• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

FADED GLORY: The Black Eyes of the Demon Scorpion (FINISHED!)

Old One

First Post
nakia said:
Sorry it wasn't more successful. It sounds as if the fates conspired against you in your house hunting. And, again, sorry about your father-in-law. I'll be thinking about you and your wife during what has to be a difficult time.

You and your wife would be welcome in Rock Hill during any future trips down, of course.

Nakia,

Thanks much. All I can say is that I hope I go quick...the lingering/wasting thing is just terrible to watch. I hope your move goes well!

~ OO

Old One

First Post
Rel said:
You know, if that were to fall on or around September 23...

GAME DAY! ;)

Unfortunately (for you), we will be just ending our week in Tuscany (just outside Sienna)...sipping wine, hanging out by the pool, etc.

The place we are staying is here: Villa

I will have to pass this time ;)!

~ OO

Henry

Autoexreginated
Ya Lucky So-and-so's! :)

We'll miss you, but glad you're getting away from it all, just the same.

I can sympathize about the watching and waiting -- had to do it for my father 7 years ago, to the extent that I wasn't even there when he actually passed. But there's a lot of relief that they're not suffering, too.

Anyway, hope the second trip goes better.

Tony Vargas

Legend
Old One said:
Hmmm...that is what happens when you DM off the SRD...what are the specs on this?

~ OO

It's in the MM, and also in the Types, Subtypes & Special Abilities portion of the SRD under Improved Grab, it's been there in 3.0 & 3.5, and it's kinda important, because 1) really big creatures can grapple PCs without rolling around on the ground with them like they're play-wrestling a two-year-old, and 2) it cuts into the insane grapple bonuses such monsters tend to have:

"Improved Grab (Ex): If a creature with this special attack hits with a melee weapon (usually a claw or bite attack), it deals normal damage and attempts to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. No initial touch attack is required. Unless otherwise noted, improved grab works only against opponents at least one size category smaller than the creature. The creature has the option to conduct the grapple normally, or simply use the part of its body it used in the improved grab to hold the opponent. If it chooses to do the latter, it takes a –20 penalty on grapple checks, but is not considered grappled itself; the creature does not lose its Dexterity bonus to AC, still threatens an area, and can use its remaining attacks against other opponents. "

Now, it is an option, but, I'd expect most less intelligent creatures to do so more or less all the time (it should be instinctive, they mostly prey on smaller creatures, etc), and for intelligent ones to do so when facing multiple opponents, to avoid vulnerability.

nakia

First Post
Old One said:
Unfortunately (for you), we will be just ending our week in Tuscany (just outside Sienna)...sipping wine, hanging out by the pool, etc.

The place we are staying is here: Villa

I will have to pass this time ;)!

~ OO

Hanging out in an Italian villa is an acceptable reason for missing a game day, I think! Definitly let me know how that trip goes; Sarah and I have talked about renting a villa for our "big dream vacaction before we have kids."

And thanks for the move well wishes. I wish we could just go ahead and go; I feel like the guy hanging out after the dance is over, waiting for his ride to show up after everyone else has gone.

Old One

First Post
Tony Vargas said:
It's in the MM, and also in the Types, Subtypes & Special Abilities portion of the SRD under Improved Grab, it's been there in 3.0 & 3.5, and it's kinda important, because 1) really big creatures can grapple PCs without rolling around on the ground with them like they're play-wrestling a two-year-old, and 2) it cuts into the insane grapple bonuses such monsters tend to have:

"Improved Grab (Ex): If a creature with this special attack hits with a melee weapon (usually a claw or bite attack), it deals normal damage and attempts to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. No initial touch attack is required. Unless otherwise noted, improved grab works only against opponents at least one size category smaller than the creature. The creature has the option to conduct the grapple normally, or simply use the part of its body it used in the improved grab to hold the opponent. If it chooses to do the latter, it takes a –20 penalty on grapple checks, but is not considered grappled itself; the creature does not lose its Dexterity bonus to AC, still threatens an area, and can use its remaining attacks against other opponents. "

Now, it is an option, but, I'd expect most less intelligent creatures to do so more or less all the time (it should be instinctive, they mostly prey on smaller creatures, etc), and for intelligent ones to do so when facing multiple opponents, to avoid vulnerability.

Doh...

Um...er...well...these were super scorpions...yeah...that's it...with special grappling powers...yeah...'cause they had been trained for a long time :p!

I will remember that next time :eek:...

~ OO

Old One

First Post
Henry said:
Ya Lucky So-and-so's! :)

We'll miss you, but glad you're getting away from it all, just the same.

I can sympathize about the watching and waiting -- had to do it for my father 7 years ago, to the extent that I wasn't even there when he actually passed. But there's a lot of relief that they're not suffering, too.

Anyway, hope the second trip goes better.

Thanks, Henry.

It is very sad just kind of waiting for the inevitable :(...

We are really looking forward to the trip, however. Going with 3 other couples that are all long-time friends...should be a blast.

~ OO

Old One

First Post
nakia said:
Hanging out in an Italian villa is an acceptable reason for missing a game day, I think! Definitly let me know how that trip goes; Sarah and I have talked about renting a villa for our "big dream vacaction before we have kids."

And thanks for the move well wishes. I wish we could just go ahead and go; I feel like the guy hanging out after the dance is over, waiting for his ride to show up after everyone else has gone.

Nakia,

If you can get some other folks in on the trip...it makes it pretty cost effective. We are going with three other couples, so the lodging is only going to run ~ $1,000 per couple for the week. Not cheap, but I have paid the equivilent $145 a night for really crappy hotels before :p!

I did a fair amount of research before selecting the property vendor linked above, hopefully I chose well! We will let you guys know how it turns out.

~ OO

Henry

Autoexreginated
adamantineangel said:
September 23? Did y'all change it from September 10?

That's a very good question: The site still says September 10th.

Or are you mixing up April 23rd and September 10th?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads