D&D General Extra DM equipment & tools

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
If I'm running from PDFs (which is often, these days - saves a lot of wear and tear on physical books), I bookmark up the PDF with Good Reader so I can jump around to the most relevant stuff of the current chapter quickly and easily.

I bring a small whiteboard for initiative tracking

A compartmentalized box of some sort for my pawns/tokens/paper minis

A Word document printout of all of the encounters - enables me to write on them as needed and track hit points and other forms of damage/conditions - plus generating it in the first place makes sure I've reviewed all of the encounter creatures/traps/stats

You can get laminating sheets on Amazon or any office supply store.
If you are cheap, don't buy laminating sheets. Buy clear shelf-lining paper at a kitchen supply store (or Amazon). The stuff is self sticking, clear. You can wet erase it (some brands will allow dry erase). You can cut it to any size you need. And it costs much less than laminating stuff.

toucanbuzz

No rule is inviolate
You guys are too nice to your tables. I don't use aids because it's all in my head. My players don't need music or ambiance because my verbal descriptions are so awesome they can hear the leather armor of the orcs creaking and smell the tang of their foot rot. Each player is permitted to bring a rock to represent their character. We don't need anyone pretending they're high-brow by bringing an expensive painted miniature and making the others feel bad. We don't need a grid or map because I'll tell them where they are and where they need to be.

And none of this playing the game virtually. We didn't play D&D by phone in my day. If you're going to let the party down by fumbling, yet again, you're going to be at the table so you can feel the disappointment radiating from your peers and feel the shame.

Remove ads