Explorers of Calemor, Chapter 1: A View from Afar

RMcCall

Explorer
There is a saying that all adventures ultimately start in a tavern. Even if the heroes have been other places, or even if they forget about that particular encounter, the real catalyst for every journey happens in a tavern. There's a certain truth behind the myth, of course, as a large quantity of drink and gossip seem to create some sort of magical zone that begets adventures, but like every good rule this one has exceptions. In this case, for instance, the adventure began on top of a tavern.

The view of the city of Prensych was best from the roof of the Cactus Bowl Tavern. From there, you could see all the way to the barren desert to the north, and far into the mountainous Tywodlyd Forest. The adventurers, however, seemed to be more interested in the cloudy sky. The largest of the group, one with the face of a dragon but the body of a man (save for the scales totally covering his body, and the claws tipping his fingers and toes), held a piece of paper, the only treasure they had managed to procure from their last venture. As such, the mood on the roof was somewhat grumpy, perhaps even snarky, but a vague hope lingered among the group, for on that piece of paper was written the following thirty-five words:

On the roof of the Cactus Bowl, on the 5th of Seeding, when the moon is at its highest peak, watch the sky for the key to the greatest unclaimed treasure known to the world.

The dragonborn grunted. "I can't even see the moon through these dense clouds. Do we really think some treasure map is just going to fall from the sky?"

shamgar001

First Post
The dwarf next to him looked into his empty tankard with a frown. "Cuddent they'm 'ave at least asked us'ns to wait in a place wi' table service? Hurm." He dejectedly slumped in his chair. It was just as well. No treasure meant no money for more drinks. Stupid cave. Stupid parchment.

fireinthedust

Explorer
Oh come on, guys, it's not so bad! I mean, look at that view. It's... it's fantastic! The ardent named Elandra sighed deeply. It was the sort of thing, she'd learned, that people do when watching stars. I mean, sure we nearly died and all we have to show for it is a scrap of paper... but it's a prophecy! We're going to get rich just by standing here, the paper said so! I think we've lucked out: most adventurers have said they have to slog through danger, and monsters, and traps, and watching all their friends die horribly on the fangs and spells and weapons of peril... and all we have to do it stand here and we're done! I bet they'd feel pretty stupid that they're downstairs drinking and eating next to a fire, while we're up here on a roof waiting for treasure. I mean, if they could see us. If they knew. A bunch of people would feel like chumps if the people downstairs knew what we're doing up here.

Elandra was gorgeous, and tall, and usually better at helping her friends feel like... well, like not wandering off bitterly in all directions. She'd had a long day, though she still felt her usual vim and pep, and they'd had a much longer one filled with brutal trials and tests, triumphs, failures, and at the end massive disapointment. Still, she was their leader, and even in this their darkest hour she was determined to make them feel better. Logic was not her strong suit, despite her confidence that her words had convinced them, and she comfortably shifted back into her normal hopeful disposition.

So what are you going to spend your treasure on? I think I'll get something really... big!

shamgar001

First Post
Rogun started to feel better about the situation for a moment, but then realized that the ardent's mind-magic was about the only thing outside of alcohol that could cheer him up. He resented her briefly, then the resentment inexplicably disappeared.

Herobizkit

Adventurer
The metallic jackal Howl and his flesh-and-blood companion sat on the roof and stared up at the moon. He thought briefly of the reaction that the bar patrons had of having two "wild" animals entering the establishment, the shouting, the arguing... it was a relief to be out again under the open sky.

People made little sense to Howl, but these people, the ones on the roof beside him, they were his pack. If 'treasure' was what they sought, then treasure is what he would seek as well. He enjoyed the hunt, the thrill of the chase, and it sounded like he was in for a great one.

Howl's companion yawned, turned a few circles, then plopped down for some sleep. Sleep, he wondered... what does that feel like? It must be such a burden.

RMcCall

Explorer
The clouds part for a brief moment, allowing the moonlight to wash over the city. Something other than a cloud covers it back up, however. The shape emerges from the clouds above, flaps what appear to be long, black wings, and descends on the tavern. As it gets closer, the adventurers see that it is a person with wings for arms and a beak where their mouth should be. The birdfolk is wearing a silky gray cloak that flutters louder than his wings. He lands on the far side of the roof, stands upright, and examines the group assembled before him. The edges of his beak turn up into what looks like a wicked grin.

"I'm glad you received my message,"
he says. "If you were able to make your way safely through that cave, then you may be able to help me."

shamgar001

First Post
Rogun stood up abruptly, leaving his head at about the same height as it was when he was sitting.

"You'm be 'ee basturd 'oo built tha' deathtrap? Et tuk Oi foive hours t'get yourn doire leeches out'n moi beard, so et did!"

RMcCall

Explorer
"Built it? Of course not. I delved that dungeon just like you; in fact, I probably disabled some traps that would have caused you trouble. I was in need of treasure to fund a certain expedition of mine. I left that note because I knew that whoever could also make it through those tunnels would be talented enough to take the next step with me. You see..." The birdfolk leans in. "...I believe I have found the location of the lost horde of Nunpoldrn."

If the name was supposed to evoke wonder or amazement, it failed. If it was supposed to evoke confusion and curiosity, it certainly succeeded.

RMcCall

Explorer
The bird's eyes blink twice. "You've never heard of it? Really? I guess it's not that well known anymore...whatever. Nunpoldrn was a green dragon, though some tales say he was red and others say he was blue and others still say he was a giant landshark. Whatever he was, he amassed a huge horde of gold, jewels, and magic items by demanding tribute to prevent him from destroying cities. He was finally defeated by a group of adventurers, much like yourselves, who found his weakness, which is another insignificant matter that the stories can't agree on. The important part is that the heroes collected the treasure in a grand caravan to take it to their secret base where they would count it out, appraise the items, and so on."

He pauses for dramatic effect. "However, those heroes were never heard from again, and not a single copper coin from the horde was ever seen thereafter. No one knew where the heroes' secret base was, and no one ever found it. Until now." The birdfolk smiles and points a feathered finger out towards the desert. "I believe that their base was in the Vortex Desert. It's the perfect place to hide, no one would ever find the treasure, and...I have word that ruins have been found there that contain emblems similar to those the heroes of this tale were said to wear.

So, you in, or are you not up to a bit of a desert trek?"

Remove ads