Experience Points

slobster

Hero
XP values are listed for every monster at the very beginning of the monster packet. PCs get the xp when the monster dies.

[EDIT] Dies or is defeated in some other way: negotiation, stealth, hip-hop dance fights . . . [/EDIT]

LostSoul

Adventurer
Yeah, I've seen the XP list, but I can't find the text where it tells you what to do with it. I know there's an assumption to award it for defeating monsters, but if they don't actually tell you to do that I'm not going to.

thalmin

Retired game store owner
Although right now it doesn't matter since we don't know what is needed to level up. Expect character generation and level to come in one of the next Playtesting bundles.

Libramarian

Adventurer
My DM yesterday said XP was listed by the room, so he originally was awarding it when he felt like we satisfactorily "solved" a room. That became problematic after we started mixing monsters from different rooms together, so he started doing XP per monster with the values from the bestiary.

Kinak

First Post
I was keeping track and awarding the XP whenever the party stopped for a rest. In campaign play, I'd probably award it at the end of the session.

Barring guidance, it would seem you get XP immediately upon overcoming a threat. I'd just wait for, at least, a rest to make the bookkeeping easier.

Cheers!
Kinak

thalmin

Retired game store owner
Sure we do. Check the char. sheets. 2000 XP is level 2 6000 XP is level 3. ;)
My bad. But for the playtest it really doesn't matter. For this month I plan to run a session at 1st level. Level up for the next week so we can try the 2nd level abilities. Level up again for the following week so we can play a session with the 3rd level characters. At least for me, trying everything out is more important than waiting for the numbers to say we can test the newer stuff. ymmv.

Remove ads