• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Experience

Xeriar

First Post
It's important to realize how insanely powerful a 21st-level wizard would have to be before taking that level. 150k XP for +5 for each stat? No problem!

That's like 4 levels (+2 to attack/damage, +2 to all saves, +40 hit points, +2 AC, +2 to spell DC, +2 to all skills, +2 skill points/level, +2 to leadership) while everyone else sucks it up for the long haul.

Wishing for feats too?

He's for sure going to have multiples of any respectable wand worth less than 15,000 GP, and more scrolls in his library than Alexandria.

Any item creation feats he decided to take are going to be abused first, as well.

Every other class gets screwed on the way up.

thalmin

Retired game store owner
I understand the desire to slow advancement; but I fail to see the reasoning in allowing the normal, rapid advancement for 4 levels only to hit the wall every 5th. :confused:

med stud

First Post
IMX the advancement slows off after 3rd level. I was kinda surprised when I noticed it, while it didnt look like it on paper :-/

Victim

First Post
Sounds like the "hell" levels in EQ. Of course, supposed those came about from an error in their Xp formulae.

I'd just make up XP to fit how fast you want characters to level.

If you are using published modules, especially if they are long ones, keep an eye on things. The module might anticipate the characters' leveling after a certain point and begin to throw tougher stuff at them.

dcollins

Explorer
House Rules, please!

But while I'm here:
(a) The variant on DMG p. 167 recommends altering experience awarded, not the amount required for each level. That's important for cross-campaign integration.

(b) Fast advancement is in practice not a problem for my campaign's 12th-ish level characters: they die sufficiently often and lose levels that they've practically stopped advancing at all.

Spherecreed

First Post
Sorry, but your experiance table looks kind of random. Why is it harder for a PC to become 6th level (10,000 Xp from last level) than to become level 7th (6,000 Xp from last level).
Okay, I can see a logic in your table, but I do not think, that is a good logic. (x levels fast one level slow x level ...)

Edit: Oh, by the way there are many other RPGs that uses the XP-formula of D&D 3E. (Or more likely the other way round.) The computer RPG Fallout is the most popular, I guess.

Last edited:

Berk

First Post
I never really saw a problem with level advancement that much. I mean it took over a year for my cleric to reach 20th level, and the rest of the party is only like 17th-19th. That's not all that bad for playing 12 hours every sunday for over a year.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads