Famous people who play D&D.

TheBadElf

First Post
We can add George R.R. Martin to the confirmed list; I'm too lazy to track it down right now, but I've seen at least one interview with him in which he talks about playing in a superhero campaign that was ths inspiration for the Wild Cards anthology series. IIRC his character was the Great and Powerful Turtle.

Keeper of Secrets

First Post
I guess it is not too far out of th question to assume that celebrities (or anyone) under the age of 40 has had some experience with RPGs. I know a lot of people who are not gamers really but they have had some exposure to the game in junior high or high school and had fun or appreciated it a little bit.

I feel sorry for any avid gamer who is really famous who wishes they could go to a convention and just play without being swamped with fans or who not let them get any gaming done. If Robin Williams wants to go to a Warhammer tourny then he is kind of out of luck if he expects to just be able to play and have a good time.

johnsemlak

First Post
Is R.A. Salvatore famous enough (or just too obvious)? Robert Jordan as well.

I would think most fantasy novelists nowadays have had some exposure to gaming.

francisca

I got dice older than you.
I believe Robert Asprin, and others involved with getting Thieve's World off the ground gamed together. Can't recall where I saw that, however. So consider it rampant speculation.

UPDATE: Confirmed. In the forward to the original Thieve's World Boxed set Asprin talks about what he learned as a gamemaster, and how it influenced the TW project.

It also just dawned on me that one of the reasons I love that set so much: the authors. Asprin, Abbey, Offutt, and Poul Anderson all contributed to the work.

Last edited:

Dinkeldog

Sniper o' the Shrouds
Jdvn1 said:
Golly, Darkness. We've all forgotten everything. Socrates taught that universal knowledge is inside all of us, but we just don't remember any of it. So we ask each other questions in the Socratic method in order to tease the Truth out of us.

Socrates didn't have as much to learn. :)

Dinkeldog

Sniper o' the Shrouds
johnsemlak said:
Is R.A. Salvatore famous enough (or just too obvious)? Robert Jordan as well.

I would think most fantasy novelists nowadays have had some exposure to gaming.

I would think so, too. Raymond Feist's Magician books were taken directly from his Midkemia campaign, as legend goes.

Ry

Explorer
Didn't Spielburg use to play? He was going to put it in E.T. except TSR was dumb and wanted to charge him lots of money.

Steverooo

First Post
shaylon said:
Claudia Christian from Babylon 5 is probably the most famous LARPer (live action).

She played some RPG, too. It wasn't D&D, it was something you've probably never heard of... It used to be advertised on her web site (but it's no longer there, I just checked). It has probably gone belly-up. Still, she GMed it, at some Con...

Remove ads