D&D 5E Fan work policy?

trancejeremy

Adventurer
Bear in mind, at one time, TSR did have a policy against fan works. Places like the house rules forum here would have been hit by a cease & desist notice and/or angry email from Sean Reynolds. Eventually they "compromised" by allowing certain designated places to host such material.

Not charging money for stuff is still copyright infringement. It's just some companies realize that it's not worth hassling their fans over.

Last edited:

pogre

Legend
Thanks all!

Morrus largely answered my question.

I am familiar with the legal issues - I promise.

It's not that big of a deal for me. There really is no major benefit to me - I just like putting my stuff out there for others to use and abuse as they see fit. I'll sit tight until WOTC does something official for 5th or chooses not too. ;)

Grazzt

Demon Lord
Bear in mind, at one time, TSR did have a policy against fan works. Places like the house rules forum here would have been hit by a cease & desist notice and/or angry email from Sean Reynolds. Eventually they "compromised" by allowing certain designated places to host such material.

Not charging money for stuff is still copyright infringement. It's just some companies realize that it's not worth hassling their fans over.

Actually, SKR was the one that came in and helped fix the TSR internet crap, wasn't he? It was Rob Repp that would've sent the nasty-grams out and stuff (because it was his job not because he enjoyed it I would imagine).

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases