D&D 5E Expected Additions to SRD 1.2

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Now that the SRD for 5E has been released (version 1.1), there is going to be obviously some additions and corrections that will need to be made or added over time. The first most obvious one is Eldritch Blast being added, seeing as how it's the Warlock's primary attack spell, and there are two Invocations already in the SRD that modify it.

We also can see that the SRD includes only one subrace per race currently (which is funny, considering the Basic Game gives you both subraces for the dwarf, elf, and halfling)... and only one subclass per class. So it asks the question whether the other ones will be added any time soon.

Are there any other bits and bobs we can see that will probably need to be added to the next version of the SRD in order to make it usable for certain other parts that are already included?

Nellisir

Hero
I'd imagine that the 1 per thing with subclasses and races is an intentional choice, and we'll not see an expansion in that area anytime soon. It is weird that it doesn't have all the Basic Rules stuff though.

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
I guess Mearls mentioned on Twitter that there have been a couple of oversights in assembling the SRD, and we should use the email address in the document to report any we see.

I'd imagine that the 1 per thing with subclasses and races is an intentional choice, and we'll not see an expansion in that area anytime soon.
Agreed. My understanding from this is that the new SRD is intended to provide a framework for new content, not content in its own right.

Eldritch blast is probably an oversight, though.

Remathilis

Legend
I thought on this.

The SRD is very stingy on PC options: one subrace per race, one subclass per class, one feat, one background. This is intentional. Its there to prevent another Pathfinder game from springing up out of the near-complete game or a Pocket SRD to steal sales from the PHB. 3.5's SRD gave away the whole game; this time they are not giving every SRD owner the whole PHB. If someone WANTS to make a competing PHB, they would have to create their own additional subraces, subclasses, feats, backgrounds, etc.

The Basic Rules =/= OGL rules. They are a stripped down version of the PHB and now serve a very different purpose from the SRD. WotC can give you additional backgrounds and subraces, but just because they are free doesn't make them Open Content. Anyone who would want to build a Spinoff game (like Pathfinder) couldn't include Wood elf as a subrace, even if they are in the Basic PDF.

A lot of people will probably mix these two products up since they are both rules for 5e given out free, but they are not designed to be compatible nor fill the same purpose. WotC intentionally neutered the PC options this go around to avoid cannibalizing PHB sales; I doubt we'll see much more content be added to it.

Except Eldritch Blast; I can't see that oversight not be fixed only because of the Invocations mentioned...

Nellisir

Hero
If someone WANTS to make a competing PHB, they would have to create their own additional subraces, subclasses, feats, backgrounds, etc.
This. So much this. A truncated SRD isn't a penalty, it's a benefit. PEOPLE MAKES MOAR STUFF!!

The Basic Rules =/= OGL rules. They are a stripped down version of the PHB and now serve a very different purpose from the SRD. WotC can give you additional backgrounds and subraces, but just because they are free doesn't make them Open Content. Anyone who would want to build a Spinoff game (like Pathfinder) couldn't include Wood elf as a subrace, even if they are in the Basic PDF.
You could include Wood Elf. It's not particularly protected or anything. You just can't include a carbon copy of the PHB 5e wood elf. You'd have to make your own, or adapt from another source...like the d20 SRD... :D

A lot of people will probably mix these two products up since they are both rules for 5e given out free, but they are not designed to be compatible nor fill the same purpose. WotC intentionally neutered the PC options this go around to avoid cannibalizing PHB sales; I doubt we'll see much more content be added to it.

Except Eldritch Blast; I can't see that oversight not be fixed only because of the Invocations mentioned...

Yes and yes.

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
I thought on this.

The SRD is very stingy on PC options: one subrace per race, one subclass per class, one feat, one background. This is intentional.

Agreed. However, having one of each of those provides the nomenclature and a template for creating your own. That seems fair enough, especially since backgrounds, in particular, are setting-specific. Feats is another matter but considering you've got a template and tons of 3.5 SRD and PF SRD feats to revamp to the new format, via the template, I'm not seeing much of a roadblock for someone willing to do the work. So, too, with subraces, subclasses, etc.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
You could include Wood Elf. It's not particularly protected or anything. You just can't include a carbon copy of the PHB 5e wood elf. You'd have to make your own, or adapt from another source...like the d20 SRD... :D

I'm honestly wondering just how close to the line someone could tread, with regards to trying to clone existing sub-races/sub-classes, etc. If the name of them isn't anything that's closed, and you can use whatever game mechanics are in the 5E SRD, then so long as it's not word-for-word the same I suspect you could recreate quite a bit of what's not there.

Nagol

Unimportant
This. So much this. A truncated SRD isn't a penalty, it's a benefit. PEOPLE MAKES MOAR STUFF!!

<snip>

Sure, but you can't produce an adventure, book of villains, or NPC compendium that includes a Wild Magic Sorcerer, for example.

I think the SRD5 is a great start. I understand the desire to limit the ability the amount of OGC to protect the publisher. I do not want to end up with n versions of the same feat/spell/sub class published to mirror the base game though.

Remove ads