Critical Role Explorer's Guide to Wildemount Rockets to #1 In 'All Books' on Amazon

When the Amazon page for Explorer's Guide to Wildemount leaked, the book went straight to #15 in all books (not just games, or even just fantasy - all books!) on Amazon before WotC had even said a word about it. It quickly jumped to #3 on Monday, and as of today... it is currently sitting at #1. In ALL books.

Screen Shot 2020-01-14 at 10.33.56 AM.png

Screenshot for posterity!

It sits there, just above Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens, Profiles in Corruption: Abuse of Power by America's Progressive Elite by Peter Schweizer (note -- that is not an invitation to start discussing American politics on EN World), and Just Mercy: A Story of Justice and Redemption by Bryan Stevenson.

Last year, Critical Role's Kickstarter for an animated show based on their livestream smashed records and raised over $11,000,000. It then went on to get picked up by Amazon for a full series. While there are people on the web confidently declaring that this book will never sell, I think it's safe to say not only will it sell, it already has. Critical Role these days is a brand as strong as D&D itself. Indeed, a couple of years back when speaking to the Seattle Times, WotC indicated that more than 50% of new player watched live-streamed games.

Last edited:

TheSword

Legend
There are lots of popular things in this world that I have very little interest in. They’re not wrong for liking it, I’m not wrong for not liking it. My only concern is when an aspect of the hobby becomes synonymous with the whole.
However in this case it’s one or two books out of the dozen plus that have been released. Seems like a reasonable split.

I don’t think it’s unreasonable for for people to feel disappointed though when a limited release schedule means other projects are delayed because the March release slot gets used for something that is so very specific (similar to people not interested in Eberron or Dark sun if it gets released)

TheSword

Legend
I would also imagine the ranking will drop significantly after the launch week. I don’t have launch week stats but like movies I would imagine there is a significant spike. Have other D&D books not been similarly high on their launch days?

Matchstick

Adventurer
There are lots of popular things in this world that I have very little interest in. They’re not wrong for liking it, I’m not wrong for not liking it. My only concern is when an aspect of the hobby becomes synonymous with the whole.
However in this case it’s one or two books out of the dozen plus that have been released. Seems like a reasonable split.

I don’t think it’s unreasonable for for people to feel disappointed though when a limited release schedule means other projects are delayed because the March release slot gets used for something that is so very specific (similar to people not interested in Eberron or Dark sun if it gets released)
As mentioned in Mercer's post (and later backed up by a WotC tweet) this book had no effect on other planned releases.

"Believe you me, I’m one of the those who is ever-shouting “I want my Planescape/Dark Sun”, and said so loudly… multiple times while in the WotC offices. Know that my setting doesn’t eliminate, delay, or consume any such plans they may have for any future-such projects! I’m not stepping on such wonderful legacy properties, these same ones that inspired me growing up. This is just the new-kid stepping into that area and hoping one of the older kids will sit and have lunch with them. ;) If Wizards has any plans to release any of their much-demanded settings, they’ll come whether or not Wildemount showed up."

Maestrino

Explorer
I must admit, I have a hard time getting into Critical Role and this was a bit of a disappointing announcement. I've tried watching season 2 and don't really get past the first couple episodes. I'm not saying this to be a negative ninny. I have no grudges. WotC needs to sell to their audience's tastes and needs. I'll check it out at a bookstore and if I like what I see, I'll buy it. I just don't quite get the appeal of the show and feel there are better actual play streams/podcasts. However, I would love to be enlightened as to the show's virtues. Maybe I need to start with something else or give it more time. Thoughts?

I also had a really tough time getting into the second campaign. (I really enjoyed campaign 1.) It felt like they didn't know who the characters were yet, and the group just wasn't gelling together. It honestly took me until episode 26 or so to really get hooked on campaign 2.

Reynard

Legend
I also had a really tough time getting into the second campaign. (I really enjoyed campaign 1.) It felt like they didn't know who the characters were yet, and the group just wasn't gelling together. It honestly took me until episode 26 or so to really get hooked on campaign 2.
Is there a way to jump right in? is there a "the story thus far" type thing?

Henry

Autoexreginated
Is there a way to jump right in? is there a "the story thus far" type thing?
Several ways, actually.

These contain synopses of the various sessions for both the first and second campaigns, broken into rough "chapters." (ignore the chapter1-8 and chapter 9-16 business, if you just want the second campaign start with chapter 9, it's not vital to know anything from the first campaign, it just fills in Easter Eggs.)

Also,

Critical recap is a short vlog series hosted by one of the Critical Role Staff, Dani Carr, which gives quick synopses of all the sessions of campaign 2, from session 1 up to session 89. However, this vlog series was discontinued as of the end of 2019, so while it's quite current at this minute, they are switching to a written recap on their website after this point.

And finally, there are several creators on Youtube, particularly
Critical Role Memories

Nico Nielsen

And too many others to link to, who as a side devotion to their favorite streaming show create short clips of key moments or funny moments, of which there are THOUSANDS of clips. Long story short, if you are catching up, and reading one of the recaps, and a particularly moving or hilarious scene is referenced, there is a HIGH likelihood that you can search YouTube using keywords of the scene and you'll find it.

Should you decide to watch some of the old episodes archived on YouTube, frequently one or more of the commenters have made a post in the comments filled with time codes for key moments, as well if you want to skim the episode.

Good luck, and hope you find something you enjoy in it!

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases