Famous people who play D&D.

kenobi65

First Post
shaylon said:
I have heard that Curt Shilling, the professional baseball player, is an avid D&D as well as everquest fan.

I've never heard that Schilling plays RPGs, but he *is* the owner of Multi-Man Publishing, which has taken over the publishing of the classic wargame Advanced Squad Leader.

whydirt

First Post
Henry said:
If he thinks D&D is a "nerd's activity", remind him that it's a fairly prevalent pastime among U.S. soldiers. It's also not that long ago when (according to Dave Arneson, that is) that most Nuclear subs had a D&D group stationed on them. :)
What, soldiers can't also be nerds?

shaylon

First Post
Of course this info is unconfirmed, but reports of famous people who game are all over the net. Obviously this isn't all D&D gaming, but gaming nonetheless. I was looking for the Curt Schilling interview I read on Allakhazam.com where he discussed EQ and D&D, but I cannot find it yet. If I find it, I will post that as well.

pasted...
There was a topic about famous people who play role-playing games. I was surprised at the confirmed ones. Probably the best known gamer is Robin Williams. It's a confirmed established fact that he plays Warhammer, Cyberpunk 2020, and used to play GURPS. Wil Wheaton (err, Wesley Crusher from a long time ago?) plays D&D3E, posts to RPG.net from time to time, coded his own website in php, and is a strong Libertarian. Claudia Christian from Babylon 5 is probably the most famous LARPer (live action). Jaques Villeneuve, the CART racecar driver, GMs Shadowrun. Curt Schilling, world series winning MLB pitcher, is a rabid wargaming fan--he even bought an ailing company and delayed a Spring Training in order to finish research on Dutch and Polish WW2 vehicles. The 'short guy' on Ally Macbeal plays Birthright. Michael Stipe sang about Rifts and one guy from Weezer talked D&D a while back in an interview, even describing his character. Vin Diesel is a confirmed gamer. Others who may game or may have gamed in the past: George R.R. Martin, Kobe Bryant, Lexa Doig, Tim Zahn, Andy Richter, Courteney Solomon, Justin Whalen, Joss Whedon, Drew Carey, Henry Thomas, Kevin Smith and Jason Mewes, Tom Morello, Matt Groening, Mike Myers, Bobby McFerrin, Jon Spencer...
end pasted...

-Shay

shaylon

First Post

DarrenGMiller

First Post
Ed Robertson of the band Barenaked Ladies.

Okay, so he is not universally famous, but they are (IMO) a good band.

As far as the actors go, according to "30 Years of Adventure" it seems pretty common for actors and movie people to be gamers.

DM

Remove ads