Extended Flame Arrow?

Thanee

First Post
Can you use Extend Spell to increase the duration of Flame Arrow?

It states, that the flaming projectiles deal extra fire damage, if shot before the end of the next round. Duration is given as 1 round.

Can this duration be extended (or multiple extended) to last for a few more rounds?

That would allow for quite some extra damage from an archer type character!

Bye
Thanee

Shin Okada

Explorer
If you extend the duration, the projectile will be ignited when shot, even if it is fired, say, 2 rounds after. But it does not let the arrow do continual damage and such.

Li Shenron

Legend
Duration of 1 round for this spell is only the time limit before the end of which you must fire the arrows or lose the effect. Unfortunately the damage is not continual, so no benefits on it from an extended version. :)

Thanee

First Post
Continual Damage? Nah, that's not what I meant...

Of course, each arrow will deal damage just once.

The spell usually is of little benefit to a single character, since you get quite a few arrows but not enough time to fire them all.

If the duration could be extended to 3 rounds, for example, then you would probably be able to use all those arrows!

It's just the part of the spell, where it says, that the arrows have to be fired until the end of the next round, that makes me wonder. OTOH, that IS the duration of the spell, so it should work just fine, right?

Bye
Thanee

Uller

Adventurer
Yeah...you'd have more time to use the arrows. 2(or 3 or whatever) rounds instead of 1.

So...A Wiz8/Ftr2(BAB +6/+1) w/ Rapid Shot. Casts Haste + some other spell(True Strike?) Next round he casts an Extended Flame Arrow, give him 8 arrows that'll do +4 fire damage with 2 rounds to fire 'em and fires one arrow(at +26 plus other bonuses). The next round, he fires 4 shots at +6(haste)/+4/+4/-1 and the last round he can fire another 3 at +4/+4/-1 and cast another Extended Flame Arrow for another two rounds worth of arrows. (obviously, he'll have a bunch of other bonus...due to spells, dex, probably a magic bow and magic arrows, etc.)

That's a potential +64 fire damage(+128 against cold subtypes!) over 5 rounds(with no saves) with the use of three 3rd and 4th level spell slots. I'd say that is a neat way to boost damage, but you'd probably still be better off with someother spells.

Edit: Oops! Math is hard...

Last edited:

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
I would certainly allow it, as a creative use of the extend spell. After all, to get 3r to fire all the arrows you are giving up a 5th level spell, and you could equally be simply shooting 2-3 empowered fire bolts for 6d6 each instead :)

I know just what you mean - as it stands that version of the spell isn't much use unless you have lots of archers to hand.

Thanee

First Post
My current character has 14th caster level and uses her longbow in combat pretty much.

With this spell, I could boost her damage considerably, I believe.

14 arrows at +7 damage each over 4 rounds, including the initial round of casting (2x extended).

With an empowered fiery bolt, she'd do 12d6 x1.5 with a reflex (half) save.

The first would do a potential 98 damage (about 2 critical hits among those 14 arrows (18-20 critical) should more than balance the misses), while the latter would do an average of 63 damage (31 with a successful save) only.

Bye
Thanee

Remove ads