• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Fantasy Geography! Please share ideas

Greybar

No Trouble at All
So far the players only know about:

* A Chasm of Fire - caused when a demigod's greataxe fell from the sky as he was defeated.

* Twin Spires - (not peaks! man I don't know what I was thinking when I named it) Two unnaturally tall and steep spikes of mountain that are entirely out of place in the local geography. The cause is unknown to the players at this time.

A similar idea to the unnatural geography is the "the world is not a globe" concept. My players haven't travelled enough to test the concept, but being engineering types assume that it is a globe...

John

Noldor Elf

First Post
In my homebrew there is a forest, where branches of the trees have grown together and the whole forest is really a one huge semi sentinent being.

Harold Mayo

First Post
Only a couple in my world that I can think of:

The Spire: A column of obsidian rising from the sea and going WAY up into the sky. It once rose higher even but a large part fell into the sea. According to myth, the spire was caused by a dark god plunging his spear through the world and wounding it. The obsidian is the hardened blood of the world. In reality(?), the Spire was created when a hyper-velocity micrometeor hurtled through the planet from the other side. The Spire is, in a way, the hardened blood of the world. There is, on the other side of the planet, a vast plain of obsidian inhabited by fire giants and red dragons and other such creatures. The Spire itself has been carved into and contains a "seaside" town. Sea creatures such as mermen use the obsidian that has fallen into the sea for tools.

The Crownsea: A large sea that exists in a mountain range at a high elevation. Not all that unusual as fantasy terrain goes but not really something that occurs normally.

grodog

Hero
Erebus Red said:
Some great stuff coming in - thanks ... this place is gonna look like Michael Moorcock had a nightmare !

LOL! Well, stealing from MM, I've had demiplanes where the sky was another land, upside down and the sun and stars and moons were shared between the two worlds (see Elric at the End of Time and Rodney Mattehews' painting at http://www.rodneymatthews.com/books.htm#; in fact, http://www.rodneymatthews.com/ in general can be quite inspirational).

I'll have to dig through some notes when I get home, about the various features and what-not that I've liked the most in my games: don't want to leave any of the good ones out! :D

The Goblin King

First Post
Gelatinous Lake. This 'lake' is actually an incredibly big ooze. No one knows how it got there or how it grew so big. It has always just been there. Luckily, it either can not or does not wish to leave its Grand Canyon sized hole. The locals sell metal snowshoe-like things. With these you can cross the lake albeit slowly. The lake itself is transparent at the surface. It is very hard for the inexperienced to tell where the earth stops and the lake begins. As it gets deeper it gets darker and cloudier. Looking down into the lake it appears as though the valley floor is covered in mists that get thicker and darker till you can't see the bottom.

Hooks:
Most of the time, the lake is inactive. However, it does sometimes draw back and surge forward. Fighting a lake that is trying to pull you in should prove interesting.

A few residents have bred giant water striders to ride across the lake. The surface tension of an ooze is stronger then that of water so they don't sink. With these you can cross in a matter of minutes instead of hours. Riding one would be useful when chasing someone or when trying to escape.

The acid from the ooze only disolves organic material. A gnome named Mak Merryweather has built a diving bell. He claims that the treasure of those who did not to make the crossing must lie at the bottom of Gelatinous Lake. He promises untold wealth to those who help him recover it. Merryweather will assure any doubters that his experimental diving hardsuits are perfectly safe. He will of course stay on the surface to operate the pumps and machinery.

One of the characters is accused of a crime. Punishment is by a dunking in the lake. The worse the crime, the longer they are held under. Criminals are easily recognized by the acid burns covering thier body.

blackshirt5

First Post
I just have to say that I love this thread and I really don't want to see it die. I'm definitely using some of these ideas IMW, my players are in for some absolutely fantastic vistas, and I can't wait to see some of Chris' pictures in the future when they get to these areas!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads