Experiment with Treasure

Lordhawkins9

First Post
Until recently, I've collected a wish list of magic items from the group I DM for and would hand them out in the parcel system.

In our game last night, I did not have a list and not enough time to look up potential items for the party, so I came up with something on the fly:

After a big fight where I would normally have included a magic item, I had the players all roll a percentile. The highest percentile then rolled a d4 to determine what level item they just got (the characters are 8th level. Rolled a 2, so got a 10th level item). Then, they got to pick whatever item they wanted of that level.

The next time an item will be passed out, the remaining characters that didn't get an item this level will roll percentile, then roll for which remaining magic item they get (in this case a d3 for 9th, 11th, or 12th).

This will happen twice more for the remain 2 magic items.

As I have 5 players and getting items is fun and including the fact that my characters are not allowed to create items, I'm going to switch out one of the cash treasure parcels for a magic item of the last characters choice under their level.

The players really seemed to enjoy this. They always get an item they will find useful and I don't have a list to keep track of.

Then, of course, my group has always liked the rolling for treasure from the earlier editions. :)

Last edited:

Tequila Sunrise

Adventurer
I'm not a fan of random treasure, but I'd love this! (It's not really random, because I get to pick my loot.)

As a DM I do the 1 item parcel per PC per level thing, because what were the devs thinking with 'Let's screw a PC every level with the parcel system while making it needlessly confusing'?

Fredrik Svanberg

First Post
Maybe they were thinking that the guy who didn't get an item would get a bunch of gold instead. Perhaps the wizard. Perhaps he needs it to buy rituals. Perhaps he can make his own items.

Camelot

Adventurer
Sounds like you've discovered what the developers did too. The new treasure rules determine the level in the same way. It's great that you let your players pick their items; I don't know why more DMs don't. Personally, I pick items for my players because they're all rather casual and searching for an item they'd like would be a daunting task (so I don't get wish lists either...).

Kannon

First Post
My players are fairly new/timid as well, so wishlists didn't go over too well, either. I have had some success with mixing this with the leveling up items idea. To keep the fun of finding random loot, and finding creative things to do with old weapons, each PC has one or two items that grow with them, and the rest are found/bought loot. Generally key items for the PC, so implements/weapons and armor or something depending on the class. (Holy symbol and weapon for the cleric, staff and amulet for the wizard, for example).

For example, whenever they'd get an upgrade to one of their key items, I'll outline a couple of choices and let them pick which way the weapon/item evolves. It works to encourage the players to make choices, without giving them an overwhelming list of loot.

aco175

Legend
I have been allowing players to pick items right along now, but have started to see some things I do not like/feel great about. A few of the players keep updating the items they got at low levels, it is fine that they get what they want, but feels wrong that the same weapon or armor keeps getting found that is now just a +3 or +4.

The other issue that I'm having, that I was hoping the essentials line would take care of, is that some of the players are taking only what would be considered a rare item when this is clarified. I cannot blame them for taking a cooler item over something common or bland, but will like it better next campaign when one player doesn't keep finding the item sets at random. I know that I can set any limits I like, but right now everyone is still having fun, so I let it go.

Remove ads