Experience Point: Cure Serious Wounds

Some of you may have noticed there was no Experience Points column last week for the first time since last November. Hopefully its absence was felt like a giant vacuum in your week. How you survived the last week without it is the great mystery of our time. I'm back; you can relax. I wish I could say it just slipped my mind, but I'm afraid that greater, sadder forces were at work. Our...

Some of you may have noticed there was no Experience Points column last week for the first time since last November. Hopefully its absence was felt like a giant vacuum in your week. How you survived the last week without it is the great mystery of our time. I'm back; you can relax.

I wish I could say it just slipped my mind, but I'm afraid that greater, sadder forces were at work. Our family had to make the painful decision to put down our beloved family dog, Onyx, after having her for 14 wonderful years. That sucked just about exactly as much as you think it did.

It's not like this was entirely unexpected. Dogs don't live a whole lot longer than that; we knew it was coming. I'm happy to say it was really only in the last month we saw her decline to the point where this was the right thing to do. She lived not only long but relatively healthy until the very end. I'm not sure any of us can ask for a lot more.

It was a rough decision but it truly went as well as could be hoped. The only treatment options available were ones from which she was unlikely to recover. My wife and I were in total agreement about what needed to happen. So there was no disagreement or worry about whether we should have done more.

Even with all those factors being as good as one could hope for in such a bad situation, I was completely gutted by it. I'm a very emotionally stable guy. I'm a very emotionally resilient guy (I'm writing this a week later after all). But it was still one hell of a rough week. I was surprised by some of the effects it had on me.

I'm very much a people person. There is little I enjoy more than talking to my friends and clients. But last week I didn't want to talk to anybody. My throat was tight and sore and my emotions were bruised and battered. I stayed close to home, ate very little, distracted myself as best I could. I needed a Cure Serious Wounds.

One of the ways I distracted myself was playing this cute little computer game I picked up called Don't Starve. It's a game world full of Tim Burtonesque 2d artwork full of things that are almost cute right up until they are terrifying and try to drive you insane and kill you. Here too I saw, when my Health and Sanity were low, I stuck pretty close to home. Kept the fire going. Looked for anything I could turn into medicine. I needed to recover.

It reminded me of some tense moments in our RPG's over the years. The times when hit points were low and we were still deep in the dungeon or wilderness. When you were huddled around the fire (or afraid to make a fire because it might attract something with teeth), hoping the night would end soon. Hoping that one more bad thing wouldn't happen. You might not survive one more bad thing.

It's a lot better when you have a place you can feel safe. It's better if you have people you trust around you. People who love you. You can lick your wounds and rest. Scrounge together a few potions or healing spells. Recover. Then you start to feel like a hero again and can get back out there adventuring.

I'm happy to say that my week of recovery allowed me to do just that. I dealt with the pain and loss. I managed to start feeling like myself again. On Friday we drove to the US National Whitewater Center and did a bunch of fun, adventuresome stuff. Zip lines, leaping off a 45 foot tower, rock climbing, a ropes course. Really cool stuff. Then we got up the next morning and did the Warrior Dash, which was also relatively close to the most adventure you can get these days without going some really remote places. I felt great doing all of that stuff. I was able to celebrate my birthday on Sunday without feeling sore and destroyed.

I had managed to recover.

I think when you feel that kind of beat up and abused by the world, when you've literally lost one of your best friends, taking the time to recover is important. Remembering that you've managed to recover before is important. That which does not kill us makes us stronger.

Has something laid you low lately? How did you recover? What did you accomplish when you came back from it?

Henry

Autoexreginated
Not to stir the pot too much, but In my reading of "7 Habits of Highly-Effective People" by Stephen Covey I was introduced to the narrative of Viktor Frankl -- if there was a man who embodied strength in the face of debilitating adversity, both personal and familial, it's him. The hypthetical gent who had his knee shattered and rebuilt can't even compare IMO.

Do I think anyone can do what he did? Hell no. Do I have any illusions that I can do what he did? Almost certainly not -- I'd probably have rolled over and died. I've been very lucky/blessed in this life, all my adversities faced could fit on half of Viktor Frankl's fingernail. Does that make me a failure or not able to live up to a standard? if it does, I'm fine with that -- I accept that the standard's high. Just because I can't meet it doesn't mean I set it lower, personally speaking.

I've had difficulties, but it was through love of family and friends that I made it through; it's just that I understand the sentiment behind both aphorisms "Strength through adversity" and "Let it go."

BTW, Rel, I'm sorry to hear about Onyx! I love that little girl (well, not so little) to death! I regret not asking to stay with you guys last time now. :) I hope the rest of your family finds peace with it.

Oh, and speaking of adversity killing you making you a better person, I gave up on Don't Starve because Winter kept kicking my butt. :D I'm instead beating zombies to death with lead pipes in Dead Island.

Last edited by a moderator:

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I've had difficulties, but it was through love of family and friends that I made it through; it's just that I understand the sentiment behind both aphorisms "Strength through adversity" and "Let it go."

Yah. It is just... while I myself am blissfully free of these problems, I have friends who have had... PTSD, social anxiety disorder, clinical depression, or chronic pain. My brother was confined to a wheelchair - smart enough to earn a Master's degree, but nobody would hire him because all they could see is the wheelchair.

And I get to watch these folks crash when someone lightly spits out the aphorisms. And it has, of late, become so clear to me just how ignorant most people (until fairly recently, myself included) are about the effect of these. So, again, I apologize to all if I seem too strident about it. Rel just got really close to a hot-button. And his notes *do* have value - don't get me wrong. It is just that in some of the most critical cases, they can be hurtful as well.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
My brother was confined to a wheelchair - smart enough to earn a Master's degree, but nobody would hire him because all they could see is the wheelchair.

Makes you wish that the slap to the head worked like it does in comedies, huh? 'Cause CLEARLY Stephen Hawking will never amount to anything...

Ahnehnois

First Post
Viktor Frankl -- if there was a man who embodied strength in the face of debilitating adversity, both personal and familial, it's him.
Indeed. It's also important to remember that his response to the situation does not invalidate the atrocities that he lived through. And it's important to understand that most of the other people in the same situation did not persevere as well.

Modern medical literature conceptualizes the ability to adapt to stress and adversity as "resilience". Clearly, VF is the extreme example of resilience. Like any desirable trait, it can be cultivated to some extent, but being 100% resilient to everything is not a realistic outcome, and those people who aren't very resilient are not generally at fault for being so.

It is very difficult to recognize and encourage resilience without being implicitly critical of those who are sensitive and easily hurt; I don't have an easy solution to that.

Remove ads

Remove ads