Experiences with the updated Skill Challenge?

Heselbine

Explorer
Interestingly, I've just come back from GenCon UK and DMed three different Living FR scenarios for a total of six sessions.

Every single skill challenge was a success - and they all use DCs of around 15 for moderate challenges at first level.

I'd say that the errata'd DCs (10 for moderate at levels 1-3) were too low, by 5 - but that the originals (taking into account the +5 for skill challenges) were too high. DC15 seems about right.

Old Gumphrey

First Post
We tried the new DC's for a session. We did 3 skill challenges without a single failure, rolled our eyes, and went back to the old system (but without adding another +5 for skill checks). Since then, skill challenges feel great.

Majushi

First Post
What do people think about having failed Aid Another subtract 1 from the end roll.

I mean. Currently there is no down side to Aiding at all...

Baumi

Adventurer
Thanks for all the answers so far. :)

It seems that the middle way between the original and the new DC's seem the way to go. I think I will simply use the new DC's but keep the foot notes since most of the time I will get the DCs that I want (15 for lvl 1) and I think a straight Attribute-Check should be easier since you can't get a trained-bonus, so this would be perfect.

Heselbine

Explorer
Also, you can get rid of the table if you wish.

Easy DCs: 10 + level/2
Moderate DCs: 15 + level/2
Hard DCs: 20 + level/2

This is my house rule from now on. Simple.

Runestar

First Post
What do people think about having failed Aid Another subtract 1 from the end roll.

I mean. Currently there is no down side to Aiding at all...

I don't think it is really a big deal. Past a certain point, you can't fail an aid-another check anyways. Might be significant at lower lvs, but this really depends on the party makeup. If they consist of PCs who are each allocated a list of skills to max out (and the rest dump accordingly), then it may be useful.:)

D'karr

Adventurer
I don't think it is really a big deal. Past a certain point, you can't fail an aid-another check anyways. Might be significant at lower lvs, but this really depends on the party makeup. If they consist of PCs who are each allocated a list of skills to max out (and the rest dump accordingly), then it may be useful.:)

Yes, but that situation ("no need to roll") will only be available for someone that is untrained and does not have a good modifier until 18th level. A trained person will get that, at the latest, at 10th level, which is still a significant level and not necessarily low level. For those that have a good modifier and are trained then the need is less but that should not be the determinant.

I've ruled it in the past that a failure to aid does nothing if the Skill Check being aided succeeds but gives a -2 to the next roll if the check fails.

I know of one DM that actually counts the failure to aid as a failure for the Skill Challenge. That just became too harsh and people started not even participating on the challenge unless they had a good modifier. Which IMO defeats the purpose of the Skill Challenges.

Last edited:

Stalker0

Legend
Yes, but that situation ("no need to roll") will only be available for someone that is untrained and does not have a good modifier until 18th level. A trained person will get that, at the latest, at 10th level, which is still a significant level and not necessarily low level. For those that have a good modifier and are trained then the need is less but that should not be the determinant.

Thing, the core rules assume players are using their best skills almost all the time, it even encourages players to try and find uses for their best skills.

All you need is a +9 to autoaid, and heck many character will have that at 1st level.

James McMurray

First Post
I don't see Aid Another as that big of a deal in Skill Challenges. It's not available in many challenges, which means if you decide to allow it you'll know ahead of time and can adjust DCs to compensate. When the situation does fit letting people give +2 for a DC 10 freebie, you can up the base DCs or lower the XP.

For the rest of the challenges, there are some where you can help others, but not at the default DC of 10. For those, you often need at least one person helping to have a better than average chance of succeeding.

Skill challenges of the party's level and low complexity should be cakewalks. They represent the same challenge as a few monsters of their level. There should be a chance of failure, but it won't be high. When you want something tough, Complexity 5 and Level + 4 can cause some major brain sweat, especially if you're not allowing standard aid another and the ways in which you can aid are mostly secondary skills, so only usable once.

Remove ads