• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Fantasy Genetics: Half-breeds

The Sigil

Mr. 3000 (Words per post)
garyh said:
Here's a lineage stumper:

What would you call a character whose grandparents were a Half-Elf and Celestial on one side (resulting in a Half-Celestial templated Half-Elf) and a Half-Orc and a Dragon on the other side (resulting in a Half-Dragon templated Half-Orc)?

Lineage would be 1/4 Dragon, 1/4 Celestial, 1/4 Human, 1/8 Elf, and 1/8 Orc.

Name that bad boy!! :D
That would be a NIMCYD...

Not In My Campaign You Don't.

Seriously, though...

Let's start with this question:

What do you get when you mate a half-elf with an elf? An elf. Acutal blood is 3/4 elf, 1/4 human. Obviously, 1/4 is not enough to affect a "base creature."
What do you get when you mate a half-elf with a human? A human.

What do you get when you mate a half-elf with a half-orc?

A creature that is 1/2 human, 1/4 elf, and 1/4 orc. As shown above, the 1/4 is negligible, so we get a "human."

My next question becomes, "what would you call the offspring of a half-fiend human and a (normal) human?" I would tend to lean toward, "fiendish human." Mate a fiendish human with a normal human and get a planetouched human. Mate a planetouched with a normal human and get a human (takes longer to get fiendish blood "out of your system" than elvish/orcish blood). Same holds for celestials instead of fiends (I chose fiends because sometimes the template names of half-celestial and celestial(ish) are more confusing than half-fiend and fiendish).

IOW, a first-generation planar creature (i.e., a native) is an outsider. A second-generation is "half-fiend". A third generation is "fiendish." A fourth generation is "plane-touched".

Since there is no corresponding template for "dragonish", I would suggest that dragonic heritage drops out of the equation at 1/4 (2 generations) also.

So, let's look agani at the base creature you suggested... ignoring templates, he comes from a half-elf and half-orc. That makes him a human.

He is 2 generations removed from a celestial, so he receives the celestial(ish) template. He is 2 generations removed from a dragon, so his heritage drops out of consideration as far as abilities (looks may change).

Conclusion:
The off-spring of a half-celestial templated half-elf and a half-dragon templated half-orc is...

A celestial templated human.

--The Sigil

garyh

First Post
Re: Re: Fantasy Genetics: Half-breeds

The Sigil said:
Conclusion:
The off-spring of a half-celestial templated half-elf and a half-dragon templated half-orc is...

A celestial templated human.

--The Sigil

Solid logic Sigil. Makes good sense.

Xarlen

First Post
Actually, I would call a second generation dragon a Sorceror. ;)

Though, I never thought of applying the Fiendish template, I like that. I guess it could also work with Half-elementals, the Elemental template, and Genasi. However, I would think that a planetouched could immerge from further down the line then just 4th; simply because I think it would be interesting if both parents had no initial signs (or knowledge) of their extra-planar heraditary, and the child showing signs.

Perhaps this could be possible if, let us say the tiefling is z, who's parents are y. Thus:

y y
\ /
Z

Now, imagine if one of Y's parents were fiendish. Let's call the fiendish parent X, and the human parent x.

X x x X
\ / \ /
y y
\ /
Z

Thus, the Extra-planar gene could be recessive, but if encountered in both parents, it becomes the dominant gene.

Now, I'm pondering crafting an ECL +1 of a Dragon-blooded, that would follow the same as above. Likely a +2 to Str and Charisma, or +2 to Cha and Int (Aasmir get +2 to Cha and Wis, so it's fair), a resistant to a paticular element 5 (Tieflings and Aasmir have 2 or three energy resistances), immune to Paralysis and Sleep, Type turns to Dragon, and likely a +2 to Nat Armor. I was considering a spell-like ability akin to their color, but that'd be too much.

Last edited:

garyh

First Post
The use of the Celestial and Fiendish templates is a good idea. I'd love to see a "Draconic" template.

*hint*

Last edited:

garyh

First Post
Xarlen said:

See my last paragraph. :)

I think while I was posting, you edited it from "I'm thinking about..." to "This is it...". I was asking for a "final" version, which you edited yours to be.

It's all your fault. Really. :D

Xarlen

First Post
Oh. Well, it's not really a 'template' so much as an ECL race presented like the Aasmir and Tiefling.

Do you mean Draconic, like the Fiendish or Celestial?

garyh

First Post
Xarlen said:
Oh. Well, it's not really a 'template' so much as an ECL race presented like the Aasmir and Tiefling.

Do you mean Draconic, like the Fiendish or Celestial?

Oh, I see, you made a Dragontouched race, not a template. The race is spiffy, and I'd play it. A Draconic template would also be interesting.

Last edited:

The Sigil

Mr. 3000 (Words per post)
Hey!

Xarlen said:
Actually, I would call a second generation dragon a Sorceror. ;)

Though, I never thought of applying the Fiendish template, I like that. I guess it could also work with Half-elementals, the Elemental template, and Genasi. However, I would think that a planetouched could immerge from further down the line then just 4th; simply because I think it would be interesting if both parents had no initial signs (or knowledge) of their extra-planar heraditary, and the child showing signs.

I wasn't saying a planetouched child *couldn't* be later than 4th (you'll note I didn't say "fifth generation=nothing"), merely that 4th will be no better than plane-touched. :)

I also like the idea of a draconic (dragon-ish) template. :)

--The Sigil

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads