Failing Forward

How do you feel about Fail Forward mechanics?

• I like Fail Forward

Votes: 74 46.8%
  • I dislike Fail Forward

Votes: 26 16.5%
  • I do not care one way or the other

Votes: 9 5.7%
  • I like it but only in certain situations

Votes: 49 31.0%

Sure they do. It's a game.
And that might be fine, from a game standpoint, or even from a story standpoint. I'm not talking about the game or the story, though. I say it's a silly world where those things happen, because they don't make sense from an in-setting perspective.

A world powered by narrative causality, where things happen because it's just a game or a story, is not a believable world. It's a silly world.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
And that might be fine, from a game standpoint, or even from a story standpoint. I'm not talking about the game or the story, though. I say it's a silly world where those things happen, because they don't make sense from an in-setting perspective.

A world powered by narrative causality, where things happen because it's just a game or a story, is not a believable world. It's a silly world.
Agreed.

That said, let's face it: sometimes silly has its place, and sometimes things *do* happen in my world just for gits and shiggles such as a random birthday cake floating by in midair because it happens to be one of the players' birthday; all involved accept that it's outside of the game-world norm (wild magic or capricious deities and all that) and just move on.

Lanefan

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
But in a game, 'defeat' - real defeat - I think needs to be an option on the table. I've seen 'fail forward' defined in ways that argue for failure to be succeeding at a cost, such that real failure is removed as an option.

I am not sure the fact that someone, somewhere, argues for something extreme, really is a basis for something we should worry about.

As a counter to that argument, let us look at actual implementations. I expect the most commonly used version of "succeed at cost" is probably found in FATE. And in that game, the implementation is that there are several levels of success, which we can usually paraphrase as failure, succeed at cost, success, and great success. Basically, the things that in other games are considered just barely failures, in FATE, tend to become "succeed at cost". Outright failure is actually still a possibility.

So, really, all you who are griping about failure being on the table - it usually still is. Don't get in a twist over it.

But in a game, 'defeat' - real defeat - I think needs to be an option on the table.

Note that "fail forward" is typically applied to *individual actions* - in most game terms, single die rolls. It does not generally apply to overall efforts. We are talking about having a way to progress in the middle of the story, not a way to ensure success at the end.

In my opinion, you can't really savor a character surviving if death never really was a meaningful possibility.

To continue my example, the Success at cost mechanic there will not save you from death. In most FATE variants, the mechanics take you to the point of being "taken out" and "success at cost" can't forestall that forever. At that point the character's continued existence (PC or NPC) is up to the person who took them out of the fight. If you want 'em dead, they're dead. If you want to incapacitate them, you incapacitate them.

kalil

Explorer
I like the concept of "fail foward" and I use it all the time. But, I disagree with the definition in the OP. "Succeed at a cost" is only one way to "fail forward" and it is often the least imaginative and fun way to do it. Failing spectacularly in such a way that it drives the story onwards in a new and unexpected direction is a lot more fun of players and GM alike.

dd.stevenson

Super KY
As far as fail forward D&D DM advice goes, I just stick the old standby: if you intend for the PCs to not fail, then don't roll dice.

I expect the most commonly used version of "succeed at cost" is probably found in FATE. And in that game, the implementation is that there are several levels of success, which we can usually paraphrase as failure, succeed at cost, success, and great success. Basically, the things that in other games are considered just barely failures, in FATE, tend to become "succeed at cost". Outright failure is actually still a possibility.

I'm really unclear on what a fail forward mechanic would look like, other than a degrees of success/failure style rule. Are there other forms it can take? Are we classifying GUMSHOE's skill system as fail forward?

kalil

Explorer
I'm really unclear on what a fail forward mechanic would look like, other than a degrees of success/failure style rule. Are there other forms it can take? Are we classifying GUMSHOE's skill system as fail forward?

IMHO "fail forward" is not a game mechanic, it is a GMing practice.

Reinhart

First Post
IMHO "fail forward" is not a game mechanic, it is a GMing practice.

Basically, it is a philosophy and practice for GM's. But that doesn't mean it can't be integrated into system as well. I think Gumshoe actually is a good example of a Fail Forward system because random dice and resources only decide the consequences of obtaining a clue, not whether the necessary clue becomes available.

Reinhart

First Post

As usual, I would caution to take his writings with a grain of salt. Unfortunately for the way the web is structured, it's easier to find more articles misrepresenting Fail Forward and criticizing it for what it isn't than the sites that clearly explain what it is and how to use it. I know, I just tried to find one. Perhaps someone here should get on that problem and actually write a how-to guide.

Remove ads