Fantasy Arms Race, Round Two

GladiusNP

First Post
The state of the world to the east of Cressia....

Very Long.

My preference would be for portals to the plane of law rather than a fortress. I also think that this time, we should state the outcome first. Not the exact details, but what we want the general flow of the round to be - do we want Greater Cressia to expand, does the Khanate break up into satellite states, etc.

With regard to Stempan cosmology….

The city-states have now developed beyond their former allegiances to one god, but the pantheon still has its conflicts. Most are now dealt with as debate – within the great Basilica at Lesthen, where all of the ten lesser gods are honoured, under the guiding hand of fate itself. Stempans believe that humans are formed of tiny pieces of the divine – a substance called pneuma.

Most Clerics follow one god – dispensing advice and teaching the advantages that the god offers through their portfolio, and are referred to as priests, as opposed to oracles. They also respect the fates, and the other lesser gods. They serve as judges for matters that fall within their god’s purview. For example, a Cleric of Beros (often called a Pursier) will witness contracts, adjudicate trade disputes, collect coin offerings, offer blessings on mercantile ventures, and show how offerings and praise of Beros can lead to a rich and successful life. On the other hand, a Priestess of Crossus might teach athletes, show others how to develop their bodies, adjudicate over races and competitions, and show the rewards of offerings to Crossus (strength, glory, sporting ability.)

The most influential Clerics are the oracles. Twelve years after the first Cressian-Khanate War, the former dogma of the church (originally called the Mycelien Orthodoxy, now more commonly called the Mycelien Heresy), which was that each city was one god’s pneuma, was discarded upon the epiphany of the Three Sisters. The revelation of the three Sisters of Fate, a higher order of goddess, lead to the centralisation of the Stempan religion with the belief that all Stempans were of the Three Sister’s pneuma, and provided a valuable assist to the Concord.

(Note – the Cressians’ knowledge of roads spread to the Stempa. This also helped the city-states join together.)

The Oracles are now considered to worship all gods, and are believed to have influence / insight to the fate of each person. An oracle being present at the birth of a child is often asked to read the signs of the child’s fate. Most full oracles are found at the Lesthen Basilica, but acolytes of the Three Sisters work throughout Stempa, mainly as civil servants.

Offerings are made to the lesser gods whose favour a Stempan wishes to receive. The gods are not particularly jealous of each other, save for Arcsos. Beros, Ephros and Mastos are the most popular gods for offerings. Neglect may bring ruin, or is blamed for such the majority of the time. The Fates are considered to be above influence in human affairs, so no one sacrifices to them.

Arcsos – Lost all of his worshippers in the sacking of Thelia. Formerly, Arcsos was the god of revenge, warfare and law. Now a very minor god – only a small fanatical cult of Thelian descendants follow him. Followers still seek revenge against the Ta’Jinn, and the Ausel. Form a small subversive cell within the general Concord of Stempa.

Beros – One of the most popular gods, Beros is the Lord of Coin and Trade. Watches over all contracts, transactions, and sales. False measurement is never conducted in front of a statue of Beros (Stempans believe this will cause bankruptcy); so canny Ta’Jinn merchants from the Heaven River Consortiums always carry a small idol of Beros.

Crossus – The most athletic of the Stempan pantheon. The god of both strength and athleticism. The Stempan delegation to the Olympics dedicates their performance at the games every year to him. The ogres who live in Stempa mostly worship Crossus, in his aspect as a god of might.

Cumidne – A minor goddess, she is the Lady of Secret Knowledge, and the sky. Also considered to be the mage’s god in Stempa. She is also the patron of learning, so schools often have an icon of her over the doorway.

Epardne – Goddess of healing. Worshipped by many when a relative falls sick, though few remain devoted to her all their lives – considering it almost to be an invitation of sickness. Her clerics, despite this superstition, are rarely sick, and heal others. Are often expert surgeons, despite their magical abilities.

Ephros – Lord of the harvest, seasons, and change. Considered to be a somewhat fickle god. Many offerings are made to him at Temples, praying for a good harvest. His clerics are known as harbingers of some great alterations – for good or for ill.

Iradne – has assumed the warfare portion of Arcsos’ portfolio completely. Is a just and righteous warrior, and all Stempan soldiers call upon her in battle. A particularly righteous and fearsome warrior is “favoured of Iradne,” a title conferred by her church.

Mastos – god of the forge, the earth, and craft. The last of the ‘big three’ of the Stempan gods. Prayed to by Stempan crafts folk.

Pisenes – Sailors pray to Pisenes when they fear the ocean, Sirene when they give thanks for its’ bounty. Pisenes is the lord of storms and the ocean, formerly called Piscenes. Also a minor figure in some Cressian cults in southern Cressia. Some of the more northern Cressian cults’ worship of ‘the Fishlord’ is also an aspect of Pisenes.

Sirene – The goddess of ocean bounty, tides, and the moon. Fishermen pray to her, all giving thanks when the ocean gives a good harvest. Considered kinder than Ephros.

With regard to the Rise and (future) Fall of the Ta’Jinn empire….

The Ta’Jinn Centaurs are like Alexander the Great, really good at conquering an Empire, but not so effective at administrating it. Heaven River has become the centre of the Empire, with lots of wealth and trade coming into the largest city in the region – probably the capital of the empire. In these modern times, trade is vastly more important. Centaurs aren’t really that interested, but the humans of the Heaven River Valley sure are.

They are going to become more powerful, and perhaps a bit more elitist. The centaurs still form the majority of the armies, and have many in positions of power, but the Heaven River humans now provide the bulk of the bureaucrats, administrators and civil servants. This is a subtle, but still important, shift in power. Also, trade routes have become very well established, and a city has developed upon the least hostile part of the Empty Quarter, on the trade route. The cult of Arcsos, Jinn mercenaries, Ausel arms-dealers, and Cressian expatriates all live here, in the city of Aroch.

I feel that we should use all 6th level spells for the next round (in the main traditions of each culture), and 2nd level spells for each of the other magical traditions as each culture becomes more diversified. Each culture should have begun to develop some 7th level spells. Why so low? It’s only been one hundred years. For example….

Ta’Jinn Godsbloods now know all 6th level spells (or rather, are familiar with. Not every Godsblood sorcerer knows all spells, of course). They have 2nd level cleric, druid, and bard spells (meaning a limit of 4th level for most ‘foreign’ magic-users). Sorcerers of high level have also researched some 7th-level information, scrying, divination, and utility spells. (Including but not limited to; Banishment [hatred of outsiders], Sequester, Greater Scrying, Vision, Vanish, Ethereal Jaunt, Plane Shift [developed as spin-off from research for banishment, rarely used]).

One last point, native classes….

Cressia – Bard, Druid, Ranger (Deltanes).

Ausel – Rogue, Monk, Sorcerer.

Stempa – Cleric, Fighter.

Ta’Jinn – Sorcerer, Fighter, Barbarian.

Does that look right? Any comments on anything in this post?

Wow, this is actually going pretty well.

Let's say that this age has been a heroic age. The peace in Greater Cressia combines with the games, the constant small expansion and conflict of the major cultures, and a judicial amount of encouragement toward individual development from various divine elements to create an unusually high number of high level adventurers, and I use the term adventurer to deliberately distinguish between these men of furious action and the high levels that would be accrued by leaders and sages under normal circumstances.

In Ausel all of these heroes are considered more or less a normal part of their society and religion. The culture gathers at the great temples to witness the contests by which heroes prove themselves and make themselves more perfect. Clerics come from those who dedicate themselves to either those heroes who have gone before or to the adoration of the dragon heroes who have truely transcended.

In Greater Cressia the heroes have gathered in the places I listed earlier, but at the City of the Great Games the Wardens have recruited many heroes into an organization that supports them and gives them a means to work together. Sort of like a cross between the Round Table, an Olympic Village, a University, and the Vatican with a particular emphasis on creating magical items.

Both cultures have been experimenting with tactics to better support these extraordinary individuals in the field and use them to great strategic effect.

I think we know need to decide how each culture's particular brand of heroism and heroic technology works.

First, however, we need to decide how the different cultures will react to the presence of the Formians.

I think there is actually a fairly high likelihood that the Ausel and the Formians will reach a detente.

The Ausel have plenty of high level magic users around who quickly realize the nature of the threat. Gathering with the elder heads of the houses, they send a delegation to the Formians with apologies and all the bound Formians in Ausel. They express great admiration for the tenets of law the Formians offer them and spin themselves as a very lawful culture. After all, their people are highly organized and they have many monks and other lawful entities.

The Ausel then state that the true source of chaos on this world is Greater Cressia, a power which forces them to bind Formians in order to feed their mighty engines of war and chaos. They beg the Formians to help them in an attempt to conquer their continental oppressors.

I think this scheme could work. To the Ausel elite the Formians are simply another opportunity. To the Ausel commoner the Formians are simply proof of ever greater wonders that await the virtuously perfect. To the Formians the Ausel seem to be a very advanced if unfortunate culture that needs their aid.

Afterall, how hard can a creature of pure law be to con?

GladiusNP

First Post
Dr. Strangemonkey said:
The Ausel have plenty of high level magic users around who quickly realize the nature of the threat.

Also, the research conducted on formian workers would have revealed that they are resistant to many forms of magical energy, which would make the Ausel very wary of theses guys indeed - even more so when they learn that soldiers are resistant to magic.

Probably could end up working with the Formians. I'd say that the Ausel are Lawful Evil, and the latter doesn't matter to the Formains.

Re: The state of the world to the east of Cressia....

GladiusNP said:

With regard to the Rise and (future) Fall of the Ta’Jinn empire….

The Ta’Jinn Centaurs are like Alexander the Great, really good at conquering an Empire, but not so effective at administrating it. Heaven River has become the centre of the Empire, with lots of wealth and trade coming into the largest city in the region – probably the capital of the empire. In these modern times, trade is vastly more important. Centaurs aren’t really that interested, but the humans of the Heaven River Valley sure are.

I feel that we should use all 6th level spells for the next round (in the main traditions of each culture), and 2nd level spells for each of the other magical traditions as each culture becomes more diversified. Each culture should have begun to develop some 7th level spells. Why so low? It’s only been one hundred years. For example….

One last point, native classes….

Cressia – Bard, Druid, Ranger (Deltanes).

Ausel – Rogue, Monk, Sorcerer.

Stempa – Cleric, Fighter.

Ta’Jinn – Sorcerer, Fighter, Barbarian.

Does that look right? Any comments on anything in this post?

I'm game for some initial speculation but determining too much ahead of time risks that people will limit their creativity to that end. If someone comes up with a really cool tactic like the Ta'jinn firebombing from the last session I would hate to have them ignore it in order to have things match the stated goals.

That said. I think the Ta'jinn are more like Darius than Alexander. They probably work very hard to allow each culture in their empire to lead its own life as long as it is loyal and to use each culture to do what it does best. The Jinn parts of the empire are thus very different from the provinces of the river. All of the cultures find unity in the very cosmopolitan culture of the councils with their many orders and the representatives of the Khan's court. The table has been surrounded by a vast palace city in which the dignitaries of all of the subject people are present and negotiate the laws and disputes of the land before the judges and beauracrats of the King's table in the palace of quills and petition for aid before the arbiters, generals, and knights of the palace of swords. The priesthood of the Spirit of the Khan/Spirit of the Great Breath maintains order and the Khan's authority.

I see the Khannate as being a very stable and prosperous nation barring external conquest or violent and aberrant internal disorder.

My only other comments would be that 7th level makes more sense to me in terms of time, but that the sort of adventure and fall out made possible by the repulsion of an extraplanar invasion is only possible if we allow higher levels and powers overall.

I've thought about and come around on the cube for the following reason: I want to see what happens to these cultures in the wake of repulsing an invasion of this sort.

And I would hypothesize that a heroic age occuring at this time is not simply coincedence. At the end of the conflict the heroic age will end and the various cultures will loose many of the great technologies and lore possessed by the great individuals of this era to return to a simpler time and steadier pace of development, but one that has been forever influenced by the introduction of extraplanar ideas and moments.

My suggestion would be that now that the Religion question has been settled we come up with the major high powered groups in some greater detail.

A heroic era is a phenomena that is both appropriate and possible in DnD world building and we would be remiss not to explore it. Afterwards the world can return to its basic shape with each culture having undergone some permanent internal changes as a result of the events we will describe.

Stempa needs a god or goddess of love, hearth, the family, decency, and protection. Every culture that has a sense of the importance of private life needs one. I would suggest that this deity be a group of deities that exist directly under the fates. This explains why there are many oracles since every city needed both the protection of these gods and the city god.

This deity is unequivocally lawful good and gives the Stempans some early access to Paladins as protectors of the Oracles. These in turn then become the first force of the Greater Cressia Confederation. As the Confederation grows the administrative needs become greater and combine with the high magic of the city that creates the Wardens to produce a new tradition of magical learning. Thus add the following to the native class list:

Concordance= Wizards and Paladins

My final comment would be that Cressia and the Ta'jinn probably share Ranger and Barbarian as favored classes. Cressia had battle ragers some time ago and the Ta'jinn have always had elite scouts.

Omega Lord

First Post
Hello all, Ive been reading these threads for a few months now and this is the first time I have actually caught up with the leading edge of the thread. RW, great idea man. Everyone else wonderful development. Too bad we started this after the setting search at wizards or else we could submit a communal entry :D , but I digress...

Expect to have my particular brand of creative insanity to the mix.

1st order of business. On the Ausel divine connection. One thing that was mentioned wayy back in this thread was perhaps using shugenja's from OA. I must say the more the Ausel culture fleshes out the more I think this might be a good idea. Think about it, shugenja are element focused divine sorcerors. The elemental focus fits in with the whole Ausel magic thing and the shugenjas dont worship a god, just the elements (or perhaps the elemental dragons). Possible problems with this

1. the wood dragon, AFAIK there is no "wood" based shugenja, however this is a moderatly easy fix. Just add some spells dealing with plants to the OA spell list and call it good.

2. Not everyone has OA, not everyone likes OA.

Another thing that shugenjas would do is give a very uniqe flavor to the Ausel magicians. Granted there would still be sorceror elite but the shugenjas could add the element of divine casting into the Ausel pantheon (no clerics=no magic healing= :( ) and they could serve as "high preists" of a sort.

Like I said, if everyone likes the idea of incorporating OA into this scenario then I think that this would be a wonderful place to start. Other possible OA additions: weapons/items, OA critters, shamans for the cressians, perhaps centauric Ta'Jinn samuri?

Just some thoughts.

ACKKKKK!! I just had a very twisted idea, Ausel maho tasuki:eek: !!

Granted that would require a little rules bending but yipes.

Last edited:

s/LaSH

First Post
Rambling thought time!

Inclusion of Oriental Adventures stuff, while it would be super cool, probably shouldn't happen because it's not SRD. SRD is the focus for this exercise, as I mention rather often, because you can create just about anything with non-SRD rules - I prefer to put a limit on tactical options. Plus I don't own OA :(

And what's a maho tasuki?

(But elemental priests are possible... just give a cleric elemental domains, maybe say they can only spontaneous cast from their domains instead of heal/harm. Quick fix. We're not using the Greyhawk pantheon here.)

Which reminds me... clerical domains need to be defined. Preferably SRD domains, for the reasons cited above.

Someone mentioned paladins. While the Stempan emphasis on religion and warrior culture would possibly produce them, a while back I mentioned something interesting arising from the initial skirmish between Cresia and Ta'jinn: jinn paladins. Demon hunters who seek out evil and smite it - is there anything more jinn? Honestly? They could well have developed from a tiny order (or group of people too small to become an order!) to werewolf hunters during the inevitable plagues after the Stempan War wound down. They could even have a cool name like the Demonbloods (so called because they shed a lot of it in the glorious past).

Now the REAL focus: Ausel allies with the Formians. I LOVE IT! I never saw that coming, which is what this thread is all about, isn't it?

However, I'm not certain they'd get to that conclusion quite in time to save everyone. I think the main Summoner city (and at least one dragon) would be enslaved before the rest of Ausel got its act together and presented a treaty, and that gives the formians a little more firepower... and they're not likely to give it back, are they? It's not a major blow for the Auselen (not more than 5% of their power), but it's something.

Plus it sets up a neat dragonslaying quest for the mainlanders that could have serious politican ramifications if it succeeds...

Robbert Raets

Explorer
So, assuming that the Ta'Jinn and Cressian army division remains the same, how does the Stempan Concord organise it's forces?

Human and Hobgoblin swordsmen shielded with one or two lines of ablative Spear-Goblins? Ogre, Archer and Cleric support groups added as needed?

s/LaSH said:
Rambling thought time!

(But elemental priests are possible... just give a cleric elemental domains, maybe say they can only spontaneous cast from their domains instead of heal/harm. Quick fix. We're not using the Greyhawk pantheon here.)

Which reminds me... clerical domains need to be defined. Preferably SRD domains, for the reasons cited above.

Someone mentioned paladins. While the Stempan emphasis on religion and warrior culture would possibly produce them, a while back I mentioned something interesting arising from the initial skirmish between Cresia and Ta'jinn: jinn paladins. Demon hunters who seek out evil and smite it - is there anything more jinn? Honestly? They could well have developed from a tiny order (or group of people too small to become an order!) to werewolf hunters during the inevitable plagues after the Stempan War wound down. They could even have a cool name like the Demonbloods (so called because they shed a lot of it in the glorious past).

Now the REAL focus: Ausel allies with the Formians. I LOVE IT! I never saw that coming, which is what this thread is all about, isn't it?

However, I'm not certain they'd get to that conclusion quite in time to save everyone. I think the main Summoner city (and at least one dragon) would be enslaved before the rest of Ausel got its act together and presented a treaty, and that gives the formians a little more firepower... and they're not likely to give it back, are they? It's not a major blow for the Auselen (not more than 5% of their power), but it's something.

Plus it sets up a neat dragonslaying quest for the mainlanders that could have serious politican ramifications if it succeeds...

Sounds like a good solution to the Shugenja issue. Shugenja are really easy to create out of clerics. You just lower the armor proficiencies, up the skill list, give them expanded elemental domains, and the Sorceror spell progression.

hmmm, maybe that isn't so easy, but that tells you what Shugenja are without having to buy OA.

I really wanted the Ta'jinn to be Paladinny too, but couldn't see how they would fit into the larger flexible culture of the Khanate cept maybe as an order of God-Blooded. I also wanted wizards for the Ta'jinn to represent the scholarly tradition of the River Province, but the God-Blooded need to be Sorcerors.

Thus I suggested the compromise of having Wizards and Paladins be the class contributions created by the mixing of cultures in the Empty Quarter and City of Games. I think both could find places to live in all of the cultures but the real center would be the new land created by the melding of all of the cultures.

The Game City needs a name by the way, and I'm no good at them. Someone please help.

Also, I think we should certainly allow a bit of Ausel to get smacked down. Then when the war is over they can become a faction of undead so we can use the cool ideas on Dracoliches and what not that someone mentioned above.

Oh yeah, this conflict is so going to be the War of the Lance for this world.

s/LaSH

First Post
Formian tactic: taskmasters dominating Auselen attack beasts. The Auselen create weird creatures too mindless to work together... unless their minds are shackled to something else. Does anybody else think the idea of a dire bear pack is terrifying on the battlefield? "Suddenly, giant bears jump out of the woods surrounding you! Flanking bonus! Surprise attack! Bullrush everyone into a fireball radius! Step back!"

A single taskmaster could be a mindboggling advantage to the Auselen armies on a small scale. (Although not to their golems. Are we still going with golems? Limited Wish is level 7.)

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
So What we have then is

1 Cressia – Bard, Druid, Ranger, Lycanthorpes, Celestial Dogs, Giant Eagles, a Roc (or two)

domains: Druid, Air (Eagles), Animal, Plant, Earth, Water

2 Ta’Jinn – Sorcerer, Fighter, Barbarian, Centaurs, Griffons

domains: War, Strength, Law, Air, Protection, Travel

3 Stempa – Cleric, Fighter, Alchemist. Ogres, Hobgoblins, Goblins
Arcsos - Destruction, Chaos, War
Beros - Law, Knowledge, Good
Ephros - Plant, Luck, Healing
Mastos - Earth, Fire, Protection

4 Ausel – Rogue, Monk, Sorcerer. Monsters (Zombi, Golem, Elementals)? and Dragons (maybe)

domains: Air, Earth, Fire, Water, Strength, Magic

5 Formian Hive - Workers, Warriors, Taskmasters, Observers, Myrmarch, Queen, Slaves

domains: none

The initial set up has the Formians sending observers to assess ONE of the Auselen strongholds. The Auselen within are on high alert/panic trying to determine what this strange fortress and the insectile inhabitants is. The enslaved Formian workers are revolting trying to get back to the hive. - What happens next (if the Formains win this (ha!) then one Auselen city will be down - allowing for the Treaty to be formed later)

Meanwhile tensions have risen in Greater Cressia as the Ta'jinn Athletes at the Memorial Games are attacked by a Werewolf... (what happens now?)

Remove ads