D&D 5E Expansion Rules Gift Sets start to show up in the wild.

pnewman

Adventurer
I believe they see this as a feature, so that the most important aspects of a monster meeting its CR can't just be shut down by Counterspell. Spellcasting monsters still have other effects that can be. Whether or not this is a good thing is, of course, up to the user.
What about PC's whose spellcasting ability, including Counterspell, is an important part of their effectiveness? Is this a subtle way to slightly nerf arcane casters so they don't overpower most [1] other classes?

[1] Cough, cough, Druid.

GreyLord

Legend
Well, I was going to buy a full new set, but at this point I am going to wait a month or two till I see this new set in the stores and then buy a new set of books. Hopefully they'll integrate with the current rules well enough. It looks like I've decided to go an buy the gift set so I'm all in once I see them actually show up at retail.

Weiley31

Legend
Honestly the decision to replace the magic weapons trait with force damage is such a ridiculously terrible idea that it's moved me to the "probably won't buy" camp. Making a change that severely nerfs the core shtick of the Barbarian class doesn't bode well for other design decisions.
I mean, the way I look at it is that you can still keep the Magic Weapon trait version for a non-boss version of the monster and keep the Force Damage typed version as a boss/elite version of said monsters.

But I will admit that this seems to make Demons/Devils as more endgame/boss high end campaign style threats.

I'll also admit that yeah, it feels like that it does nerf the Barbarian damage resistance a bit. I'm still on the fence about that.

Remove ads