[Fantasy Concepts] Anyone playing/running this?

A while back there was a lot of interest in some sort of a mash-up of Star Wars Saga and fantasy. There were two products to come out of that. One is a conversion that requires the use of the SWSE book(s). You can find that here: Sword and Sorcery Saga, by John "The Gneech" Robey

The second (and one I'm curious about) is Fantasy Concepts. It's a pay product but it's also standalone, with an absolutely massive declaration in the OGL licence at the back of the book. It can be found here:http://www.lulu.com/content/1444818

I do own it, so I'm not really looking for someone to say "Yeah it's a cool read, you should buy it!!" I'm curious to know if anyone has actually run/played in any FC games. Or ported some of the rules from FC into a 3.x game.

Was it an S&S game, or did you hack magic to be more like D&D? Anything pop up in play that was unexpected? Did the FC version of Action Points actually get folks to consistently use them, instead of saving them for the Final Showdown With Mr. Evil? Were the 6 classes enough, or did you convert something from some SWSE book to fill a niche? Convert something else from some 3.x book?

It seems like a shame that something so promising seems to have dropped off the face of the earth. It's currently on my list of games to pitch to the group once it gets around to being my turn to run something.

Edit: Oh and... I suppose another good question would be: What "fixes" have been made to SWSE that can/should be backported into FC games?

Last edited:

Flynn

First Post
I, too, have to admit some curiosity. People are still buying the game, a copy or two a month, and it's been out for over a year and a half. Hopefully, someone is getting some good gaming time in with the system. I'd love to hear about your experiences with it.

With Regards,
Jason 'Flynn' Kemp

I bought it, but I've never used it (our group is very conservative in its tastes).

The spell casting system seemed like it was possible to cast 2nd level spells at first level if you were able to get an extra talent from somewhere, but I might just be reading it wrong.

And my copy is based on the Open Gaming Licence issued by Scholars of the Coast. I must say that I am not familiar with that company :)

Remove ads