D&D 5E Fair Undead encounter for 1st or 2nd level charterers

genoside07

First Post
In the monster manual, it states the challenge level is equal to a party of four required level for a even fight.
But what about mixing levels?? I am sure this information will be in the dungeon masters guide but that is still a months away. What I am hoping to do is a starting encounter for beginner players with a necromancer in a grave yard raising zombies and skeletons. I don't want to overload and scare players away from the new system, but don't want it to be a cake walk either.
Any suggestions on the math??

Paraxis

Explorer
I like to use this website to build encounters you can filter based on type like undead and CR rating like 2 and less.

http://asmor.com/5e/monsters/#/main

Besides just making sure the encounter budget is followed, I would do a few things to make the encounter interesting.

Waves of undead, the area already has undead and the necromancer, but a second and possibly a third wave of undead are only a few rounds away from coming out of the earth or off slabs.

Environment, have big tombstones for cover, open graves as pits, stone gargoyles above key positions that could be knocked over, ground with skeletal hands grasping out that acts as difficult terrain and if you don't make a dex save it restrains you.

The necromancer could have an object that helps protect the undead from turning, like a black skull with runes or a jack-o-lantern.

Pacing will be key, keep the players from getting to the necromancer right away, but not overwhelm them all in one round, so use the waves of undead to stretch out the encounter.

If things get to rough have something placed nearby in the graveyard that acts as a sanctuary for them to fall back into, like a shrine or crypt that is warded.

The_Gneech

Explorer
First level characters are mighty squishy in 5E. If you want a big, flashy fight, I recommend:

1. Skeletons are CR 1/4, so if you want to throw them at the party, start with the necromancer in some kind of "dark shield" magic and just send a wave of 2-3 skellys by themselves at the PCs while they can still escape if they have to. This will teach them what they need to know about skeletons and be a good appetizer. (Hard encounter, 300 XP)
  2. The "Evil Mage" from the Starter Set is CR 1, so he's pretty much a solo at this stage. I'd suggest using the Acolyte from the MM, and ruling that his Cure Wounds also works on undead, and then give him a pair of skelly guards as backup. Make sure the party is able to refresh before going into this. (Again, a hard encounter, 300 XP)
  3. If you want to increase the pressure, have the necromancer "open a portal" or have a black cauldron or some such, that produces one (extremely weak) skeleton per round, to a maximum of two, as long as the necromancer is alive. The weak skelly has disadvantage on all actions and only 1 hp. This will probably bump it up to a deadly (400 XP) encounter or worse, so give them some way to get out if things start going pear-shaped.
  4. Make sure the PCs have a cleric among them (or an NPC cleric with them) and are fresh for the fight.

-The Gneech :cool:

EDIT:

PS: Everything [MENTION=13009]Paraxis[/MENTION] said is good, too! Do that. ;)

Last edited:

Kai Wren

First Post
I think we also need to know where the charterers are planning to take these undead, and the means of locomotion intended to take them there.

It is probably going to be easier to charter a small wagon and a couple of horses to the next village over - I'd rule that as a reasonable expectation for a 1st level party. If the undead are insisting on chartering a full caravan across the continent, that's going to be difficult to deal with. Characters will also need to bear in mind the reaction from the local populace and any other passengers; it is probably worth giving them access to some perfumes or flowers to try and hide the smell, heavy and baggy clothing etc.

Remember that any accountants get a bonus on chartering across the Accountant Sea - if they don't mind the risk of coming across the Crimson Permanent Assurance, but that is probably a higher level encounter (8-12 depending on size of the fund).

Remove ads