FANTASY GROUNDS Virtual Tabletop's D&D License!

Officially licensed D&D electronic tools! For real! Fantasy Grounds, one of the leading virtual tabletops, has just released a set of D&D 5th edition licensed data packages. These include the D&D Basic Rules, packs for each of the core classes, and a pile of monster packs. Each states specifically that "This product is licensed from Wizards of the Coast." This appears to be the first officially licensed and branded electronic product. (thanks to Matchstick for the scoop)

Officially licensed D&D electronic tools! For real! Fantasy Grounds, one of the leading virtual tabletops, has just released a set of D&D 5th edition licensed data packages. These include the D&D Basic Rules, packs for each of the core classes, and a pile of monster packs. Each states specifically that "This product is licensed from Wizards of the Coast." This appears to be the first officially licensed and branded electronic product. (thanks to Matchstick for the scoop)

Check out their D&D wares here. They mention that "The DMG is still in the works, along with the Hoard of the Dragon Queen, The Rise of Tiamat and Princes of the Apocalypse." and that "The basic 5E ruleset will continue to be provided directly within Fantasy Grounds to all licenses. These purchasable options add a new graphics theme that is officially branded, along with the library module support, and whatever other enhancements we could squeeze in, like tokens or portraits or decals."

Here's the announcement:
We are proud to announce that we are officially licensed to sell D&D source material and content inside of Fantasy Grounds! This is the beginning of a great new partnership between SmiteWorks and Wizards of the Coast that will benefit gamers worldwide.

You can purchase the D&D Complete Core Class Pack with all the class, feats, spells and equipment or you can purchase individual classes only. You can also buy the monsters in packs or as the D&D Complete Core Monster Pack. These products have been converted to work really tightly with Fantasy Grounds to give you the best possible gaming experience - we know you're going to love them. They contain all the great artwork and content from the official products and all the smarts and integration to work with Fantasy Grounds. Not only will you get the same content that can be found in print, but you also get an exciting new Fifth Edition theme, adventures and content customized specifically for ease of play inside of Fantasy Grounds.

For Dungeon Masters and players on a budget, you might pick up a Player Customization Pack and one or two Class Packs of your choice. Dungeon Masters can often get by with just the Adventure of their choice and one or two Monster Packs.

Don't forget that players can gift purchases through Steam for Dungeon Masters who have linked their license on Steam.

WOTC5EDDBASICRULES.jpg

Abbasax

Explorer
It looks like at least the PHB and MM content is there. If everyone at a table chipped in for the Ultimate pack, that would take care of the table.

EDIT: Thank goodness they did not announce this last Wednesday.

From what I could tell, the Ultimate licence doesn't include the class and monster packs, just the D&D Basic Rules. (I may have missed it though)

Tormyr

Adventurer
From what I could tell, the Ultimate licence doesn't include the class and monster packs, just the D&D Basic Rules. (I may have missed it though)

No, looks like you are right and I got too excited. Bummer. $184-$300 is too high a barrier for entry for me as a DM.

T

TDarien

Actually, from what I understand, the Ultimate license only includes the ruleset, and not even the basic rules. In other words it can handle the rules for the game but doesn't have any class options or rules text built in -- you'd have to create it yourself, or buy the 2.99 basic rules, the complete core class back, or individual class packs and the character customization pack (feats, equipment, etc)

God

Adventurer
That's a lot of filthy lucre, considering you can get all three dead-tree rulebook for about $100 on Amazon. But I guess in the digital age this kind of pricing scheme makes sense?

A

amerigoV

That is good news for the D&Ders. While there is always a debate between using FG (for $) or Roll20 (free for most its functions), as a Savage Worlds guy I do have to say the the FG people have been very good at supporting the license games.

T

TDarien

You can also get a license on a subscription model. $4/month for GM $10/Month for Ultimate, if you're so inclined. You'd still need to buy the rules though,.

DMZ2112

Chaotic Looseleaf
Love D&D5.

Was not a Fantasy Grounds customer before... am still not a Fantasy Grounds customer.

But hey, maybe you have a thing for tools that make simple tasks exponentially more difficult and time consuming, and are also an oil magnate. If that is the case I wish you the best! What great news this is for you.

Pesonally I will stick with my Google Hangout, real paper books, and actual plastic dice.

Remove ads

Remove ads