FANTASY GROUNDS Virtual Tabletop's D&D License!

Officially licensed D&D electronic tools! For real! Fantasy Grounds, one of the leading virtual tabletops, has just released a set of D&D 5th edition licensed data packages. These include the D&D Basic Rules, packs for each of the core classes, and a pile of monster packs. Each states specifically that "This product is licensed from Wizards of the Coast." This appears to be the first officially licensed and branded electronic product. (thanks to Matchstick for the scoop)

Officially licensed D&D electronic tools! For real! Fantasy Grounds, one of the leading virtual tabletops, has just released a set of D&D 5th edition licensed data packages. These include the D&D Basic Rules, packs for each of the core classes, and a pile of monster packs. Each states specifically that "This product is licensed from Wizards of the Coast." This appears to be the first officially licensed and branded electronic product. (thanks to Matchstick for the scoop)

Check out their D&D wares here. They mention that "The DMG is still in the works, along with the Hoard of the Dragon Queen, The Rise of Tiamat and Princes of the Apocalypse." and that "The basic 5E ruleset will continue to be provided directly within Fantasy Grounds to all licenses. These purchasable options add a new graphics theme that is officially branded, along with the library module support, and whatever other enhancements we could squeeze in, like tokens or portraits or decals."

Here's the announcement:
We are proud to announce that we are officially licensed to sell D&D source material and content inside of Fantasy Grounds! This is the beginning of a great new partnership between SmiteWorks and Wizards of the Coast that will benefit gamers worldwide.

You can purchase the D&D Complete Core Class Pack with all the class, feats, spells and equipment or you can purchase individual classes only. You can also buy the monsters in packs or as the D&D Complete Core Monster Pack. These products have been converted to work really tightly with Fantasy Grounds to give you the best possible gaming experience - we know you're going to love them. They contain all the great artwork and content from the official products and all the smarts and integration to work with Fantasy Grounds. Not only will you get the same content that can be found in print, but you also get an exciting new Fifth Edition theme, adventures and content customized specifically for ease of play inside of Fantasy Grounds.

For Dungeon Masters and players on a budget, you might pick up a Player Customization Pack and one or two Class Packs of your choice. Dungeon Masters can often get by with just the Adventure of their choice and one or two Monster Packs.

Don't forget that players can gift purchases through Steam for Dungeon Masters who have linked their license on Steam.

WOTC5EDDBASICRULES.jpg

Zaukrie

New Publisher
But if I don't own a PS4.....or FG license, that is part of the entry cost. So, to play full D&D, 9t is 150, plus 50, plus 20 every adventure, on top of owning the same content in paper form. I know some won't like this opinion, but that's a lot of money.

Haven't used FG, mainly because of the cost, but I've heard good things. Overall, this sounds like a great move for gamers and especially for WotC--fifteen years, and now they finally have digital tools that aren't trending for embarrassment! (Rhetorically, what took 'em so long to just license it to somebody with a functioning and commercial successful product? :p)

My only complaint is that I've already thrown my digital D&D dollars behind Roll20. Still happy with that decision, but I suppose FG could merit a look.

Osgood

Adventurer
Good for those who use a virtual tabletop, but it's pretty useless to me. I was hoping for a tablet app to use around a physical table, similar to what Dungeonscape/Morningstar was supposed to be.

lkj

Hero
Good for those who use a virtual tabletop, but it's pretty useless to me. I was hoping for a tablet app to use around a physical table, similar to what Dungeonscape/Morningstar was supposed to be.

I'm going to guess that something like this is in the works as well. Whether it's a tablet app, a desktop thing, or both-- who knows. Seems to me that FG serves a particular need. So does HeroLab or its equivalent.

But I guess we'll see.

(And while Umbran is totally right that Smiteworks has no obligation to share license terms and perhaps has incentives or requirements not to do so-- Man, it's hard to resist asking).

AD

smiteworks

Explorer
We are not at liberty to share any information about the license terms.

As for looking for groups, we set up individual forums for different game systems and most people post there and occasionally on the FG calendar page (or both).

smiteworks

Explorer
Does it run on Mac? All my players have macs...

Warder

It does run on Mac and Linux under WINE. The easiest solution for most Mac users is to purchase the license for FG from Steam for Mac and then purchase all the DLC directly from our store. It's like a one click install at that point. When you launch it from Steam on your Mac, you'll go to your settings and link it with your Fantasy Grounds forum username and password so it can retrieve any DLC purchases you've made. The only issue we had with Mac is that the DLC bought directly in Steam doesn't auto-download. Those are not flagged as Mac compatible on Steam for that reason, but if you accidentally buy them anyway -- just shoot a note to support@fantasygrounds.com and we can add it to your FG forum account.

turkeygiant

First Post

Let's us all be aware that we are not entitled to details of licensing agreements, or other business information. Let us not put them on the spot on such matters too much, please and thank you.

It is a very relevant question though, if they are going to be the only company with a D&D license that would be major incentive to me to buy their product (I want digital tools), if they are just the first of many, I am going to have to wait though to see what the market looks like because their current offering doesn't line up very well with my needs, I could make it work but it is a lot of money to spend if it isn't my last option to consider.

With Roll20, you get "character sheets" that don't interact with what's going on in the game.

When was the last time you used roll20? And that false economy stuff is BS: I have used roll20 for two campaigns and only paid because I felt like I should.

I am a little worried that wizards is gonna get aggressive towards roll20 now, which could kill my games I have going now, at least for a while.

Remove ads

Remove ads