• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Fall Ceramic Dm™ - Winner!

maxfieldjadenfox

First Post
tadk said:
This will be my 4th year participating

Year 1 a 25k some complete story
Year 2 Barely past the outline stage
Year 3 last year, broke 50k with a steampunkish novel that needs about 12k more words to finish the last part using the descendant of Jack the Ripper as my hero
This year
Back in, logged in, posted in the writers groups for EnWorld NaNoWriMo so go post there so we can cheer each other one.

Tkelson on NaNo

Cool. I didn't know there was an EN World writers group. Thanks for mentioning it.

MarauderX

Explorer
BardStephenFox said:
This judgement is a tough one.

Stop the toiling, make a judgement with a few sentences for each story and move on. We don't want you getting burned out on Round 1, Set 3 when there are many more to come. Sure the extra feedback is nice, but I'm not here to read that; I want to read and write more short stories! :)

Tolen Mar

First Post
The heck with set 3, those of us over here in set 5 and 6 are the ones you gotta worry about throwing a rebellion out of boredom. :D

yangnome

First Post
MarauderX said:
Stop the toiling, make a judgement with a few sentences for each story and move on. We don't want you getting burned out on Round 1, Set 3 when there are many more to come. Sure the extra feedback is nice, but I'm not here to read that; I want to read and write more short stories! :)
I disagree. I'd rather have well thought out criticism than just a sentence or two with a decision, especially after waiting all this time. I don't see myself moving on with the two excellent stories I was up against, but I would like to get something out of my efforts.

yangnome said:
I disagree. I'd rather have well thought out criticism than just a sentence or two with a decision, especially after waiting all this time. I don't see myself moving on with the two excellent stories I was up against, but I would like to get something out of my efforts.

I try to keep my judgements relatively short -- what worked, what didn't, strengths, weaknesses, any glaring omissions or things I was confused about, lines that I especially liked, etc.

I'm certainly willing to provide more detail if desired, but as a judge I feel I have to be careful to seperate what a story could be 'if only' from what it actually was as-posted. It's easy to cross the line from judge to editor and start reading more into a story than is really there.

That said, if, once someone is out of the running, they want to engage in a constructive discussion about their story, I'd be happy to expand my critique.

maxfieldjadenfox

First Post
Yeah, I'm kinda with Yangnome. While a judgement would be nice... A clear and detailed critique is so useful that I'm willing to wait (Taps foot impatiently) for a little while.

yangnome

First Post
Rodrigo Istalindir said:
I try to keep my judgements relatively short -- what worked, what didn't, strengths, weaknesses, any glaring omissions or things I was confused about, lines that I especially liked, etc.

I'm certainly willing to provide more detail if desired, but as a judge I feel I have to be careful to seperate what a story could be 'if only' from what it actually was as-posted. It's easy to cross the line from judge to editor and start reading more into a story than is really there.

That said, if, once someone is out of the running, they want to engage in a constructive discussion about their story, I'd be happy to expand my critique.
I'm familiar with your judging style and it is fine. It was more an answer to the "just post a decision" suggestion above. I'd like to see some comments on strengths and weaknesses that go a bit further than 'I thought Sialia and ranger Wickett's stories were better than yours.'

Aris Dragonborn

First Post
maxfieldjadenfox said:
I'm sure all of you know, but just in case it slipped by one of you, NaNoWriMo is taking sign ups for November... Write 50,000 words in a month. Might be a great kick in the pants, eh?

I just signed up for this, under the username Stormdragon.
Right now, my brain is screaming at me, wondering what the hell I was doing, but this should be fun.

I mean, 50k words in a month? 1700 words a day? There goes my social life.

Oh, that's right. I don't have a social life.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads