• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Fairies and Sidhe(Full Draft of the Fairy Revised added)

Merlion

First Post
Ok heres my first rough draft of the Fairy. Tell me what you think.

Fairy
Medium-size Fey
Hit Dice: 6d6+6(22 HP)
Initiative: +8 (+4 Dex, +4 Improved Initiative)
Speed: 50 ft, Fly 80 ft (good)
AC: 20 (+4 Dex, +6 Deflection)
Attacks: Maddening Touch +5 melee touch
Damage: Maddening touch 1d6 Wis damage
Face/Reach 5ft/5ft 5ft
Special Attacks: Maddening Touch, Spell-like abilities, Spells
Special Qualities: Damage Reduction 5/Iron, Immune to Mind Effecting Effects, Planewalk, Iron Vulnerability, Defensive Aura
Saves: Fort +3 Ref +9 Will +9
Abilities: Str 15 Dex 18 Con 13 Int 18 Wis 18 Cha 22
Skills: Animal Empathy +10, Bluff +16, Concentration +7, Diplomacy +16, Handle Animal +8, Knowledge(Arcana) +12, Knowledge(Nature) +12, Listen +16, Move Silently +16, Perform(Melody, dance, bagpipes, flute, harp, 3 others) +20, Search +10, Sense Motive +12, Spellcraft +14, Spot +16, Survival +10

Climate/Terrain: Any land (usually forest)
Organization: Solitary, Band (2-4)
Challenge Rating:
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Usually Chaotic (any) (good)
Advancement: By character class.

The Fairies are among the aristocrats of fey society. Ancient and powerful, most fairies are indifferent or even benevolent towards humans. Some however are evil and sadistic, spiriting humans away to act as slaves within the Fairies own strange world. They can appear in any humanoid form, but in their true shape they appear as extremely beautiful fair-haired fair-skinned mortals. A Fairy can sprout shimmering insect-like wings at will, which disappear in a shower of rainbow light whenever they are no longer needed.
The Fairies live in their own misty world, a plane apart from but connected to our own. Like most fey the Fairies are deeply connected to nature. However the Fairies also have a strong connection to magic, especially illusions, charms, and transformational magic. Fairies generally stay invisible to mortals when in our world, but some times erratically choose mortals to reveal themselves to, whom they some times choose to favor with magical gifts or ancient knowledge.
Fairies also come to our world to dance, usually in forest clearings on moonlight evenings, leaving behind only a ring of toadstools to mark their presence next morning. Mortals are well advised not to interfere with fairy dances, as the fairies touch can rapidly rob a man of his senses, forcing him to join in the dance…which usually results in death or permanent madness.

Combat:

Fairies rarely engage in direct combat preferring to use their powers of charm and illusion to confuse their foes into frustration. Fairies who have become displeased with a mortal often appear to the person in a guise other than their own and subject him to their maddening touch, making him more susceptible to their other powers.

Defensive Aura: Fairies add their Charisma modifier, if positive, as a deflection bonus to Armor Class.

Impervious Mind (Su): The powerful alien minds of the Fairies make them immune to all mind effecting spells and effects

Maddening Touch(Su): a living sentient being touched by a Fairy takes 1d6 points of Wisdom damage. A successful save reduces this damage by half.

Iron Vulnerability: In addition to bypassing their damage reduction, iron weapons deal double normal damage to Fairies, and when struck by such a weapon the Fairy must make a Fortitude save or be stunned and unable to use their magical powers for the round after being struck. Magical affects created by a Fairy whether through spells or spell like abilities can be dispelled by the touch of iron. The iron must be touched to an affected creature or object, or thrust into the area of effect of a spell. Treat this as a targeted dispel magic with a caster level of 12.
Steel is less effective against Fairies then pure cold iron. Steel bypasses only 2 points of a fairies DR and does only 1 and a half times normal damage. Additionally when steel is used to attempt to dispel fairy magic, the dispel check suffers a -4 penalty

Planewalk(Su): A Fairy can move at will between the misty home of the Fairies and the Material Plane, or use Etherealness at will as a move action. Additionally once per day they may Planeshift as the spell cast by a 20th level sorcerer.

Spell-like abilities(Sp): at will: Alter Self, Charm Person, Dancing Lights, Detect Magic, Detect Thoughts. Ghost Sound, Improved Invisibility, Obscuring Mist, Sleep, True Seeing. 3/day: Bestow Curse, Charm Monster, Confusion, Dimension Door, Dream, Emotion, Hold Monster, Hold Person, Mirage Arcana, Persistent Image, Phantasmal Killer, Seeming. 1/day: Control Weather, Insanity, Otto’s Irresistible Dance, Weird. Caster level 18.Base save DC: 16+ Spell level

Spells: A Fairy can cast spells as either a 6th level bard or a 6th level sorcerer. Most continue to progress in that class throughout their lives. Each level taken ads to their natural spellcasting abilities, so a Fairy who takes 4 levels of Bard casts spells as a 10th level Bard. Fairies favor Enchantment, Illusion, and Transmutation magic. A Fairy who casts spells as a Bard also has the Bardic Music ability of a Bard of the same level.

Skills: a Fairy receives a +4 racial bonus on all Bluff, Diplomacy, Listen, Move Silently, Perform, Search and Spot checks, and a +2 racial bonus on all Animal Empathy, Handle Animal, Sense Motive, and Spellcraft checks. This is figured into the above statistics

The alignment thing was tough. In my campaign thier isnt going to be Law or Chaos. in my world most Fey are more or less good with some evil ones.
I'm not really happy with the skills either.

Last edited:

Drakstern

First Post
If you're going to do the Sidhe style creatures, they'd probably be, more powerful than that, especially if you were going ot have the Sidhe nobles. Those guys were some of the most powerful creatures in that mythology.

They'd also have extremely high charisma, and so would make very good sorcerors, so the idea of having them cast spells as a 6th level sorceror sounds like a good idea.

As for spell-like abilities, lots of non-combat things, and a few flashy spells to cow or back off any threats.

Merlion

First Post
Yea I want to kind of represent the various shadings of power level...I want them to be more of a race than a "creature"...the 2 or 3 hd would just be the base...most of them would have class levels mainly in Sorcerer.
the Fairies and the Sidhe will be pretty simliar...I see the Fairies as more ephemeral and borderline incorporeal-ish and the Sidhe a litte less so. I might decide to just do one or the other....I'm not actualy that great at DMing...I have trouble with plots...but I have loads of ideas for a world and all..and some changes to the classes and general feel of things. their will be lots of fey, but in DnD they have yet to print many of the non almost-comic fey...so I am trying to create my vision of how they'd be.

Drakstern

First Post
That sounds good.

One thing I'd say is to give the higher HD ones Geas as a spell like ability once per day. It's very powerful, but it fits the Sidhe flavor. After all, many a hero went to them for guidance and ended up with a quest.

Merlion

First Post
Yea that is probably apropriate for both Fairies and Sidhe..thanx for pointing that out it might have slipped my mind

Gez

First Post
I was going to post the same link as Cheiromancer. Bah, here it is anyway, but you won't even have to scroll down:

The Sidhe.

(What I like with vBulletin is toying with parameters on the URL line.)

Merlion

First Post
Well I have finaly got round to working on my Fairies. Nothing very cohesive yet. I am basicaly just making notes and writing an outline which I will slowly pull together into a proper statblock. So I am going to post my notes here and keep them updated via edits till I get the finish product. Heres the first bunch:

Fairy

Ability Scores:
Strength 15 Dexterity 18 Constitution 13 Intelligence 18 Wisdom 18 Charisma 22

Spell like abilities: At will: Charm Person, Detect Magic, Detect Thoughts, Alter Self, Ghost Sound, Dancing Lights, Obscuring Mist, Sleep, Invisibility. 3 times/day: Emotion, Dispel Magic, Bestow Curse, Dimension Door, Charm Monster, Hold Monster, Hold Person, Dream/Nightmare, Mirage Arcana, Persistent Image, Seeming, Phantasmal Killer1/day: Geas, Control Weather, Otto’s Irresistible Dance, Weird.

Immune to mind affecting affects.
DR 5/Iron

Iron Vulnerability: In addition to bypassing their damage reduction, iron weapons deal double normal damage to Fairies, and when struck by such a weapon the Fairy must make a Fortitude save or be stunned and unable to use their magical powers for 1 round. Magical affects created by a Fairy whether through spells or spell like abilities can be dispelled by the touch of iron. The iron must be touched to an affected creature or object, or thrust into the area of effect of a spell. Treat this as a targeted dispel magic with a caster level equal to the character level of the character wielding the iron.
Steel is less effective against Fairies then pure cold iron. Steel bypasses only 2 points of a fairies DR and does only 1 and a half times normal damage. Additionally when steel is used to attempt to dispel fairy magic, the dispel check suffers a -6 penalty

Planewalk: a Fairy may Planeshift once per day, and use Etherealness at will.

Casts spells as a 6th level sorcerer or bard. Each level gained in the class of choice later adds 1 to effective level for spellcasting purposes.

Cha mod as deflection bonus to AC

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads