Level Up (A5E) Exploration Challenges and Encounter Budget

Immortal Blue

Villager
Hi First Time DM and Long Time Player,

I was wondering how the Exploration Challenges affect the Daily Encounter budget players have because in some of the text it talks about encounters but in others parts it explicitly references battles.

Obviously encounters use resources and exploration challenges are encounters so I was just wondering if anyone else thought they would be affect the encounter budget (i.e. an easy challenge would cost 0.5 Encounter Points), can anyone enlighten me.

Thanks,

Stalker0

Legend
While true, I would argue since most exploration challenges drain supplies and not hp/spells, they don't really affect a party's ability to handle a monster fight in the same way as a previous monster fight would.

On the other hand, some exploration challenges can consume spell slots and maybe do some damage....so I think it could have an impact in some cases.

Immortal Blue

Villager
Yeah that's kinda my problem with it cause some challenges seem to drain resources but not in the way say a fight would, though the ones that drain spell slots and do serious damage I feel would impact how many encounter a party could take per day.

It's just from a planning aspect I would like to know peoples thoughts on having the Exploration Challenges affect the encounter budget and vice-versa because I'm slightly torn between both sides, I just feel some challenges really don't warrant replacing a combat encounter.

Stalker0

Legend
I think I would keep it simple and say:

1) If the encounter burns HP/spell resources, count it based on its CR.
2) If it doesn't, then consider it seperate.

Remove ads