FANTASY GROUNDS Virtual Tabletop's D&D License!

Officially licensed D&D electronic tools! For real! Fantasy Grounds, one of the leading virtual tabletops, has just released a set of D&D 5th edition licensed data packages. These include the D&D Basic Rules, packs for each of the core classes, and a pile of monster packs. Each states specifically that "This product is licensed from Wizards of the Coast." This appears to be the first officially licensed and branded electronic product. (thanks to Matchstick for the scoop)

Officially licensed D&D electronic tools! For real! Fantasy Grounds, one of the leading virtual tabletops, has just released a set of D&D 5th edition licensed data packages. These include the D&D Basic Rules, packs for each of the core classes, and a pile of monster packs. Each states specifically that "This product is licensed from Wizards of the Coast." This appears to be the first officially licensed and branded electronic product. (thanks to Matchstick for the scoop)

Check out their D&D wares here. They mention that "The DMG is still in the works, along with the Hoard of the Dragon Queen, The Rise of Tiamat and Princes of the Apocalypse." and that "The basic 5E ruleset will continue to be provided directly within Fantasy Grounds to all licenses. These purchasable options add a new graphics theme that is officially branded, along with the library module support, and whatever other enhancements we could squeeze in, like tokens or portraits or decals."

Here's the announcement:
We are proud to announce that we are officially licensed to sell D&D source material and content inside of Fantasy Grounds! This is the beginning of a great new partnership between SmiteWorks and Wizards of the Coast that will benefit gamers worldwide.

You can purchase the D&D Complete Core Class Pack with all the class, feats, spells and equipment or you can purchase individual classes only. You can also buy the monsters in packs or as the D&D Complete Core Monster Pack. These products have been converted to work really tightly with Fantasy Grounds to give you the best possible gaming experience - we know you're going to love them. They contain all the great artwork and content from the official products and all the smarts and integration to work with Fantasy Grounds. Not only will you get the same content that can be found in print, but you also get an exciting new Fifth Edition theme, adventures and content customized specifically for ease of play inside of Fantasy Grounds.

For Dungeon Masters and players on a budget, you might pick up a Player Customization Pack and one or two Class Packs of your choice. Dungeon Masters can often get by with just the Adventure of their choice and one or two Monster Packs.

Don't forget that players can gift purchases through Steam for Dungeon Masters who have linked their license on Steam.

WOTC5EDDBASICRULES.jpg

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
I like the ala carte nature for players. It means the get in price for a single class character is only 20% the price of the PHB. That's rather handy. As a DM it looks like costs add up quickly, which is the classic curse of DMing.

Tormyr

Adventurer
It looks like at least the PHB and MM content is there. If everyone at a table chipped in for the Ultimate pack, that would take care of the table.

EDIT: Thank goodness they did not announce this last Wednesday.

I had to make sure this post wasn't from April 1st! Well this is a start, though I don't use virtual gaming apps, hoping to see what else comes down the pipe.

Askaval30

Explorer
my first thread in years gets closed immediately due to Morrus beating me by three minutes!

Still, this is fantastic news for those of us with groups scattered to the four winds like myself, happy days! unexpected news is rarely good, but in this case the surprise was a nice one indeed...

(less so for my wallet, but sacrifices need to be made)

Okay, this may be a dumb question, but...

Are these "packs" solely for use on the FG virtual tabletop? Or are these the e-tools we've been looking for, usable as their own thing for a face-to-face campaign as well?

Remove ads

Remove ads