D&D 5E Existentialist Sword and Sorcery

Steampunkette

Rules Tinkerer and Freelance Writer
Supporter
@Steampunkette

This forumer did some interesting things for his sword-and-sorcery setting.

They just went all in on the problematic issues of the genre and other trappings. It holds little interest for me.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
@Steampunkette

This forumer did some interesting things for his sword-and-sorcery setting.

Xoth is one of the best D&D-compatible sword and sorcery settings out there. I remember looking at the 3.5E and Pathfinder releases and being very impressed.

Yaarel

He Mage
They just went all in on the problematic issues of the genre and other trappings. It holds little interest for me.
Heh, well, obviously, ignore those problematic parts.

Parts that I found interesting.

• Make a monster isolated, unique and monstrous, emphasizing its grotesqueness and oddity. [Especially near corruption.]

• Make combat lethal, and healing scarce.

• It is important to find ways to spend treasure.

• Here, subrace helps define where the character fits in within the process of corruption. This probably works better to rethink as a level 1 free feat. The categories describe increasing corruption.

• Savage
  • Nomad
  • "Civilized"
  • "Enlightened"
  • Decadent
  • Degenerate

Obviously, these characterizations are ethnically problematic. But the idea of increasing political power inviting increasing corruption is relevant, and can be redone without alluding to ethnic groups. Indeed, any ethnic group can undergo this process. Meanwhile, a player character mechanically expresses this process.

Remathilis

Legend
Personal Opinion: I think Primeval Thule handles S&S far better than Dark Sun. PT feels like much of the classic pulp tropes modernized (though maybe not modernized enough) whereas Dark Sun always felt very edgelordy. If I was interested in exploring existentialist tropes, I think the setting with literal Elder Gods would be my choice.

Steampunkette

Supporter
Personal Opinion: I think Primeval Thule handles S&S far better than Dark Sun. PT feels like much of the classic pulp tropes modernized (though maybe not modernized enough) whereas Dark Sun always felt very edgelordy. If I was interested in exploring existentialist tropes, I think the setting with literal Elder Gods would be my choice.
I'd never played it, but looking over some of the reviews? Coooool!

BookTenTiger

He / Him
I've always loved the IDEA of adding in existentialism to D&D, but I've always had trouble actually implementing it.

Because D&D characters gain new levels and abilities that continue to define, rather than redefine, who they are, change seems to be more about scaling than, well, change!

I wonder if there is something that could be added to, say, leveling up, or downtime activities that would introduce some systems to help players put their characters through existential changes?

Yora

Legend
I think it's mostly about asserting yourself both in the world that surrounds you, and towards your own preconceptions of what you should be.
An affirmation that whatever you are is valid, even when it does not live up to social expectations.

Steampunkette

Supporter
I've always loved the IDEA of adding in existentialism to D&D, but I've always had trouble actually implementing it.

Because D&D characters gain new levels and abilities that continue to define, rather than redefine, who they are, change seems to be more about scaling than, well, change!

I wonder if there is something that could be added to, say, leveling up, or downtime activities that would introduce some systems to help players put their characters through existential changes?
Alignment is that. To some degree.

But you could instead give people specific identity titles. Like "The Barbarian" or "The Destroyer" as appellations given to them by the populace based on what they're like. Let the player choose one at level 1 and see if they hold onto it.

Remove ads