Fallout 3 - Today's the day!

DonTadow

First Post
You will probably see it on the PS3 eventually. It's just going to be a year later or something like that.

Given that the primary program is done for the PS3 + near zero distribution cost + no game store middleman, means that the DLC is going to be essentially free money. So you will see it, you'll just have to wait for the exclusivity period MS bribed them for, to expire.

The problem with fallout is the problem with the ps3 during launch, for some reason they aren't buying the eclusive rights like they did with the ps2. With the ps2, they through money to konami, square, capcom, even some ea titles. Thsi tme around they just aren't doing it, and microsoft sees how the game is playing and is flat out buying exluclision rights. The fallout dlc exclusion rights don't have an expiration date, so unless microsoft has a change of hearts, which i don't see, we won't be seeing it. Essenitally microsoft has spent the big money to either have exclusive rights or to multiplatform other games.

Aus_Snow

First Post
Ah, OK. Just a thing I heard being made a fuss of, a while back. Like it was a big deal, or a big loss perhaps. Anyway, I didn't bother looking into it any further, because it has literally no impact on me, whatever the case.

But thanks for clearing that up.

Rackhir

Explorer
Actually game consoles being sold at a loss are a relatively recent development.

Acts of Gord - The Book of Chronicles

(the rest of the web site is VERY funny as well).

The problem with fallout is the problem with the ps3 during launch, for some reason they aren't buying the eclusive rights like they did with the ps2.

I don't think "buying" exclusivity is the entire story frankly. With the previous generation the X-box was a complete flop in japan and MS was persona non grata over there. Even with the most recent generation, up until most recent price cut the 360 was getting beaten in sales in japan by the PS2. Unit sales were in the hundreds per month. It has been taking off much more, there since then and MS has spent considerable time and effort for this generation courting the japanese developers.

Also for some reason US developers seem to be much more dominant this time around for some reason and MS has always had much more pull/influence with them, for obvious reasons.

Sony came into the previous generation with an ENORMOUS commanding lead and the PS2 sold like hotcakes. They were really the only game in town for most of the previous gen. At the start MS was an unknown quantity (in the console world), not exactly well liked in the developer's community and Nintendo was following an expensive flop (n64) with a clearly second rate system (gamecube). It's been far more mixed tale this time around and Sony has done a lot to piss off developers over the previous two generations.

That said the economics of things pretty much dictate that they are going to have to grab all the money they can. So I am confident that you will see the DLC for Fallout 3 on the PS3, but you may well have to wait for quite a while for it.

Nebulous

Legend
This utility is awesome. I never purchase a game now before I run this on my system to see if I can run it.

I like that it shows you how you stack up against the minimum AND recommended system requirements.

Holy Mommajamma. That utility IS awesome! Thanks.

Aus_Snow

First Post
Operation: Anchorage DLC is available on Game for Windows Live and XBox live.

However, I have no idea why I have to install a piece of Microsoft spyware on my machine and pay "800 points" to get it. It's not free? Can someone that has a clue explain?
Well, Microsoft plans to own you body and soul, obviously.

As for DLC costing money. . . don't expansion packs and stuff like that usually cost money, like, for most games. . .? :confused:

Regardless, you can get plenty of free mods for Fallout 3 (thanks to the GECK, and thousands of people with too much free time :uhoh: er. . .) if cost is the thing that's bugging you most of all. They won't be in the same league, of course, but some of them are pretty neat.

Hm, if you're running Windows, or some kind of Windows compatibility, that is.

Felon

First Post
Tell me about it. It still irks me. I keep reading forums wandering if they changed their mind. Trying t osee if there was some quest i missed. I don't know how i got the red headed step child of the video game industry.
Well, MS gets to double-dip both console and PC gamers. That's the MS advantage. There'll be an MS-exclusive new set of chapters for GTAIV in a few weeks as well.

Felon

First Post
Operation: Anchorage DLC is available on Game for Windows Live and XBox live.

However, I have no idea why I have to install a piece of Microsoft spyware on my machine and pay "800 points" to get it. It's not free? Can someone that has a clue explain?
Worse still, there's more DLC coming in February and March. The one in March will continue the game past the widely-criticized ending (which I havne't experienced yet) and expands the level cap to 30.

Of course, this is all part of the MS strategy: never give anything away for free if you don't have to. They'd make peculiar crack dealers.

Then again, the decision of whether or not to charge for DLC is usually left in the vendors' hands. Bethesda gave some of the Oblivion DLC away for free during a small window, then later would start charging. And then it all culminates in an "Ultimate" pack that incorporates all of the DLC to date for the price of just the original, much to the annoyance of fans who paid for everything piecemeal.

Last edited:

Remove ads