's a "kick from the knee" thing, and if that doesn't make sense to you, you need to read The Sun, The Moon and the Stars by Steven Brust again.
How you had fun?
If you don't think making up stories in 72 hours according to pictures posted by a mad potter with too much time on his hands isn't fun, I don't know how to explain it to you. :D
How it helped you improve your writing/storytelling?
I didn't know if I could do it when I started. Now I know I can.

I hope it doesn't seem like I'm being flippant. I'm not. I'm trying to be accurate and honest.

The best thing about these competitions (and the Story Hour board and all that stuff) is that we all get to rub shoulders with each other, read each other's work, get inspired and be creative together. For writers especially, this is a rare opportunity -- writing is by nature anti-social and it can be difficult, if you're spending time writing, to find a peer group to share your work with.

I am sort of saddened to hear that Ceramic DM has become something people feel like they need to be "good enough" to enter. On the one hand, it's great that the level of competition is so high -- it means we all get great stories to read, yay! But on the other it creates barriers and divisions within the community, which is too bad.

One last bit of encouragement: Go to any class where people are really there to learn. Not a school class, but say an art class, or a karate class, or whatever. Look at the people practising and studying and learning and teaching and think about who's learning the most.

It's the people at the bottom. The newbies, the inexperienced, the first-timers. They're learning at a tremendous rate, soaking up knowledge and understanding with every pass, each repetition, every word the teacher says.

So if you want to REALLY learn, if you're serious about getting better at anything, surround yourself with people better than you. You'll be the worst one there. You'll make more mistakes and screw up more than anyone else and it'll be embarrassing and painful and make you want to hide. But you'll learn.

Enter Ceramic DM and get kicked out in the first round. You'll feel stupid, but you'll have done it and you'll have learned more than you would if you gave into your fear. Nobody ever learned anything by giving into fear.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
This whole "I'm not good enough" thing is utter crap. If I only entered or tried stuff I knew I'd win, I'd never do anything.

Even more importantly, the only way to get better at writing is to write. It doesn't matter whether it's fiction, non-fiction, campaign logs - whatever. Just write, and you'll improve. I found this out the hard way when I first began a story hour. I've gotten better, I think, but that's because I keep reading and stealing from all the people who do it better than I do.

That's one of the reasons I love Ceramic or Iron DM so much. I get to see how other people handle the same ingredients that I get. It's fun! Mind you, it makes me think and it strains my creativity, but that's most of the fun.

Last edited:

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Anyone can beat Piratecat, but if you go beating on disabled felines it surely isn;t going to win you any friends.

Cruel bastards.

;)

barsoomcore

Unattainable Ideal
The best advice I ever read on writing came from Robert Silverberg, printed in an issue of Amazing Stories about fifteen years ago I guess:
There are three steps to becoming a great writer:

1. Read a lot.
2. Write a lot.
3. Read a lot more, and write a lot more.
It's not rocket science. It's not complicated. It's just really hard work. And not starting today just makes it harder to start tomorrow.

alsih2o

First Post
i hafd a proffessor in college who taught pottery who, when asked how to do something would say "go do it 1000 times, i will be along in a while to see how you are doing."

this IS the point.

do it. rinse. repeat.

nike had it right 1000%. just do it.

FrankTrollman

First Post
OK here's my reason:

21. The threads in question are extremely long and complicated and move very quickly. I can't for the life of me figure out how I would even go about entering such a competition.

It's sufficient I think.

-Frank

Halivar

First Post
24. I don't know what an Iron or Ceramic DM thingy is. I see the threads, but I am confused as to their purpose. In much the same way that I would have made a horrible spelunker before I knew what spelunking was.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads