• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Fantasy Geography! Please share ideas

mistergone

First Post
My world is pretty tame, but ther eare a few geographical features that at least slightly interesting:

1) Stonebridge, the seat of the dwarven kingdom of the north, is a city built into a mammoth natural rock arch that spans a canyon. Smaller towns ring the two mountains on either end of the "bridge", and there are dwellings in the valley below along the river that flows there.

2) Jakartha, the largest drow city, it basically a giant crater in the desert, with an oasis at the bottom, the city itself built ringing the edges of the crater, winding down to the oasis itself. A small ridge of rocy hills along the crater's lip protects them from sandstorms. (Obviously, my drow are not the typical evil underdark dwellers.)

3) In the northern forest that is the ancestral home of the woodelves (I forget the name of the place offhand), the trees are like california redwoods, only much larger, and there are mushrooms that easily grow over 6' tall.

4) The Briarwood, ancestral home of the high elves, is a particularly and impossibly old forest and is notoriously thick and overgrown, and is littered with ancient ruins of the first elves, which were 9' tall demigodlike being.

5) There's a huge flat land circled by spirelike mountains that is the result of an ancient evil entity crashing to earth long ago. The land is alomst devoid of life, marred by deep cracks in the ground, and large shafts of a crystalline rock thrust up from the earth at odd angles. In the very center of this land is a large crater over which once contained a whirling vortex of energy, and over which was built a dark tower, but the tower has been destroyed long ago and the energy has dissapated.

I use a lot of strange but not too weird features to set the lands apart. Like in the eastern kingdom, which is very "Arthurian" and old britian in flavor, there are standing stones and cairns all over. In the northeast hills, there's mushrooms that grow to the size of trees with narrow stems, that grow in fairly close "copses". Another place is a human city built around a dam on a large river.

Pants

First Post
I missed this:

dave_o said:
A desert.

Composed entirely of broken glass. :D
In one of my old campaign worlds I had a desert composed entirely of salt.

From my current campaign:
1) The High Druid's Grove has trees with silver bark and golden leaves.
2) In a spot where an incredibly powerful Spellcaster destroyed himself whilst casting an epic-style spell, there remains only a 300 foot high pillar of obsidian.

wighair

Explorer
The lake of forgotten dreams...

Anyone looking into the lake will see flashes of people and places from their past. Drinking the water will help restore the memories of something forgotten. Anyone with an evil past could be driven mad by the "ghosts" of their former victims.

The unfinished lands...

Where there is nothing but greyness and shadows. Where the gods in creation left this place "undetailed".

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
While a little known fact in parts of Death Valley stones move on their own! No one is sure why or how but they move pretty far. This could be taken to the fantasy as the Rolling Stone Plains. The area overlaps the elemental plane of earth!

The Sorgasso Sea (spelling) would make for an interesting fantasy location. Use Shambling Mounds/Tendriculos.

Zelanzy had the Changing Lands, that had waves of magic that did some interesting things.

Petrified Forest - Stone trees, stone plants, stone animals.

Vaxalon

First Post
Hand of Evil said:
While a little known fact in parts of Death Valley stones move on their own! No one is sure why or how but they move pretty far.

They figured this one out. During storms, the wind pushes rocks on a lubricating layer of thin mud.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
blackshirt5 said:
What is the Sargasso Sea?

BTW, a lot of these are very cool ideas. I'll probably end up incorporating some of these into my world.

It is a place in the mid-Atlantic that the currents flow around, seaweed call Sargasso floats on the surface basicly becoming a forest in the middle of the ocean. Sailors fear it because they felt the seaweed would entangle their ships and you could become becalmed in it.

Here is a link with some info and map. :)
http://www.bermuda-triangle.org/500_Leagues_of_Sea/Sargasso_Sea/sargasso_sea.html

Last edited:

blackshirt5

First Post
thanks for the tip Evil. Airships are prevalent IMC, I wonder if maybe I should come up with something like the Sargasso Sea or airship travel? :evil grin:

Aeolius

Adventurer
Hand of Evil said:
seaweed call Sargasso floats on the surface basicly becoming a forest in the middle of the ocean. Sailors fear it because they felt the seaweed would entangle their ships and you could become becalmed in it.

Aquatic life can render some amazing settings, to be certain. I used many such locales in the creation of my undersea game, incorporating cold seeps, hydrothermal vents, red tides, and more.

http://www.lobi.com/bpaa/background/

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads